Things worth a little consideration from the almighty modder

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Sparky
Delta Force

Re: Things worth a little consideration from the almighty mo

Post by Sparky » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:23 pm

I know you have all the shader-based "decals" in the sbsp and they're pretty much stuck there (you'd also want to adjust the radiosity, since they emit a green glow) except for the decals which are actual decals and these are the blue and red base symbols on the outsides of the bases, and those real decals are in the scnr tag and can be moved, removed, swapped, modified, etc. But the moss is not really a decal; it's closer to a shader bitmap applied to a polygon in the sbsp, similar to how the interior base "light" shader/bitmap things are. One would typically load the level in 3ds max in order to adjust the moss or the lights and then run radiosity again. But that's an HEK process, not an Eschaton process.

Also, Eschaton is unable to add references; it can only modify what is already there or import/export the tags and tag data in their entirety.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Modzy
Green Beret

Post by Modzy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:44 pm

Moss isn't decal? Freakin' Bungee.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:59 pm

Nope, but we can make it into one if we want.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

a bullet

Post by a bullet » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:23 pm

Well, it's good to know what my boundaries are on modding, as to what I can/cannot do simply. However, I was searching around through eschaton to find a scale modifier for scenery tags, and most plugins don't have any information on scenery. I tried all of Sparky's variations on plugins such as default and experimental, but didn't find a scale modifier. The mod2 section didn't have any scale references either.

I was mainly concerned about decreasing the size of a scenery object, but again do not know where to look.
Whenever I see Nuthead's avatar all I can see is a sad, abandoned cigarette butt that is forced to spend the holidays all alone in the cold.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:55 am

I, uh, don't think you can do that. Even Bungie had to make different versions of the same rock with different dimensions. (see a30 rocks)

The only things I know you can scale are third person weapon models. Both on the ground and while being held, if i recall correctly.
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

a bullet

Post by a bullet » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:40 pm

:l
Well uh oh. I was wondering mainly because I stole (teehee) a water .scnr tag from a Custom Edition map, which tends to cover about two thirds of the entire bloodgulch map. I was hoping to downsize it that way I could add the occasional pond in certain areas rather than have a freaking huge section of water flood the entire bsp. Oh well.
Whenever I see Nuthead's avatar all I can see is a sad, abandoned cigarette butt that is forced to spend the holidays all alone in the cold.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:35 pm

Hm. I'm sure there is some other way around…

Actually i have a bit of a crazy idea. >_> What if… listen to me here …what if we made an unusable weapon, gave it the water plane model and scaled it to fit into the pond?

If we did that, two problems would arise:
· its shader will be scaled down too, so we need to scale it up in the shader's options themselves. (otherwise it'd look super detailed) (or maybe not?)
· we gotta find a way to keep that weapon not moving (maybe killing its coll or foot, i don't know)

… o_o wh- uh, what do you think?
MGM Sig

Smythe
Commando

Post by Smythe » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:23 pm

TaxiService wrote:Hm. I'm sure there is some other way around…

Actually i have a bit of a crazy idea. >_> What if… listen to me here …what if we made an unusable weapon, gave it the water plane model and scaled it to fit into the pond?

· its shader will be scaled down too, so we need to scale it up in the shader's options themselves. (otherwise it'd look super detailed) (or maybe not?)
· we gotta find a way to keep that weapon not moving (maybe killing its coll or foot, i don't know)

That might work, but there'd be nothing to stop it spinning when shot i don't think.

kiddten
Commando

Post by kiddten » Tue May 01, 2012 12:36 am

yeah but if you give it a really small coll model, how would you be able to shoot it?
kiddten, on most things nowadays wrote:no
TaxiService wrote:HERE IS THE GODDAMN WALDO YOU CHEATING DICK
๖ۣۜĐeяP wrote:U MOTHER FUCKER AND U FUCKING PARENTS AND FUCKED OFF ASS HOLES

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Tue May 01, 2012 1:50 am

We could even not give it a coll at all, eh. My fear is about explosions though. I don't remember how the coll-less weapons act in case of explosions. :-\
MGM Sig

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Wed May 02, 2012 3:43 am

I don't think it would be affected by explosions either, or it might disappear.

a bullet

Post by a bullet » Thu May 03, 2012 2:46 pm

Or I could always use the OBJ Converter to export the model into Blender and size it down in there. The model is only a square plane anyway so it shouldn't bring up any problems.

a bullet

Post by a bullet » Sun May 27, 2012 6:47 pm

I hope that I'm not the only one who is having extreme difficulty saving any changes done to 'The Island' (multiplayer version) in SwordEdit.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sun May 27, 2012 6:58 pm

Are you using swordedit: starlight, or genesis? The Island is the most extreme case of potential map corruption you'll probably ever see in a published map. It should still work, though.

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Mon May 28, 2012 5:32 pm

TaxiService wrote:Hm. I'm sure there is some other way around…

I think this calls for halo demo modding!
*goes back to sleep*
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.