HaloMD

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Sparky
Delta Force

Re: HaloMD

Post by Sparky » Tue May 08, 2012 8:33 pm

Modzy, did you confirm that information with MacSoft? I suggest giving them a call and discussing it with them; I know they've been very open to communications with me at least. You'll have to give them a call though, and I'd say ask if they have any suggestions.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Modzy
Green Beret

Post by Modzy » Tue May 08, 2012 9:01 pm

I confirmed the BSP nulling issues through several tests. The engine was never made to run without a BSP.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Wed May 09, 2012 12:19 am

I'll make a dummy bsp that you can import into these maps with Eschaton. I'll make the bsp an insignificantly small and transparent box and give the skybox its maximum size. I'll slap it all inside a +portal volume so that you can have background sound and weather in the map, I'll run radiosity, etc. and place it into a map where you can extract the bsp and swap it in with Eschaton. Sound like a plan? There's your workaround.

EDIT: "Maximum" acceptable size in 3ds max I heard was 150,000 for the skybox. That's about 3km of space for an open map; I tested it with my old galaxy wars map, and it works alright except that 3km is really not enough in my opinion. I'll see if I can make it larger, like say... 1,500,000 ... 30km should be plenty for most space-based or new scen-based maps. I'll bring it down so the center is where the 0x0y0z is.

EDIT: I was able to bring it up to about 280,000, which is a little over 5km in distance within the game. Still not anywhere near close to being a nulled bsp, but at least this gives you plenty of space for these maps and most scen-based maps we would be making.

EDIT: http://www.halodemomods.com/wiki/File:B ... mplate.zip There it is. Have fun. It works as JUST ENOUGH for my old Galaxy Wars scen-based map, giving it 3 km in every direction from the world center. The sky sphere is what is limiting the size, not the bsp terrain, which is a 1 3ds max unit sized cube with inverted glass faces. So yeah, invisible and will never be located in-game under any realistic circumstances at all ;) So what you want to do with that map I made is to use Eschaton to import its bsp into the existing scen-based map mods (the Halo Demo versions) that are having issues, then convert them to Full again. Based upon Modzy's description of the issue, there shouldn't be any problems. You can even try nulling out the bsp normally after you've imported this one, and see if the sky sphere (it's not a sky box here) will let you go further than 3km in each direction from the world center.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Fonzeh
Ranger
Location: "I didn't just take your mom out to dinner. I ate your mom for dinner."

Post by Fonzeh » Wed May 09, 2012 6:25 pm

I need to use that with recreation, I played it on demo today and just playing it 5 minutes I saw many things I plan to change. I plan on making a full fledge V2 for HaloMD.

Should be easy, wish I could open this map in Cinema 4D, be so much easier to perfect. I'm so OCD in my 3d models that this is gonna drive me crazy.
G[v]N wrote:HUGE NOTIFICATION
THIS GRAVY HAS BRAINS
Mota-Lev was here 30/4/2010@2:18pm

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Wed May 09, 2012 9:00 pm

sparky: I ran a test using your bsp in crossing and then converting it to full, and it seemed to work. (besides the console. that thing behaves oddly, but that's probably a map issue.)
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Thu May 10, 2012 12:38 pm

OK, so, Taxi was able to convert Barrier successfully using Sparky's BSP. Crossing converts but breaks the in-game console (some commands like sv_map do not work anymore). Depot doesn't even null the BSP, but I think it is broken beyond repair (Taxi mentioned something about the map being saved twice in swordedit and about the mod being problematic).
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Modzy
Green Beret

Post by Modzy » Thu May 10, 2012 4:20 pm

I'll update Pearl with Sparky's BSP and send it to the appropriate parties.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Fri May 11, 2012 10:41 pm

I uploaded alpha 13: it re-introduces Barrier, updates the Halo icon, and has a couple of frontend improvements found in the release notes.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Sat May 12, 2012 9:17 pm

Yeah I always wondered what I did to Depot to make it so broken yet somehow work....
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sun May 13, 2012 6:25 pm

In Barrier, the KOTH markers need to be fixed, and probably also the skull oddball markers. that's actually quite a lot of work. want me to do something about it?

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sun May 13, 2012 7:52 pm

Sparky wrote:In Barrier, the KOTH markers need to be fixed, and probably also the skull oddball markers. that's actually quite a lot of work. want me to do something about it?
Sure, go ahead.

They're probably broken in Shaft too, although the map is a bit protected. Taxi was looking into his version of the Shaft, but he was running into major issues similar to Depot (I don't think bsp was imported correctly). Basically, you need to make sure BSP Nuller has the "un-null BSP" button disabled on your map, even if you think you hadn't nulled out the BSP.

Also in Barrier, can you null the warthogs? I noticed they were spawning outside the map and falling into nothing-ness.

Sugarlumps
Ranger

Post by Sugarlumps » Mon May 14, 2012 4:42 am

nil, whenever I'm using HaloMD my shaders go all glitchy, especially in b30, where my water flashes pink and dull green on and off, and all scnr objects are invisible and appear to have no mod2. I'm using the original maps, so there shouldn't be a problem as well. My shaders are set to the highest, and the in game video settings are set to the default setting. Is this a known issue or is it my problem here?
Click!

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon May 14, 2012 10:40 am

Sugarlumps wrote:nil, whenever I'm using HaloMD my shaders go all glitchy, especially in b30, where my water flashes pink and dull green on and off, and all scnr objects are invisible and appear to have no mod2. I'm using the original maps, so there shouldn't be a problem as well. My shaders are set to the highest, and the in game video settings are set to the default setting. Is this a known issue or is it my problem here?
It's probably a Halo/graphics card issue. Only thing I can say is to try using vertex shaders only in the halo graphics startup window.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Thu May 17, 2012 5:55 am

Sorry, I'm really tired and worn-out right now. I'll see what I can do in the next couple weeks though... been busy otherwise with music-related things.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sun May 20, 2012 4:02 pm

To those that missed it, there was an awesome game yesterday in the public dedicated server.

There are newbies that discover HaloMD somehow online (eg: google) that I've played with. I am also advertising it somewhat on the Halo Demo lobby. A few manage to create their own games.

I want to finalize things and release an official version around June 5th. I want to do this before OS X 10.8 comes out. Gatekeeper in 10.8 will likely hinder users discovering HaloMD, and there's no telling (for other reasons) how many OS updates Halo will stay functional.

Right now only Shaft and Barrier are going to be included. Fixes for either of these maps (if possible) are welcome. They are going to stay. If anyone manages to find another suitable map or fixes one (eg, crossing), that's welcome too. If I think enough maps are not taken up, I will probably make one slot for mods (eg, gephyrophobia in HaloMD will show up as "Modded").

@Sugarlumps: Did you have advanced pixel shaders on? If you did, it may be a problem with that and changing it to just pixel shaders may be better. If not, try vertex shaders only like I previously mentioned.