HaloMD

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Sparky
Delta Force

Re: HaloMD

Post by Sparky » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:08 pm

As nil implied and as I'm going to specify right now, this isn't a vote and there's nothing personal about it, Kayar. I'm in the same boat as you anyway in that regard and I can see that, so I'm sure you can also. My insistence upon having each modder submit something for consideration was pretty much not accepted based upon what nil said, so yeah, just leave it up to nil's judgment here. Playing those specific mods / maps, I can understand what nil was saying, and I think my old, unfinished Aquarius mod would have been a nice selection. I guess Amy's Moisture picked up where I left off, though.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Samuco
Peon

Post by Samuco » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:48 pm

Logmod.

I realise that this is a game changer mod, but it is one of the best mods (and simple too). One can whip up a logmod in like 10 minutes.
Add machines, you can theoretically build doors and walls.

Why not have two categories of maps? Game changers and Plain.

Kayar
Delta Force

Post by Kayar » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:19 pm

Sparky wrote:As nil implied and as I'm going to specify right now, this isn't a vote and there's nothing personal about it, Kayar. I'm in the same boat as you anyway in that regard and I can see that, so I'm sure you can also. My insistence upon having each modder submit something for consideration was pretty much not accepted based upon what nil said, so yeah, just leave it up to nil's judgment here. Playing those specific mods / maps, I can understand what nil was saying, and I think my old, unfinished Aquarius mod would have been a nice selection. I guess Amy's Moisture picked up where I left off, though.
I actually in this case was not being sarcastic or taking it personally or anything, I was being genuinely serious that I knew my maps weren't good enough to make the cut. I had been planning on making a smaller, more playable map at some point, but hadn't gotten to it, and then stopped modding. I may try again to make something playable, is there a hard limit to how many maps we can use for this? I guess the default number of multiplayer maps would be it? Sparky, you could try making another map as well, I think the HaloMD project could work in general as a good impetus towards more map production by the community, if we knew we could have a chance to get a map into the final product.
~Kayar~
TaxiService wrote:You haven't seen like the 90% of the dicks i drew. Someday i'll make a website where people will be able to browse the contents of my old notebooks.
WilliamSub wrote:They flock with your hormones
MGM Sig

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:43 pm

I think nil is looking for simple maps of different environments. This typically means he's looking for maps which null or make no use of the bsp and are scen-based.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:11 pm

Right, that's what I'm looking for. Not lame log mods. (Not like log mods are joiner friendly anyway!).

At this time, I'm thinking of bundling 5 'default' mods. I may also look into a better way of seamlessly installing and playing mods, but don't get your expectations too high on this.

I was beta testing Pearl and Modzy was able to fix a lot of issues in the past few days. (Barrier and Outpost had lightmap issues).

Shaft, probably going to include.

Crossing I'm considering. The energy sword in Crossing I can accept since it's melee only and not like a halo 2 sword, but I'd prefer if it didn't have the plasma rifle model.

Depot and Barrier I need to do play-testing. Depot is particularly strange in that it says it modifies the plasma rifle and turret (although it looks like in reasonable ways, and these aren't widely used weapons). Also, Depot's map layout is slightly confusing if you don't know it.

Moisture has some issues before I could consider it. The Fog plane needs to be reduced for the underground tunnel (Halo Demo wasn't rendering it correctly). The tunnel needs to be moved farther away from the rest of the level so you can't jump on top of it. And everything needs to be high enough so that you can't fall off and land on the ground without dying.

Outpost is dark, and confusing; that's my impression. People could turn off their shaders removing the darkness giving themselves the upper hand. Don't think that works too well.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Vegerot
SEAL

Post by Vegerot » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:02 pm

nil wrote:People could turn off their shaders removing the darkness giving themselves the upper hand. Don't think that works too well.
That's called cheating though. Also, you could turn off stuff and have active camouflage be ineffective. Does that mean the we shouldn't have active camo? No. Cheaters gonna cheat, but we shouldn't let that effect us.
Bunneh wrote:Now, please don't spam my newsfeed on how you need like 3 dildoes to make a giant dick statue on penisland or any of those other shitty facebook games.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:35 pm

