HaloMD

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Re: HaloMD

Post by TaxiService » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:02 am

>Taxi, your English skills are coming along very well
a-aw, not really! :sweating: but t-thanks dude!

>Does this accurately and concisely convey what you intended, Taxi?
For the most part, yeah! I took the liberty of trying to re-edit it a little. Here's the legend:
  • yellow text = things i didn't mean to convey
    cyan text = things i meant to convey but don't make the whole thing more succint
    underlined = text i modified
    [between parentheses] = text i added
    struckthrough
    = text i deem unnecessary
SparkyService wrote:I intended to provide constructive criticism. I don't know the details of why he was offended or quit, but I think we were too harsh on him and maybe also he quit too soon.
I understand that he has other responsibilities, yet I would have preferred he stayed with this forum community.
We all could have shown each other more respect; I could have better conveyed my love and appreciation for him. We must take care not to harm each other.

[To prove how much i cared about his project] I have some additional comments on the GUI he presented for HaloMD,
and I would have hoped he would have considered them and continued developing something nice for us to use.
Samuco presented the concept, and I liked his idea! I offered to refine the GUI elements for him, and he accepted. I also suggested that he tune their relative sizes (see the lower left corner), [since having precise GUI elements in an imprecise grid is kind of useless.] Also the buttons to line up with the internal box when the window width is at its minimum, the status text to remain visible rather than disappearing and the buttons' font to be different from what they are now.

I think this is cool and holds a lot of potential to become awesome! I hope Samuco keeps working on this properly when he decides he can be fucked, and not give up even though nil said that he would not like to add this to HaloMD (yet).
- I like how you rewrote the last statements using present tense. It makes much more sense! ◠‿◠
- I yellowed those two statements because he didn't give me the feeling that he had so much more important stuff to do. I mean, he must had more important things to do for sure, but I don't remember him ever mentioning that.
- I added [decides he can be fucked] in the end because he'd always say that he "couldn't be fucked" doing things. I think this mentality is what drove him away. (am i a passive-aggressive man-bitch? maybe! But i think that if he ever reads this again, he'll maybe understand which behaviours of him i deemed avoidable.)

In the end i think this is what happened:
His lazy efforts weren't enough to meet the quality standards of the dev team, and the dev team's eventual discouragement summed to his unwillingness to pursue objectives, led him to leave.

I may be a dick, i'm sorry. I can't just give all the fault to either one of the parties.
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:38 am

We should appreciate that a person dedicates time to participating by using the forum or developing applications.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:49 am

I agree completely, brotha!
MGM Sig

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:15 am

I set up and bought a server to support HaloPCServers and Phasor's services (it's becoming difficult for them to maintain their service, and they give us free servers too). So what this means is for now we have another MD server set up (calling it the null zone currently). Since we have a bloodgulch server, and a mapcycle-voting server, I'm thinking of making this as a mod server with no map cycle (we'd switch mods every once in a while).
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

zªCh

Post by zªCh » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:56 pm

can we port a list of the md mods over to demo
there is still a significant number of people that play demo, usually more on demo than on md

EDIT: after all i had to tell tons of people how to get mods from HDM and with that gone people are...well confused
-zªCh-
I remember thinking that halo would be the one thing that would never update past my mac.....then came HaloMD
now i have 3 versions of combat evolved on my mac...weird stuff.. now if only they made a ppc mac version of custom edition

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:47 pm

God dammit, we need to find a way to tell Demo people that they should move to MD. : \

We did set up a server with an url once, right? We should do it again. Maybe we could set up more than one servers and spell a message on multiple lines explaining what MD is, how to get it and why they should get it!
MGM Sig

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:14 pm

zªCh wrote:can we port a list of the md mods over to demo
there is still a significant number of people that play demo, usually more on demo than on md
Last time I checked this was not really the case. Either way, more importantly, there's less new people playing demo than there is MD.
zªCh wrote: EDIT: after all i had to tell tons of people how to get mods from HDM and with that gone people are...well confused
There's no reason to do this for MD, so there should be no confusion.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:41 pm

nil wrote:
zªCh wrote:can we port a list of the md mods over to demo
Last time I checked this was not really the case. Either way, more importantly, there's less new people playing demo than there is MD.
zªCh wrote: EDIT: after all i had to tell tons of people how to get mods from HDM and with that gone people are...well confused
There's no reason to do this for MD, so there should be no confusion.
not true. there will continue to be players playing and hosting halo demo far more throughout the day than halomd, and there are those who refuse to use halomd instead.

