HaloMD

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

HaloMD

Post by nil » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:43 am

Let me bring you HaloMD: an attempt to bring Halo Demo into the modern age. In other words, a much improved unofficial update to the free Halo Demo that also runs on new Macs.

A general overview:
*This uses our own lobby. You host games in-game normally, but join games via the launcher.
*This includes Blood Gulch, Barrier, Crossing, and one campaign level - The Silent Cartographer.
**It's easy to install and play other multiplayer mods too.

You can view the HaloMD lobby on the web over here.

I will be posting beta versions. HaloMD requires intel OS X 10.7 (Lion) or later to run, but there are older versions for 10.6 and 10.5 intel.

If you're interesting in porting or making mods for HaloMD, you will need to check out MDRenamer.

If you are interested in MD's source code, it is available on GitHub.

Download
Last edited by nil on Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 84 times in total.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Samuco
Peon

Re: HaloMD

Post by Samuco » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:06 am

1. If HaloMD is able to post servers, why can't it read the HaloMD lobby instead of Halo Full?
2. Can HaloMD load the Mac Demo/PC Trial lobby? (I suspect not)
3. You can use a packet sniffer to find data sent to the gamespy server.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:19 am

Samuco wrote:1. If HaloMD is able to post servers, why can't it read the HaloMD lobby instead of Halo Full?
2. Can HaloMD load the Mac Demo/PC Trial lobby? (I suspect not)
3. You can use a packet sniffer to find data sent to the gamespy server.
1. HaloMD is modified to using HDM as the server instead of the gamespy server. It contacts a server script I wrote that is running on HDM. The server script does not exactly replicate the server list request gamespy uses. It is just kind of difficult to figure out how to load HaloMD lobby inside the game. The gamespy lobby sends a multiple of UDP packets (sending each one multiple times to make sure they send properly, probably) each containing something like the IP address and port of a game, and the IP and port to the next game to check, and Halo responds back in some acknowledgement manner - but all the data is encrypted, so that makes it all the more challenging. I haven't given much thought to this though, I will check out if I can figure anything out.

2. It is possible to modify the executable such that it loads the Demo or Trial lobby inside the game, but that provides no real benefits because the netcode is incompatible and you won't be able to play with such players.

3. A packet sniffer was used in our research, and I had needed one to create this. Much of our other research was posted in this thread.

I had thought you jumped off a bridge and disappeared, man :).
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:58 am

nil, post this topic on the HDM main page news and update the bold text on the main page regarding Halo UB Demo. Thanks!
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Fonzeh
Ranger
Location: "I didn't just take your mom out to dinner. I ate your mom for dinner."

Post by Fonzeh » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:26 am

halo pc players can join?

ill be home in u hours, whos hosting? im fuckin down
G[v]N wrote:HUGE NOTIFICATION
THIS GRAVY HAS BRAINS
Mota-Lev was here 30/4/2010@2:18pm

Samuco
Peon

Post by Samuco » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:13 pm

nil wrote: 1. HaloMD is modified to using HDM as the server instead of the gamespy server. It contacts a server script I wrote that is running on HDM. The server script does not exactly replicate the server list request gamespy uses. It is just kind of difficult to figure out how to load HaloMD lobby inside the game. The gamespy lobby sends a multiple of UDP packets (sending each one multiple times to make sure they send properly, probably) each containing something like the IP address and port of a game, and the IP and port to the next game to check, and Halo responds back in some acknowledgement manner - but all the data is encrypted, so that makes it all the more challenging. I haven't given much thought to this though, I will check out if I can figure anything out.
Script link? ;)
nil wrote: 2. It is possible to modify the executable such that it loads the Demo or Trial lobby inside the game, but that provides no real benefits because the netcode is incompatible and you won't be able to play with such players.
Thought so.
nil wrote: I had thought you jumped off a bridge and disappeared, man :).
=p

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:16 pm

I PMed it to you. Not going to open source this stuff yet.
[EDIT]: Updated to support leopard (intel).

Samuco
Peon

Post by Samuco » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:59 pm

Skype/AIM we can use?
[EDIT]Already have your AIM. Go online ^^

TheStrangeGuest

Post by TheStrangeGuest » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:05 am

Hello, HaloMD is a good job, i love it !

But always no games found : ( Because no players ?
And when i create a game, i see my server in HaloMD window ==> "Game Name: Players: ?????? Gametype: ?????? Access: ?????? Ping: ?????? Server Address: (my ip:port) " its normal ?

thanks !

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:19 am

TheStrangeGuest wrote: But always no games found : ( Because no players ?
Yeah.
TheStrangeGuest wrote: And when i create a game, i see my server in HaloMD window ==> "Game Name: Players: ?????? Gametype: ?????? Access: ?????? Ping: ?????? Server Address: (my ip:port) " its normal ?
You may not be able to host a game because you're likely behind NAT, which means you probably have to do port forwarding on ports 2302 - 2303 UDP. If you're on a network that you don't own, this may not be possible. You'll find this issue hosting for any kind of video game.

(Actually, for an entirely different reason, it could be normal too and your server could be working. The only way to find out is have someone trying to join your game. I'll consider this a bug for now and something I will eventually try to fix, however. [For the technical explanation, some networks will block you if you try to connect to yourself if you're coming from a private IP to a public iP, even if the public IP is you])

Short explanation: For now, it may be normal. :P. Have someone try joining your game. If he can't join, you'll need to try port forwarding.

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:06 pm

o_o. We need to get all of us on a server....
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:15 am

Amy wrote:o_o. We need to get all of us on a server....
I guess I'll host one leave it up all day as dedicated.
EDIT: It's up, you can join whenever.
EDIT 2: I'm also on Mumble.

EDIT 3:
nil wrote:*Bundle other demo mods (eg, crossing) that'd needed to be converted with pearl first (Modzy, again!)
*Icons, graphics, whatever.
Modzy, what's the status of Pearl 2.0 and its conversion capabilities between Halo Demo and Halo Full?

Slapzy, GvN, Taxi... myself included, you've got lots of options for artists for the icons, graphics and whatever.

Also, nil said this build will expire tomorrow, so I'll be hosting all day today.

HaloMD means "Halo Mini Demo", right? I'm thinking about the icon... maybe a masterchief helmet in the mouth of a Lion? Or masterchief helmet with the mane of a Lion colored around it? Or a graphical representation of a shrunken helmet? Eh... or a helmet on the left side, a lightning bolt to its right in the middle area as a divisor forward slash "/", and lots of mini helmets on the right side?

EDIT 4: Looks like I'll be releasing Galaxy Wars as a Halo Full mod rather than a Halo Demo mod after all. Well, that will do better with cross-platform issues anyway.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:17 pm

This makes me wish I had my computer. can we go over the 16 player limit? good job nil.
Yarok wrote:There may be a giant dildo protruding from your forehead.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:18 pm

i asked Roger Wolfson about that, and we'll see what he says.

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:48 pm

Joined sparky's game as some weird name "walla walla"
Hit change settings in-game and the game crashed. Froze and my music (lol) stopped for a couple seconds, then it went back to the server list. ;_;

EDIT: Hit "start" and edited all the settings. Rejoined sparky's game and had a great time haha, thanks nil.
Last edited by Amy on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.