HaloMD

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Amy
Green Beret

Re: HaloMD

Post by Amy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:43 pm

Moxus wrote:You know the little shafts on the a30 platforms where the beam would normally shoot out? The collision model is weak for that hole on the side facing the shotguns at the back of each base. If you bring a Ghost up there, run at the wall sideways, and get out just as the vehicle is hitting, you'll glitch through the wall and fall into the base's geometry. You can then easily walk out to the Banshee platform.

Satisfied that it's easy enough now?
Figured I could start being useful...

Just run the ghost sideways against that slanted wall as you exit the (right) side, and you have 100% rate of getting to the banshee. No chance, no weird key maneuvers.

(I also played a game of 2v2 and it was lots-o-fun still (: I'm happy to make sure this map gets into haloMD.)
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:39 pm

Amy, this glitch might not remain if this scenery was redone as the bsp of the map. This is one reason why it would remain a scen-based map.

Moxus, rebuilding the map for me involves using the HEK method. This is what I did. If you're not familiar with the process of developing map cache files with the HEK, I can elaborate.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Moxus
Delta Force

Post by Moxus » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:28 am

Sparky wrote: I can elaborate.
Please do.

-=Moxus=-

P.S. What do we do if we can't fix the console problem?
Kayar wrote:The Collective: Spamming its way to a better tomorrow.
Many thanks to the people who have made my years on MGM and on Halo Demo so memorable.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:32 am

>What do we do if we can't fix the console problem?

We have to analyze all of the differences between crossing and bloodgulch and check which one causes the console problem. o_o

If the issue is not related to any of the scens used (i still don't understand how a scen can cause a console problem, tbh), then I guess it must be some vehicle problem.

...yeah, actually, you know how each multiplayer map has all vehicles in it even if some (or all of them) don't spawn at all? Maybe the issue is related to the console not recognizing the "standard vehicle palette" that all multiplayer maps should have for it to function.

I mean, i'm just throwing ideas at the wall here.
But then: this should apply only to sparky's three-vehicle version. What about original crossing? Why was the console broken over there too?
Maybe it's the whole vehicle swapping in the scnr & matg that kills the console? I am only speculating!

Wait, i tested this quickly by swapping warthogs in sidewinder with scorpions and testing a map changing command, and it worked flawlessly. >:-\

Nevermind then!

TL;DR:

Theory: having vehicles set differently than in standard maps breaks console.

Experiment: swapping vehicles in a functioning map should break the console.

Outcome: console works. GOD DAMMIT FUCK

New theory: ?????
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:37 am

Sparky wrote:Amy, this glitch might not remain if this scenery was redone as the bsp of the map. This is one reason why it would remain a scen-based map.
Oh, I was just trying to make Moxus' instructions into a visual one for maximum simplicity, not trying to prove anything to what you guys are talking about.
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

kiddten
Commando

Post by kiddten » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:47 pm

Taxi, maybe nulled vehicle slots breaks the console? perhaps try that.
kiddten, on most things nowadays wrote:no
TaxiService wrote:HERE IS THE GODDAMN WALDO YOU CHEATING DICK
๖ۣۜĐeяP wrote:U MOTHER FUCKER AND U FUCKING PARENTS AND FUCKED OFF ASS HOLES

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:52 pm

Moxus wrote:
Sparky wrote: I can elaborate.
Please do.

OK
-=Moxus=-

P.S. What do we do if we can't fix the console problem?

Then you let me fix it. doublewaffletoasterstrudelpancakecopterlaughter
I should elaborate tomorrow. Been up since 5:15am as a poll worker and I'm mildly fatigued now that it's 9:54pm.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:04 am

@Amy: This post reminded me you had a mod which broke the console. Remember which one it was?

Taxi and I have recently been still working on improving Barrier, in terms of helping guide the player visually to red or blue base, and making the teleporters smoother. This is almost done.

Moxus, if we can't fix it then I guess I won't bundle it, and it'd be treated as a mod.

Some thoughts on outpost for Moxus:
I'd like this to be 'remade' too even though it may not have to be like the others. Or, at least replace demo fonts with full ones (Pearl retains fonts while doing conversions instead of replacing them). Fonts like typing, console, scoreboard, etc - that is my main worry.

I've already discussed darkness aspect.

