HaloMD

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Re: HaloMD

Post by nil » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:22 am

Guest 123 wrote:It's better now with this b19, no freeze.
But today i noticed a strange thing in the Activity Monitor:

Just before launching HaloMD (screenshot):

And just after launching HaloMD (screenshot):

HaloMD (just the lobby app, not the game) use a very big part of "Inactive Memory" (color blue, ≈ 700Mb of RAM), i dont think it's normal : /
It's not only for b19, but even older versions. This thing explains a little bug i have since a long time: When i launch HaloMD, the app can't found servers game, i need to wait 30 or 40 seconds
for refresh and get the server list, the time to fill this "inactive memory".
How much real/physical memory does HaloMD use according to activity monitor? Just looking at a graph of overall memory usage is not very useful.

b16 has a different implementation of fetching games from the lobby compared to previous versions. Does this bug you encounter happen in every version? If you can reproduce it with b19, try taking a sample of HaloMD in activity monitor when it's misbehaving like I mentioned previously.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Guest 123

Post by Guest 123 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:46 pm

Oh, i found the source of this problem with HaloMD !
it's the Mac osx integrated firewall that causes this bug... If i turn it off, HaloMD work perfectly, no massive inactive memory, and the lobby is loaded immediately. If I turn it on, the bug is back...
b16 has a different implementation of fetching games from the lobby compared to previous versions. Does this bug you encounter happen in every version? If you can reproduce it with b19, try taking a sample of HaloMD in activity monitor when it's misbehaving like I mentioned previously.
Yes it's for every versions, for as long as i can remember. HaloMD is the only application causes this problem with the firewall, maybe a bug somewhere on my computer.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:54 pm

Guest 123 wrote:Oh, i found the source of this problem with HaloMD !
it's the Mac osx integrated firewall that causes this bug... If i turn it off, HaloMD work perfectly, no massive inactive memory, and the lobby is loaded immediately. If I turn it on, the bug is back...
Yes it's for every versions, for as long as i can remember. HaloMD is the only application causes this problem with the firewall, maybe a bug somewhere on my computer.
Could you still post a sample process when MD misbehaves? Activity monitor, View -> Sample Process.

Also, would it be possible to add MD to the exception list?
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Guest 123

Post by Guest 123 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:40 pm

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:11 pm

Couldn't get much from your sample report. I tried disabling the port mapping stuff MD does at launch. Let's see if this build acts better.

Guest 123

Post by Guest 123 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:47 am

Oh great ! Now all work perfect.
Thanks for your job ! O_)

Ebun101

Post by Ebun101 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:50 pm

I'm not trying to put anyone down with this, but why not torrent the full version? It works on lion and M-lion (not sure about mavericks, I'm a bit of a luddite), and would be a bit simpler than creating a new program solely for that reason. (Plus the full version has all the maps :wink:)

Unless theres separate servers set up that enable better connection/less lag, or something to that extent, I don't see why bother making a new program.

Ps: I haven't seen any mention of torrents, and I don't know if torrents are looked down on in MGM, if they are, I apologize and will remove this post.

HandofGod
Peon

Post by HandofGod » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:04 am

nil and others put alot of time and effort into Halo Mini Demo. Back in the day, before Halo MD was around, Halo Demo had a pretty big community with various mods and cool features before Rosetta support was dropped in OSX Lion. Many of those Demo players now play on Halo MD as Halo Full on Mac doesn't really support modding and is difficult to acquire legally. There are also alot of newbies too, which is cool. And yes, while the full version is available via torrenting, you can't play custom maps/mods on it. You need Halo PC Custom Edition and most of us are just on Macs... Gamespy servers are also iffy too now, which is why Halo MD's servers are so unique. There are people on MD with the full maps too and I think you can join via direct ip onto Halo Full servers (not sure). But try Halo MD out if you haven't already! Usually there are people on 24/7, though certain times of the day have more players.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:45 am

Ebun101 wrote:I'm not trying to put anyone down with this, but why not torrent the full version? It works on lion and M-lion (not sure about mavericks, I'm a bit of a luddite), and would be a bit simpler than creating a new program solely for that reason. (Plus the full version has all the maps :wink:)
HaloMD was not easy to 'make', but it is much easier to use than pirating the full version. If you torrent the full version, you have to find a legitimate serial key which is almost impossible. If you find a "bad key", you may not be able to host any servers, and you also may not be able to join half the games on the lobby at which point you'd ask "what's the point?" (Unless you're just interested in single player, in which case full version is fine, and MD isn't geared to that so much).

Mavericks broke compatibility with Halo on some systems. If it were not for this project, I'd have never fixed it.
Ebun101 wrote:Unless theres separate servers set up that enable better connection/less lag, or something to that extent, I don't see why bother making a new program.
HaloMD is really branched from the full version, except it has a lobby of its own. It supports playing custom-made maps with other players (which full version doesn't). You can also add all your full version maps into MD's map folder, and configure it so you can have a set list of full version servers you can quickly join with auto-remembered passwords, rather than being on full version with a whole list of servers (half of which you can't join).

We also make other improvements to the game which full version simply doesn't have (e.g.: chat during PCR, cmd+tab out of fullscreen). Once the changes are made, I can submit them, and players can be kept up to date.

P.S. some of our dedicated servers set up do have "less lag" (aka no leading), though that isn't specific to MD, and you can find those servers in full version if you know where to look.

