How would you improve Halo Combat Evolved?

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Sparky
Delta Force

Re: How would you improve Halo Combat Evolved?

Post by Sparky » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:16 pm

nil wrote:Such improvements say could be:
*Creating more maps that replace weak or unpopular maps (eg: chiron, infinity, boarding action, death island, longest). Think Crossing, Outpost 49, Shaft, Barrier.
The specific wording you chose here is notable. I think this relates to my first video tutorial in that we could import existing multiplayer map levels and make them "Extreme" versions, as in my Bloodgulch Extreme mod replacing Bloodgulch.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Samuco
Peon

Post by Samuco » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:19 pm

I don't want people to introduce a tonne of weapons into maps either. It becomes frustrating with so much choice, like in reach.
Keep it simple.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:17 pm

o_O Could I ask you to argue why you think that reach's weaponry is frustrating, Samuco? Like, I don't consider it so, thus i want to know your point of view!

and SHIT!!! If i had the time, tools and motivation i'd make maps so sweet that you guys would shit liquid for months just thinking about them.

The tools can be acquired. Motivation can be found or even neglected. The only thing i am missing is time, but i think i'll have enough of it this summer if i stop progressing my real life.
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Samuco
Peon

Post by Samuco » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:29 am

DMR, Needle Rifle, Gravity Hammer, Energy Sword etc are stupid weapons. It basically makes the game unfair.
You spawn with a pistol (which sucks in reach) and an assault rifle. The enemy has a weapon which is pretty much an aim-bot and can kill you from the other side of the map.

The less gun types you have, the more balanced a game is. Reach is just full of nooby-weapons. Imagine if the only weapon was a pistol O.o

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:05 am

Well, the pistol is pretty unbalanced in Halo 1 too! …but yes, having both a pistol and a DMR in game is an odd choice. It seems that the DMR has a farther range to justify its existence, but yeah, what the hell.

Anyway I don't dislike the needle rifle. I mean, i don't really like its design, but I wish they came up with such a weapon earlier in the series. (instead of the H2 carbine maybe?) I like its concept! and the covenant arsenal (at least in halo 1) is lacking a ranged weapon, so developing a Halo1 version of it would be an interesting idea, in my opinion.
(oh but you think that since the pistol already does this job having a covenant counterpart would be useless..? well, i see your point. :-\ It'd be fun designing this weapon though! If there is a way to make its projectiles add up with the needler's for the supercombined explosion then it'd be even interesting-er!)

Also i agree about the stupidity of weapons such the sword and the hammer; the sword can be a bit serious-er (and a pain in the ass) than the other in specific situations; the hammer though is pretty fun if you use it to suicide-rush hordes of enemy players or unsuspecting vehicles..!

PS: OH OH HEY I KNOW WHAT TO IMPROVE!

- Moving while crouching doesn't reveal your position in the motion tracker.
I did this in one of my mods. Probably i didn't release the mod though..? It's something in either matg or hudg, i believe? it was like a value for the "minimum velocity" that registers as a movement on the m.tracker… (also i had lowered the cyborg crouching speed a little bit, but who cares!!!)
MGM Sig

kiddten
Commando

Post by kiddten » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:10 am

I really think the accuracy on the AR and may PR need a bit of a boost. their spread pretty much equals the shotgun, so there is no medium except the pistol.
kiddten, on most things nowadays wrote:no
TaxiService wrote:HERE IS THE GODDAMN WALDO YOU CHEATING DICK
๖ۣۜĐeяP wrote:U MOTHER FUCKER AND U FUCKING PARENTS AND FUCKED OFF ASS HOLES

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:54 pm

TaxiService wrote:Well, the pistol is pretty unbalanced in Halo 1 too! …but yes, having both a pistol and a DMR in game is an odd choice. It seems that the DMR has a farther range to justify its existence, but yeah, what the hell.

Anyway I don't dislike the needle rifle. I mean, i don't really like its design, but I wish they came up with such a weapon earlier in the series. (instead of the H2 carbine maybe?) I like its concept! and the covenant arsenal (at least in halo 1) is lacking a ranged weapon, so developing a Halo1 version of it would be an interesting idea, in my opinion.
(oh but you think that since the pistol already does this job having a covenant counterpart would be useless..? well, i see your point. :-\ It'd be fun designing this weapon though! If there is a way to make its projectiles add up with the needler's for the supercombined explosion then it'd be even interesting-er!)