Most of the teleporters are really used as 'doors'. Removing the teleporters may make the map flow better.
Although from what I can tell, there is a technical reason for using them. Keeping them may actually be fine.

I think this map needs to be a little easier to learn. I like the use of the red and blue lights though. So, there are two ways to exit the base: maybe have two arrows on the floor exiting out like in a bg base kind of, if this makes it more clear. I think when entering a base, there should be on top of the doors a red or blue base image (think danger canyon tunnel doors).

Once you exit from either one, there are three pathways. Mid, Long, Short (although short is as long as long, I call this one where you see the hole peeking gap to other side sooner). I think there should be an emphasis on differentiating them. Put a unique image (a rocket launcher? i don't know) above the four mid entrance teleporters (think how death island teleporters guide you to banshee or turret pathways).

Inside the middle area, there should be signs above the doors indicating whether it will lead you to red or blue base (could be a light beacon thing, or a colored image (think danger canyon tunnels)).

Generally If you are walking through the map and keep heading forward, you will head to the other base with a confusing exception: the side teleporters leading into the middle, or the side teleporters leading you out of the middle. These are also the only teleporters that aren't direct doors. I was thinking about removing them (which would remove the confusion), but actually, I think if the doors are just labeled like mentioned above, it may be sufficient. Also at the side entrance (from outside), since you can reappear there, it needs to be more clear which way is to what base (pretend you don't have nav-points, turn a bunch of times facing random direction, and don't notice a dim distant light - where do you go?)

In short: Add arrows if you think it will make it more clear as to exiting/entering, or to state the number of possible pathways (don't add them if you think it'd cause confusion instead of helping), Add labels to doors and possibly objects near the ceiling hint the user.

By the way, can teammates pass flags through the gaps? If so, that is pretty neat.

[EDIT]: Adjusted thoughts.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:00 am

nil wrote:@Amy: This post reminded me you had a mod which broke the console. Remember which one it was?
Shoot, we talked about it too, because your post says that we figured out it was mod-specific. Fuuck I can't remember which mod it was. >_<
MGM Sig

Moxus
Delta Force

Post by Moxus » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:07 am

@nil: In all cases, the teleporters are used as direct doors to link scenery pieces that are completely enclosed. I can look at implementing some of these changes, but I'm not free a whole lot in the coming weeks. Therefore, I can't guarentee a timeline.

-=Moxus=-
Kayar wrote:The Collective: Spamming its way to a better tomorrow.
Many thanks to the people who have made my years on MGM and on Halo Demo so memorable.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:44 pm

Taxi, are you still around? Anyone else? *chirps*

I think it'd be a good idea to have some progress on basically the most important thread on this page.

To recap: Shaft should be included. I think the entire SP map converted is probably a terrible idea. Barrier will be included but still needs minimal work (waiting on Taxi). Crossing and Outpost are kind of iffy, not sure if anything is going to happen at this point.

Also, I hate single player. Does anyone know how to remove campaign saves? So that if you beat the level, you can play it again and the game won't freak out about the level order being hacked. If single player causes trouble, I've no problem just removing it.

I'm also going to remove the useless display the pistol and sniper show when zooming and remove the blur with pixel-shaders enabled.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

zapconquest
Ranger

Post by zapconquest » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:31 pm

nil wrote:Also, I hate single player. Does anyone know how to remove campaign saves? So that if you beat the level, you can play it again and the game won't freak out about the level order being hacked. If single player causes trouble, I've no problem just removing it.
I don't know how to remove it but I know people like to make sp mods so it'd be ideal to leave it in there unless it's impossible.
I'm also going to remove the useless display the pistol and sniper show when zooming and remove the blur with pixel-shaders enabled.
lol sounds good

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:02 am

Gah, yeah! I'm here! I'm almost free too, you know. I'll be in #macgamingmods when i can!!!

And you won't remove the entire scoping masks, will you? The blur can be disabled in all maps with two simple bitmap edits, IIRC.
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:46 pm

Nil, on the topic of fixing the scope blur, don't forget the white radar glitch and such! Or does that no longer apply to MD...
MGM Sig

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:32 pm

Amy wrote:Nil, on the topic of fixing the scope blur, don't forget the white radar glitch and such! Or does that no longer apply to MD...
I don't think those bugs applied to Full version, but I'm not sure.