Ebun101

Post by Ebun101 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:49 pm

nil wrote:HaloMD is really branched from the full version, except it has a lobby of its own. It supports playing custom-made maps with other players (which full version doesn't). You can also add all your full version maps into MD's map folder, and configure it so you can have a set list of full version servers you can quickly join with auto-remembered passwords, rather than being on full version with a whole list of servers (half of which you can't join).

We also make other improvements to the game which full version simply doesn't have (e.g.: chat during PCR, cmd+tab out of fullscreen). Once the changes are made, I can submit them, and players can be kept up to date.

P.S. some of our dedicated servers set up do have "less lag" (aka no leading), though that isn't specific to MD, and you can find those servers in full version if you know where to look.
Thank you for the explanation nil. I've been playing both full (guess I got lucky with a good serial) and HaloMD. I haven't re-downloaded all the editing software (my old mac died) so I haven't tried to edit full version maps, but some games/servers that are up seem to have some modding done to them, which prompted my question.
HandofGod wrote:nil and others put alot of time and effort into Halo Mini Demo. Back in the day, before Halo MD was around, Halo Demo had a pretty big community with various mods and cool features before Rosetta support was dropped in OSX Lion. Many of those Demo players now play on Halo MD as Halo Full on Mac doesn't really support modding and is difficult to acquire legally. There are also alot of newbies too, which is cool. And yes, while the full version is available via torrenting, you can't play custom maps/mods on it. You need Halo PC Custom Edition and most of us are just on Macs... Gamespy servers are also iffy too now, which is why Halo MD's servers are so unique. There are people on MD with the full maps too and I think you can join via direct ip onto Halo Full servers (not sure). But try Halo MD out if you haven't already! Usually there are people on 24/7, though certain times of the day have more players.
I have been playing since "Back in the day". I believe I started playing Halo Demo in 2007, found this site in 2009(?) and finally made an account here in 2011, so I do know and appreciate the amount of time and effort gone into evolving the combat of Halo on mac :wink:

HandofGod
Peon

Post by HandofGod » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:47 pm

I have been playing since "Back in the day". I believe I started playing Halo Demo in 2007, found this site in 2009(?) and finally made an account here in 2011, so I do know and appreciate the amount of time and effort gone into evolving the combat of Halo on mac
Been playing Halo Xbox/PC/Trial/Demo/Mac since 2003/2004 buddy... Just trying to be helpful, take it or leave it.

And I wasn't at all trying to put you down so I apologize if you interpreted it that way.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:44 pm

I am posting a new version of MD. Think of it as a public beta of a beta. In other words, I'm not releasing it to the masses yet. I want the build to get some testing before doing so. Before downloading this, please keep your original copy in case something goes wrong.

Notable changes to beta 21:
*Support for extensions (both map and global based). Think of them as memory mods on a scale not seen before. Global extensions are manageable by the user (turning them off or on), and map ones are manageable by maps.
*As such, removed port mapping support from MD and added it as an optional extension that the user can install.
*Added 002's map-downloader as a built-in extension. If you are connecting to a server that has a map that you do not have, it will automatically begin downloading the map.
*Added game favorites option in the Game menu allowing you to add specific IP addresses and ports to whatever servers you want.
*Nicknames in the chat room can now support more characters (UTF-8 ones precisely).

Things that I'd like testing:
a) See if the map downloader extension works
b) Test playing a map based extension (hopefully samuco submits one to the database shortly :P)
c) Test if things work alright on OS X 10.5.

Grab it here.

(P.s. If you don't want to download 300 MB and have b18, and are a little comfortable with command line, you can grab this patch which will require you to cd into the directory and execute run; then it'll output the new app onto your desktop).

Nintenman
Veteran

Post by Nintenman » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:03 am

Wow! This community has come a long way!
-Nate

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:45 pm

Turns out I'm posting another "beta of a beta":

Things added since last one:
* MD should react better (especially chat) when system goes to sleep/wakes up
* Added ability to restore the chat window on launch (as long as the OS preference is enabled, 10.7 or later)
* Fixed bugs with map downloader not working with some maps

So, still need to test map downloader, see if this new build runs on 10.5.8, and we still don't have a map based extension on the database yet.

Beta 22

[Edit: re-uploaded .zip file due to corrupted file]
[Edit2: here's the patch version as described in previous post]

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:17 pm

HaloMD b23 is out to the masses!

As usual, update within the application (via HaloMD -> Check for Updates...) or download it from http://halomd.net

Notable Changes:

* Added support for engine based modifications called Extensions
* Added built-in Map Downloader extension; if you join a game that changes to a new map you do not have, the map begins downloading automatically
* Removed the built-in port mapper which fixes freezing/firewall issues for some people. If you find that you can't host anymore, download and enable the port mapper extension from the menu bar
* Improved support for nicknames in the MD chat room, which can now handle more types of characters
* Chat room window can now be automatically restored at launch (requires OS X 10.7 or later and having "close windows when quitting an application" unchecked in System Preferences)

There is a new Extensions menu in the menu bar now. There's a few toys to play around with in there; e.g., the tab out unsupress, port mapper (is now an extension instead of built-in like previous versions). Also there are map based extensions which won't show up in the menu bar. To see what this is like, try playing the 3rd person map which you can find in the Mods menu.

Oh yeah, it has been 2 years since MD was first released in this thread. Been a while, hasn't it? Kind of scary. To celebrate, I made a video fairly recently of some MD footage.