HaloDemoMods.com is Migrating

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Sparky
Delta Force

HaloDemoMods.com is Migrating

Post by Sparky » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:35 pm

HaloDemoMods is migrating from its existing server to the newer server used by the Blam! Developer Communities Network. The domain name will remain halodemomods.com, and everything else from the user-end should remain the same. This will enable us to do more with HDM than the previous server allowed. The hosting provider is the same. The transfer will take a couple days. The HDM wiki is locked and in a few minutes the site will be inaccessible through the domain name but will be accessible via the IP address:

http://208.131.147.123/

After a short time, the wiki will again be available via the URL http://www.halodemomods.com/
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Re: HaloDemoMods.com is Migrating

Post by nil » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:48 pm

Sparky wrote:HaloDemoMods is migrating from its existing server to the newer server used by the Blam! Developer Communities Network. The domain name will remain halodemomods.com, and everything else from the user-end should remain the same. This will enable us to do more with HDM than the previous server allowed. The hosting provider is the same. The transfer will take a couple days. The HDM wiki is locked and in a few minutes the site will be inaccessible through the domain name but will be accessible via the IP address:

http://208.131.147.123/

After a short time, the wiki will again be available via the URL http://www.halodemomods.com/
Well, the URL works, but the lobby is now down again.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:14 am

Stop.
Listen.
Monday, I am planning to do this:

1. Transfer the rest of the files from the Halo Demo Mods server to the Blam! Developer Communities Network server.
2. Transfer the Halo Demo Mods wiki database from the Halo Demo Mods server to the Blam! Developer Communities Network server.
3. Install the newest version of the MediaWiki software using that database. Appropriately set up the wiki so it runs fine from the new server.
- The Halo Demo Mods wiki will eventually be transformed into a wiki about the game and modding the game and so on, while the uploaded files portion of the site will be redone separately from the wiki in a more user-friendly setup.

4. Tell people to contact me for their new e-mail account passwords.
5. Fix or remove any intentionally-broken links.

October 6th is the expiration of the older server. I would need to finish transferring the files and setting things up by that date.

The domain HaloDemoMods.com and all associations related to it should remain intact after this process is finished.

Once I'm done with this, then I can run scripts for the server to juggle.

Once I'm done with this, then I can continue developing version 0.5 of Zeus, which features tag metadata display and some other nifty features shortly thereafter, such as displaying a list of changes made to the active map file during that session and being able to modify the metadata in ways not requiring map rebuilding -- just to throw out a bone there while more complicated synchronization checks are in the works, like maybe figuring out how much of the mapfile to keep in the memory versus writing to disk repeatedly, and adding a little spinner gif next to the change to indicate the status of it being saved (in case reading all the map file data into memory is not a worthy option).
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

zªCh

Post by zªCh » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:08 pm

if this process is already done then WTF happened to the site I'm making a huge mod on my own but i need some slight help/reassurance i mean what good is a map that will probably end up being over 100 megabytes if i cant share it

sorry if i seem needy but i haven't been able to host a single mod i want to play for a while and I'm certain my halo buddies aren't to fond of this ether
-zªCh-
I remember thinking that halo would be the one thing that would never update past my mac.....then came HaloMD
now i have 3 versions of combat evolved on my mac...weird stuff.. now if only they made a ppc mac version of custom edition

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:39 pm

zªCh wrote:if this process is already done then WTF happened to the site I'm making a huge mod on my own but i need some slight help/reassurance i mean what good is a map that will probably end up being over 100 megabytes if i cant share it

sorry if i seem needy but i haven't been able to host a single mod i want to play for a while and I'm certain my halo buddies aren't to fond of this ether
HDM has been "shut down" ever since Sparky "left" MGM.

If you need help, this is what this forum is for.

You can still use a site like mediafire or what not to upload your mod. Make sure your mod is compatible with MD.

If it's playable among people online (i.e, no terrible sync related things like AI's), then the most effective way to share the mod is on the MD database, which is simply requesting me to put the mod onto it. Then, people who even know nothing about mods, can play your mod.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

zªCh

Post by zªCh » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:59 pm

well that sucks now i'm kinda sad making a big mod and the site we all know and love is gone......i will try to see if i can create a free site to put mods on from now on if i am successful i will need help spreading the word
-zªCh-
I remember thinking that halo would be the one thing that would never update past my mac.....then came HaloMD
now i have 3 versions of combat evolved on my mac...weird stuff.. now if only they made a ppc mac version of custom edition

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:05 am

zªCh wrote:well that sucks now i'm kinda sad making a big mod and the site we all know and love is gone......i will try to see if i can create a free site to put mods on from now on if i am successful i will need help spreading the word
Well the MD database list is here: http://halomd.macgamingmods.com/mods/ -- not quite pretty, but accessible online.

Demo mods are only relevant if they are being ported over.

Remember, a successful mod is a mod that is played by people. People are only going to play your mod if it's being played in-game. The MD application is where mods can gain popularity easily, not an online website listing.