What I can do now is have the halodemomods.com page be my version of the HaloMD web site. This is better than a redirect to another server and will assist this "migration" attempt presently.

http://www.halodemomods.com/
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:38 pm

I am pretty sure I specified there are more *new* players on MD. Note I did not include "old players" or those that don't wish to move onto MD.

I'd prefer if you just hosted one server. What you're doing just has an effect of annoying demo players. Also, Modfox has a problem with you taking the site design and hosting it on your own site. I sort of have a problem with it looking so similar as well.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:24 pm

I have nothing to say until you realize we are helping each other.

HandofGod
Peon

Post by HandofGod » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:16 pm

I really do think it is important to try to convince these old Halo Demo players to switch over. Disagree with me or not I think it should be prioritized in a way to continue Halo MD's growth. While the user base has obviously diminished for both Halo PC and Mac (Full and Demo) we should try to gather most people under one roof. I believe it is more fun having experienced players (from Halo Demo or even Full) as well as newbies in one place and recruiting from Halo Demo would help that. I will work on recruitment when I have the time (i have both Halo Demo and Halo Full). Sparky's idea was great to link halodemomods.com to halomd.net and I support that. And I have noticed it's hard to convince people to switch over, but I will keep trying. It's just too bad we can't do an announcement or edit the GameSpy message ticker thing at the bottom, which says "Welcome to Halo Multiplayer!"

By the way, Sparky and I did some recruiting today and managed to garner some interest in Halo MD. We even played with a guy who downloaded Halo MD after being convinced by Sparky to try it on Halo Demo. It was cool to witness how surprised this guy was this that he had been missing out on so much. When stuff like that happens, it makes me feel happy to be a part of the Halo MD community. :D

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:52 am

What I can do now is have the halodemomods.com page be my version of the HaloMD web site. This is better than a redirect to another server and will assist this "migration" attempt presently.
You have not explained how this is better than a redirect. Let me explain how I think it is worse: you are creating a replica which will cause confusion (why are there two websites out there that look almost the same?). People will also get the wrong impression that HDM is "back." And linking to halomd.net would be more obvious, less deceptive, and more direct. Plus, this would split the effectiveness of the google-stats on the website, and to be simple and easy we want one correct website to link people. It's also more difficult to re-type and not everyone even plays for mods outside possibly triforce (hence the halodemomods name).

@HandOfGod: Sparky's way of hosting 30 servers is intrusive in my opinion, and shouldn't be thought of more effective than hosting one, two, or three of them. If you want to introduce people to MD from demo, you can try to talk to the players (and I think this is more important to prioritize).

Sparky, I don't hate what you're doing (that is, hosting servers in demo and informing people about MD). I just dislike how you are handling the hosting aspect and taking the website onto your own server.

Lastly, I will mention that I think a general YouTube video or two with a good number of views is most effective way I can think of right now for gaining new players. Not so much for software updating sites (well I don't want to risk posting it on MU). Been wanting to try this but haven't gotten around it.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:33 am

nil wrote:I just dislike how you are handling the hosting aspect and taking the website onto your own server.
nil, first you must understand how I am helping you. I am helping to bring more Halo Demo PPC players to use HaloMD, which has become your flagship hacked application and the premier version of Halo Demo promoted by this Halo community. What you are getting is free advertising, so I see gall in you antagonizing me for giving you free advertising. You want something done your way, but that is a problem because of the issue of boundaries, where I have no access to your server and you have no access to my server, and that is how it must be. You remember how I have in the past given you plenty of free usage of my web hosting for your own purposes. Then you decided to leave that behind because you no longer had use for it. Furthermore, you have shown little to no regard for what my plans are for the server, so do not tell me what I can and cannot do with it. Consider now the next issue:

