HaloMD

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Re: HaloMD

Post by nil » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:52 pm

TaxiService wrote:If needed i can provide a copy of Jon's gametype tool, a sample gametype document and the documentation he wrote back when he was an active member.

He told me not to give it to anyone, but so much time has passed… he wanted to make a gui for it before public release.
Not really needed. At least, I'd have no use for it.

As you can see, the current icon could use some work.. Anyone is welcome to attempt something better, although I do admit I may have high standards.

Anyone wanting to attempt, read "Icon Design Guidelines" in "Mac OS X Human Interface Guidelines" - also, preferably give PSD/project file otherwise export to high-quality PNG, never use JPEG, upload onto some kind of file uploading website, *not* an image uploading website (because they likely modify images to save bandwidth).. also make it transparent, unlike my icon, and design it 1024x1024, also unlike mine, and don't start with smaller size and blow the pixels up.. If you use vector art perhaps, I don't think this is an issue, so you should be (note: I'm no artist). ha, icon sizes get bigger every day....

We may need two icons: one for HaloMD launcher, another one for the actual game if we decide to replace the Halo Full icon.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:58 am

Alright i could try making a serious icon. Do i have a deadline? I'll be away for five days starting tomorrow, I won't bring the computer with me either. :-\

PS: what does HaloMD stand for, by the way? :?
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:20 am

TaxiService wrote:Alright i could try making a serious icon. Do i have a deadline? I'll be away for five days starting tomorrow, I won't bring the computer with me either. :-\

PS: what does HaloMD stand for, by the way? :?
Halo Mini Demo.

Sure, I'll set a deadline for you for the 18th. Do you have any ideas for icons?
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:33 am

Not really. :P As a first thought i thought of an icon somehow concerning a helmet. :-\ A master chief head, or something a la eschaton.
(…my concern here is that it could look too much like eschaton, though!)

But i don't know yet. I haven't thought about anything. :S Do you have any idea or request in particular, nil?
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Vegerot
SEAL

Post by Vegerot » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:37 am

I was thinking of an Eschaton-like thing too. I think Eschaton should win an award for best icon.
Bunneh wrote:Now, please don't spam my newsfeed on how you need like 3 dildoes to make a giant dick statue on penisland or any of those other shitty facebook games.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:44 am

It's an edit of one of these icons. These were around since when people used hex editors to mod maps..!

I was a kid the first time i saw those icons. I used to have an archive full of them and stuff… man, the nostalgia :'(

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:32 pm

The launcher icon doesn't have to be a helmet or a master chief. Someone suggested me a master chief being shot out of a cannon, but that could be weird... Some ideas: halo ring, helmet, flag, frag/plasma grenade.. Something iconic rather than something that may resemble gameplay. Avoid putting text in. The launcher icon could just be a variation of the other icon (for example, launcher has a halo ring underneath a helmet signifying a 'launch', and the real game icon will be similar except without the ring).

I.. do not like Eschaton's icon. The image quality is just unbearable.

It's funny you say "these were around when people used hex editors to mod maps" because before that time, Halo full modders actually used tools such as HMT and HHK (but then, again I'm sure hex editing was used before HMT was developed).

Also, Alpha 8 has been released:
Changes:
*Fixed issue where HaloMD could fail to parse data from games, causing them not to show up properly in lobby
*Replaced icon with a more bearable one, still temporary
*This will delta update from 1.0a7

Vegerot
SEAL

Post by Vegerot » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:53 pm

Or we could have a Master Chief or a Halo or something like that with a LION in the background. Signifying that this will be compatible with Mac OS 10.7
Bunneh wrote:Now, please don't spam my newsfeed on how you need like 3 dildoes to make a giant dick statue on penisland or any of those other shitty facebook games.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:59 pm

Vegerot wrote:Or we could have a Master Chief or a Halo or something like that with a LION in the background. Signifying that this will be compatible with Mac OS 10.7
No, that is a bad idea. Do nothing with lions or cats. It will look silly, and it will look even more silly when newer OS's come out (assuming that this will still function by then).

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:26 pm

Here's a webpage I just wrote up for viewing the servers in the HaloMD lobby: http://nilftp.halodemomods.com/lobby/

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:38 pm

I like the flag and plasma grenade ideas.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:16 pm

>iconic

Exactly what i was thinking. I couldn't think of the word or anything iconic at the moment of my last post, but yeah. definitely. ;)

Okay i'll work on it! I'll surely find some internet access where i am going, but if i don't, expect news after 7/3.

PS: oh whoops, i was referring to halo demo modding. :P Then again, i am not really sure at what point in time HMT and HHK have been used for modding demo! :-\ let's just say that those icons are pretty old!! (relatively)

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:02 pm

With version a8, my profile keeps resetting with each new game.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:51 pm

Sparky wrote:With version a8, my profile keeps resetting with each new game.
Try this:

1) Quit HaloMD and Halo.
2) Delete ~/Documents/HLMD/
3) Re-open HaloMD, choose a name, launch Halo.

I had a bug prior to Alpha 7 that didn't properly create the profile file.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:50 pm

That fixed it.