Old Mac users that can't run MD?

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Old Mac users that can't run MD?

Post by nil » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:56 pm

If you're on an old Mac and cannot run MD, but want to, I am pretty sure I can help you out if you send me a PM. You may not be able to play some scripted mods though if you're on a PPC (eg: yoyorast 2).
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Sparky
Delta Force

Re: Old Mac users that can't run MD?

Post by Sparky » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:57 am

HaloMD is a wrapper for Halo UB, but is HaloMD for intel macs only instead of a UB? And if so, why intel only? Is the Halo UB playable on PPC? (Bear with me, it's been several years since I discussed MacSoft's Halo UB.)
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:19 am

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:18 pm

Sparky wrote:HaloMD is a wrapper for Halo UB, but is HaloMD for intel macs only instead of a UB? And if so, why intel only? Is the Halo UB playable on PPC? (Bear with me, it's been several years since I discussed MacSoft's Halo UB.)
HaloMD lobby app is "intel" only. There are specific enhancements put in that are x86-dependent though, and there is also moving GameData folder to another location which the wrapper takes care of (also x86 specific). It should be playable on PPC if it's packaged "right", but you won't have the wrapper, and you'll have to go through some small hoops.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:25 am

Weird, HaloMD is not working on my Mac.
Isn't the required version is 10.2.8 and up?

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:04 am

rEsTnPeAcEz wrote:Weird, HaloMD is not working on my Mac.
Isn't the required version is 10.2.8 and up?
It's not weird at all. It wasn't working before, and it isn't working now even though nothing changed. Go figure.

I'll send you a PM, but let's not be an utter noob and jumping to conclusions to reinstall the OS or anything else stupid.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:45 am

I enjoy playing Halo Demo PPC with RIPz every so often.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

zªCh

Post by zªCh » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:11 pm

i'm just waiting for the G**D*** download....the only thing my laptop needs is to be intel....it has leopard...

all i know is i don't want to lose you guys :cry:
-zªCh-
I remember thinking that halo would be the one thing that would never update past my mac.....then came HaloMD
now i have 3 versions of combat evolved on my mac...weird stuff.. now if only they made a ppc mac version of custom edition

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:24 pm

zªCh wrote:i'm just waiting for the G**D*** download....the only thing my laptop needs is to be intel....it has leopard...

all i know is i don't want to lose you guys :cry:
If you're on a PowerPC Mac (which it looks like you are), send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

ewleonardspock

Post by ewleonardspock » Sat May 28, 2016 10:41 am

Hi, I'm new here. I was wondering if there's been any progress in getting the modded maps to work on old PPC Macs.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sat May 28, 2016 11:17 am

ewleonardspock wrote:Hi, I'm new here. I was wondering if there's been any progress in getting the modded maps to work on old PPC Macs.

Hey, do you own the Mac version of Halo already? We have a mod download listing here: https://halomd.net/mods and our lobby here: https://halomd.net/lobby

Mods can be placed in the games Maps folder. Games can be joined by Direct IP. Some mods may not be PPC compatible but the majority should be.. Hosting modded games is trickier than joining them.

ewleonardspock

Post by ewleonardspock » Sat May 28, 2016 11:57 am

Thanks! I've managed to get some to work that way. Do you know if there's anything I can do to make the ones that are crashing work? One of the modified blood gulch maps is working perfectly, but the Halo Star Wars map is causing the game to crash on all of the PPC Macs.

Thanks again :)

EDIT:

After doing some tests, it seems that some of the maps are just too large. The largest map I've gotten to work is Snow Gulch which is 104.3 MB.
Do you perhaps know of a way to make them any smaller? Or any other ideas?

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sat May 28, 2016 2:46 pm

ewleonardspock wrote:Thanks! I've managed to get some to work that way. Do you know if there's anything I can do to make the ones that are crashing work? One of the modified blood gulch maps is working perfectly, but the Halo Star Wars map is causing the game to crash on all of the PPC Macs.

EDIT:

After doing some tests, it seems that some of the maps are just too large. The largest map I've gotten to work is Snow Gulch which is 104.3 MB.
Do you perhaps know of a way to make them any smaller? Or any other ideas?
Yeah.. I'm not sure who here still remembers much about PPC compatibility :). Mods that make use of custom edition scripts may not run on PPC for no apparent reason as to why, or mods that are too bloated may have trouble running on PPC because they're just much slower machines.. I remember being able to play mods on my dual-core powermac G5 with plenty of RAM that would just crash for other players.. Maps that import a bunch of content from Custom Edition tend to have a strong correlation to being bloated though.

I bet Crossing and Barrier (these come bundled with MD) or any demo mod that existed prior to MD (eg: snow gulch) work fine for you, but yeah, unfortunately some of the popular mods may not work.

[edit]: there is a tool for making maps smaller in size but it won't run on an old PPC Mac.

ewleonardspock

Post by ewleonardspock » Mon May 30, 2016 9:41 am

Thanks! Any idea how to use the map imploder? I must be doing something wrong. I give it the map file, click "Deinternalize" and it makes a sound but doesn't seem to do anything else. The maps don't seem to be getting any smaller; unless it's putting the new maps somewhere else?

Ranger

Post by 002 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:45 pm

ewleonardspock wrote:Thanks! Any idea how to use the map imploder? I must be doing something wrong. I give it the map file, click "Deinternalize" and it makes a sound but doesn't seem to do anything else. The maps don't seem to be getting any smaller; unless it's putting the new maps somewhere else?

Did you input a maps folder? If not, you need to do so, or it'll beep, indicating an error. Alternatively, you can just uncheck the Deinternalize Stock Resources option. You can use either the full version of Halo's maps folder or HaloMD's maps folder, as all that really matters is if bitmaps.map and sounds.map are present. What this does is it deinternalizes assets that are present in either bitmaps.map or sounds.map.

Sorry I didn't give very good instructions for non-modders. I'm working on a newer, better version of this tool, actually.

Edit: Done. I also changed the name of the application to "Sea Mine" as that's what the entire project is called.