Vegerot wrote:
nil wrote:People could turn off their shaders removing the darkness giving themselves the upper hand. Don't think that works too well.
That's called cheating though. Also, you could turn off stuff and have active camouflage be ineffective. Does that mean the we shouldn't have active camo? No. Cheaters gonna cheat, but we shouldn't let that effect us.
Adjusting graphics settings that Halo allows you to adjust is not cheating. It's very odd to have a map that relies on having the shaders. As far as I can remember, camo isn't suppose to be completely visible regardless of settings unless it's by graphical glitches/graphics card issues.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Vegerot
SEAL

Post by Vegerot » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:28 pm

If I remember correctly, if you change your setting you can make the camo just make people a little white. Still 95% visible.
Bunneh wrote:Now, please don't spam my newsfeed on how you need like 3 dildoes to make a giant dick statue on penisland or any of those other shitty facebook games.

Samuco
Peon

Post by Samuco » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:46 am

Or just replace the camo shader with the sun shader?

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:18 am

Samuco wrote:Or just replace the camo shader with the sun shader?
HAHAHA why was that so funny. xD

@Nil: I'll help you out with all the play-testing if you want, especially if it's on Depot.
also yeah I feel that moisture had too many game-breaking glitches and ways to get off the map.
I think that Crossing, Shaft and Barrier are pretty definite, seeing as how they seem to be exactly what you are looking for.

@Kayar: Yeah, I feel like people are all shuffling around trying to see if they can make a good scenery map for Nil to approve of before the release of MD hahahaha.
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:04 am

I've always felt that there should be some map that includes that area below the shaft. But yeah i'm on a mac till sunday so I can do testing till then.
Yarok wrote:There may be a giant dildo protruding from your forehead.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:09 am

If you want to take a look at some of my mods, consider The Grid and Weapons Evolved. These are, eh... using Bloodgulch as a base map though.

Like Amy said, I might cook something up quickly based upon scenery, but I tend to overdo things and they don't look that great. I guess you might consider Space Slopes, then.

Did you go through all the mods in the mod database?

Also, are you willing for me to present some multiplayer maps from Galaxy Wars towards this project? They are new maps built in the current Halo CE, not Zeus, since I'm not entirely ready to continue Zeus because I'm still learning how the HEK works and the nuances of maps with the game engine... moar research.

What's your take on using certain UI maps? I ask because of our recent discussions and the fact that Galaxy Wars already has a new ui.map file almost finished.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:42 pm

If by UI map, you mean like a new UI with menu's being different, I wouldn't be completely opposed to the idea.. I guess I'd just have to see it.

I skimmed through the mod database and that's how I was able to recommend some of the mods that I did.

Galaxy wars and Space Slopes aren't Halo enough for my liking.

I want to push an update soon with some of the maps, which can be removed or updated at a later stage, since this is alpha.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:56 pm

this is my demo UI. The camera follows a different route than in the original ui. Maybe the new UI could be something similar?
By something similar i mean: just putting the text aside and modifying the camera's route, instead of photoshopping every single bitmap in it.
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Moxus
Delta Force

Post by Moxus » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:25 am

In regard to some of my maps that're being discussed:
  • • Thinking back to when I worked on Isle, the map is great as an aesthetic piece, but in reality I'm not sure how well it would play as a mainstream map.

• People worried about the darkness on Outpost 49 have good points; in places, it is darker than it should be, and unfortunately you can "cheat" (Halo wasn't really made to have maps in pitch darkness). Having said that though, I wouldn't be opposed to lightening the lightmaps a touch; I think many would find that the layout and gameplay could be really good if the map had the chance to prove itself.

• Crossing's Energy sword FP could be replaced, so long as it doesn't end up looking like some Halo 2 or 3 rip off; I purposefully used the Energy Sword from Halo Demo for a reason.
In addition, Barrier is a solid map as well. I'd support that making it in.

-=Moxus=-

P.S. How is it we're going about the conversion of these maps for HaloMD, anyways? Most of my mods won't work with just a Demo Hack.
Kayar wrote:The Collective: Spamming its way to a better tomorrow.
Many thanks to the people who have made my years on MGM and on Halo Demo so memorable.