Bungie's Mistakes

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Sparky
Delta Force

Bungie's Mistakes

Post by Sparky » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:47 am

I found a mistake. How many have you found? (This is a pessimistic topic but one that inspires improvements.)
characters\cyborg\cyborg animations.model_animations
Animations: crouch pistol move-left
right foot frame index: 16 (should be 15)
Animations: s-kill left gut (crouched kill from the left gut area)
sound: NONE (should be "general")
sound frame index: 0 (should be 15)
Animations: s-kill front gut (crouched kill from the front gut area)
sound: general (should be "skillfrontgut")
EDIT: I found several other omissions and annoying mistakes in the cyborg 3p animations tag.
Last edited by Sparky on Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Ranger

Re: Bungie's Mistakes

Post by 002 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:47 am

Some common "glitches:"

The rock trick

You can reload faster if you melee in the middle of reloading

Your shields cannot be damaged by non-fatal attacks and some normally fatal attacks when overcharging from picking up an overshield

A charged plasma pistol or an unstuck plasma grenade explosion cannot drain your shields when overcharging from picking up an overshield

A vehicle can push you through many walls, often causing you to die from the endless fall

Getting killed by a dead person's bullet may cause the game to give credit to "the guardians" instead of the dead person

Halo only uses UDP, not TCP and UDP like many games use, which can sometimes cause unexpected client-side glitches like unmanned banshees on autopilot, "cloned" players, "invisible" players (often at the same time as "cloned" players), players spawn but they don't know they've spawned, the host has a ping other than zero (often unusually higher than most players, this can occur from other glitches, too!), crashes, lag, etc. This usually occurs when too many CSS entities (CSS projectiles, vehicles, bipeds, equipment) exist at the same time, often caused by mods. This is due to packet loss or corruption.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:42 am

Not even in my wildest dreams i could imagine a cyborg moving his legs while walking and throwing a grenade.
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:12 pm

Sparky, don't change the animations for regular weapons. You're convinced they're mistakes while we (on IRC) don't really believe that's the case..
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Dirk Gently
Commando

Post by Dirk Gently » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:53 pm

nil wrote:Sparky, don't change the animations for regular weapons. You're convinced they're mistakes while we (on IRC) don't really believe that's the case..
To be more detailed on it:

There are a number of weapon types in halo, what you are seeing are the individual weapons classified into these types. These were created for a few reasons, but primarily it was to be able to use the same animation graphs for multiple weapons when they had the same holding position and placement. You can will notice that many of the animations share similar motions. This is by design to cut down on needed resources to be loaded (keep in mind this was designed with xbox gen 1 hardware in mind). You can also create custom gametypes that use specific weapon groups, this comes up again as a use for classifying weapon types.

The lack or apparently lack of content isn't due to bungie making mistakes in shipping, they are by design to make more use of game assets.

a bullet

Post by a bullet » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:53 am

I wouldn't really call this a mistake but whenever I talk about Halo 1's multiplayer fuel rod gun I say 'Plasma Cannon' rather than 'Fuel Rod Gun' as it is what I'm familiar with editing in Eschaton, and this often confuses all my halololing friends. EDIT: Today while playing on b40 I realized that the weapons \ sniper rifle \ effects \ impact ice effect leaves a plasma burn decal rather than a bullet hole.
Whenever I see Nuthead's avatar all I can see is a sad, abandoned cigarette butt that is forced to spend the holidays all alone in the cold.