Then, you must understand that this is an issue with boundaries. I pay hundreds of dollars to have this web server available for me to use for my own purposes, and I do not appreciate you telling me what to do with it and what I can or cannot do with it. Even if you paid me $100 or more, I would not allow you to determine what I use this server to do, because that is not within your jurisdiction or say. You are attempting to cross this boundary when you have no right and no legitimate reason to do so. What you have said is all fine and nice, and certainly I consider what you say, but you must leave me alone and let me deal with the server I pay money to use, and you deal with your own server that you pay money to use. Just like I do not tell you what you can and cannot do with "your" server, you should not tell me what I can and cannot do with "my" server. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Lastly, I respect that the original version of your web site and design were developed by you and Modfox. However, as I have said, mine is a revised version that I have provided to you free of charge but that you have neglected or refused to update on your web server. I am a professional web designer, and I know what I am doing in that regard. From what you have said, you appreciate my experienced contributions. Now I remind you again that we are together working towards a common goal: to bring more players to use HaloMD. It is futile for us to bicker. Let's turn off the egos and stay focused on the goal at hand. That's why I am not going to argue with you about this, because like I said, it is futile for us to bicker, especially when I'm giving your project premier bandwidth and hosting space for free and instead of appreciation I get more of the same old nonsense. But if you do not want me to participate in this, then I'm going to insist that you remove all your unwarranted comments about HaloDemoMods.com or any of my projects, all of which I see as libelous to all the hard work we in this community have put into that project. If you do not want me to participate by helping you with this goal you have mentioned at least 30 times in various forum posts to new community members and in discussions on the IRC and elsewhere, then I don't want you bashing HDM or any of my projects in an attempt to "participate" in them. We accomplish nothing by being at each other's throats. As I have said three times now, it is futile for us to bicker, so let's turn of the egos, show more appreciation for what we and other community members do for each other, and stay focused on the goal at hand, which is to bring more Halo for Mac players to HaloMD.

As far as explaining what I meant by the fact that I am helping, it is in regard to redundancy. But when I have revisions to make and I never see them made, I apply my own revisions where I can.

If you and Modfox insist, though, for your own reasons, whatever they may be (it would be wise to ensure those reasons are not shortsighted, arrogant and egotistical), I will develop a completely different web site for HaloMD. Not for you, and not for Modfox, but for the Halo community. If you are really serious about HaloMD, you will be able to put aside your own feelings about this and prioritize what is best for the Halo player and modder communities. In other words, you will take all the help you can get. But let's get one thing straight: I am NOT making the domain "www.halodemomods.com" a redirect to a web site that I have no say or control over, much less a web site that does not get updated for months after I provide the update. I do not whore web sites, least of all web sites that I and many others from this community have spent so much time and effort and expertise developing.

Now like I said, if irrational demands persist, I will acquiesce by refusing to help at all. There is only so much abuse I am willing to undergo before I avoid the abuser. If you want my free help, don't criticize me for it. If you don't want my help, say so immediately. I'm not going to continue offering my time, money, expertise and reputation and receive in return only ungrateful critical abuse from the person I am helping. You must tell me now what you decide, whether you are going to continue to be, for lack of a better term, unbearably contemptible, or whether you are going to be smart and mature. Maybe think it through before you respond.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:53 am

Sparky, if you want to have your site on halodemomods.com, please use a different design which won't look similar to halomd.net - should be no problem for a professional web designer. You are free to do this. This will cut down on the confusion of the two websites looking similar, and somewhat differentiate them more.

I have somewhat of an opinion on having a balance of free advertising and a way of morally doing it (hence my suggestion of 1-3 servers, not 30).

[EDIT]: I didn't neglect your web changes by the way. I actually did move some of them over. If you want to talk to me about updating the site, we could discuss that. I agree there's room for some improvement.

[EDIT2]: Made a few adjustments on the original site.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:15 pm

In compliance with nil's repeated insistence, though it was only implied, I ceased my activities related to HaloMD.