Also i agree about the stupidity of weapons such the sword and the hammer; the sword can be a bit serious-er (and a pain in the ass) than the other in specific situations; the hammer though is pretty fun if you use it to suicide-rush hordes of enemy players or unsuspecting vehicles..!

PS: OH OH HEY I KNOW WHAT TO IMPROVE!

- Moving while crouching doesn't reveal your position in the motion tracker.
I did this in one of my mods. Probably i didn't release the mod though..? It's something in either matg or hudg, i believe? it was like a value for the "minimum velocity" that registers as a movement on the m.tracker… (also i had lowered the cyborg crouching speed a little bit, but who cares!!!)
In Halo 2, you only ever use the sword in close quarters. Bloodgulch doesn't often feature close quarters.

Can I revise your motion tracker suggestion to say, "include a bitmask32 flag in the bipd tag which says 'crouching does not ping motion tracker'"?

About the sword, there could be a value in the jpt! tag which funtions as an "attraction" value, which would be an inversion of the "instantaneous acceleration / force" value. It would have to probably coincide with a bitmask32 in the proj tag saying something like "internally tracked by jpt!", so that the bipd can be drawn to the target along the path of the projectile, in this case, an invisible projectile used by the sword.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Samuco
Peon

Post by Samuco » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:50 pm

What is the status of the source, like, what makes you think we have a chance?
(i.e. which signs are indicating it is possible?)

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:34 am

A fine question.

I have the contact information and I am actually waiting to collect information here from our discussions in order to first determine if this is a valuable path, second determine how valuable it would be, third determine what kinds of goals would exist for it, and fourth determine what resources (ie, time, effort and money) would be necessary to invest in order to reach those goals. I would then use this information in my correspondence with Microsoft, based upon what was first determined.

Simply, I need to know why this is worthwhile before I can promote it or throw any money at it.

--

Another idea is to look at other games and see what you like about them.

I think the campaign details could be changed. If you look at Skyrim, you have an open environment where you can explore and interact with NPCs. Halo is more of a shooter game where all interaction is done via model animations with camera tracks in cutscenes where the player loses all control and has no role in the interactions, and also in simple control switches, toggling them on or off once. An environment where you are not led down the golden brick road would be more realistic, kind of like how you can disable nav points on your HUD in gametypes. Exploring and seeking out NPCs with which to communicate would be a more immersive experience.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:36 am

>more immersive experience

i think you mean "another game".
MGM Sig

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:42 am

Not necessarily. I mean a prompt to "Press (activate key) to contact Full Hammer." I mean ways in which you would take a more direct role in the events, and where you can control the position of the camera during cutscenes, like a dynamic trak as normal.

Then you would be able to see the masterchief's face at the end of the game.

I mean where you can decide for yourself where to explore, rather than exploring the boundaries of what is essentially a glorified hallway that you might otherwise be tempted to simply run through to reach the ending.

EDIT: Halo is basically a brain-dead shoot-em-up, even less mentally engaging than Marathon was, and with a watered-down horror element. We need to change that.

Samuco_

Post by Samuco_ » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:01 pm

It would be very profitable. If you put halo on the Mac App Store and iOS App Store with full networking capabilities.... ...
You will sell tonnes.

These non-bot questions hurt my brain :(
"What is the name of this site backwards?" sd omg ni magcam

Dead Site
Veteran

Post by Dead Site » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:34 pm

It would be really nice if the Halo devs were nice enough to let us put HaloMD on the Mac App Store..

Also, Samuco, you have your stuff on the Mac App Store already, don't you?
[url=steam://friends/add/76561198023999718]Image[/url]

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:07 pm

Changing weapons, adding weapons, adding vehicles is most likely actually changing rather than improving the game, which is not what I want to aim at.

I used to play Halo 1 competitively, so I know how the game is played. For instance, lead is one of the most fundamental aspects of the game; it is what separates novices from pro's.

Completely distinctive to Halo games on the consoles. Nothing alike, at all.

As far as single player goes, it's not really that interesting to me anymore.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Samuco_

Post by Samuco_ » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:11 pm

Cronos Dage wrote:It would be really nice if the Halo devs were nice enough to let us put HaloMD on the Mac App Store..
Without microsoft/bungie/whoever actually owns halos written permission, unlikely.
Cronos Dage wrote:Also, Samuco, you have your stuff on the Mac App Store already, don't you?
Yes, but it needs to go through Apple first who won't accept it without permission.