[MT] Mod Testers

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Sparky
Delta Force

Re: [MT] Mod Testers

Post by Sparky » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:48 pm

Modzy wrote:If you didn't want people posting and protesting your "notes," then you should have either kept them to yourself, sent them to MT members via PM, or requested a subforum. At this point I am unable to take anything that comes out of this group seriously.
Wait, Modzy.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Tucker933
Peon

Post by Tucker933 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:08 pm

I don't see how a review could take so long. You posted about it in detail, it could safely be assumed you were completed. All you said it was waiting on was the video, which wasn't to include feedback as you described it but rather a demo of the gameplay.
There's no reason for notes to be made on a public forum if you haven't completed the review unless you expect to base public discussion on it.

Samuco
Peon

Post by Samuco » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:19 pm

What is the point of reviewing mods?

If your going to nitpick over a mod then I believe the author should be allowed to defend it. It would be more appropriate to put a review button next to servers in HaloMD so that anybody can comment rather than just a few people (with mechanisms in place to prevent random trolls). ----)

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:46 pm

Samuco wrote:What is the point of reviewing mods?

If your going to nitpick over a mod then I believe the author should be allowed to defend it. It would be more appropriate to put a review button next to servers in HaloMD so that anybody can comment rather than just a few people (with mechanisms in place to prevent random trolls). ----)
HHAHAHHAHAH LOL \ :) /

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:13 am

Tucker933 wrote:I don't see how a review could take so long. You posted about it in detail, it could safely be assumed you were completed. All you said it was waiting on was the video, which wasn't to include feedback as you described it but rather a demo of the gameplay.
There's no reason for notes to be made on a public forum if you haven't completed the review unless you expect to base public discussion on it.
Did you not read what I wrote? Go back and re-read this forum topic starting from post #1.
Samuco wrote:What is the point of reviewing mods?

Samuco, this is a team of experienced modders and those who said they would be interested in participating. This is not a blog comment box.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Tucker933
Peon

Post by Tucker933 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:43 am

Sparky wrote:
Tucker933 wrote:I don't see how a review could take so long. You posted about it in detail, it could safely be assumed you were completed. All you said it was waiting on was the video, which wasn't to include feedback as you described it but rather a demo of the gameplay.
Did you not read what I wrote? Go back and re-read this forum topic starting from post #1.
The general point stands.

Samuco
Peon

Post by Samuco » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:55 pm

Sparky wrote:Samuco, this is a team of experienced modders and those who said they would be interested in participating. This is not a blog comment box.
It sure looks like a blog to me.
"a personal website or web page on which an individual records opinions, links to other sites, etc. on a regular basis."

Can we move this to a private MT forum ?

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:17 am

For the past two pages, I have felt the need to simply quote my previous replies. As long as folks abide by the rules, Samuco, we're just fine.
Sparky wrote:The [MT] subforum was private so that we could discuss mods without having the author argue or comment at the same time. Therefore, I'm going to establish a rule here for this topic: until the official Mod Testers review is published for a mod, including a Masterchief Helmets Rating (MHR), this is merely a point of discussion among [MT] members, and no mod authors should comment during that time when their mod is being discussed. If the Mod Testers team has any questions for the mod author, or wants comments, they will ask the mod author in a private message.

Now that I have established this rule, I will continue working with the present mod review.
Sparky wrote:I am still waiting for the rest of the Mod Testers team members to post their notes on this mod.
Sparky wrote:Again, I'm waiting on notes, comments and suggestions from our team members. Folks, please play the mod and take notes, then post your notes here and we'll put something together. The mod review process should not take longer than one week for each mod. I'm the only one who presented notes so far, and 2310 volleyed some comments off those notes. Go play and report back.

Ranger
Location: Forerunner Cartography Installation 330, making new maps!

Post by 2310 » Wed May 01, 2013 12:22 am

Phoenix 2 Notes: (v1.3, updated today)

Pros:
Primary fight areas are the top area and base. The update increases this, due to more obvious carbine placement and placing bullet warthogs on the main base platform (instead of below with the APT). This feels advantageous when the server has few players, keeping the play area small to avoid turning the game into hide and seek. :P Larger games would usually result in players taking the top area vehicles and resulting in other players using the lower area vehicles. Vehicles do not easily overpower infantry, thanks to easy access to vehicles, reduced splatter damage, and vehicle weapon overheat (excluding tank, balanced by speed, and bomber, balanced by limited use)

Cons:
The red base laser hog has a slight but noticeable disadvantage in needing to avoid driving off the cliff as well as being further from the rocket spawn; this may be an advantage in some situations, but generally results in easier access to heavy weapons for the blue team. Rockets feel slightly underpowered due to the lack of flat surfaces to use splash damage with, and homing usually misses. Even in larger games, the central area is usually ignored and underused. Banshee battles, while helped by the overheat function, are still somewhat frustrating.

Summary: Best suited for larger, longer battles and stealth for CTF.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Wed May 01, 2013 1:59 am

Thank you, 2310. I forgot to mention the reduced vehicle collision damage which you mentioned.

I think vehicles seem so significant in this mod maybe simply because the right-hand-side tunnel from the red base to the top of the mountain is blocked off so that players cannot so quickly reach the blue base from the red base. Maybe it would be nice to put a covenant turret there so that the blue team can defend the tunnel instead of simply preventing access. I'd say allow players to navigate around the pelican and add some rocks inside the tunnel (on every side: floor, ceiling, walls) to have it be difficult but possible to go through there, and to give a defensive incentive to the blue team. It would be nice to experiment with this and see if it becomes too much of a focal point, or rather adds to the gameplay, at least for large-team CTF games. This is speculation about how the mod would change were this area changed. Also, I think it would be cool to take the teleporter exits from the front of the bases and place them inside the central canyon walls, so that instead of getting access to the bases from the tops of the maps, you would get access to a more strategic area of the map: the middle. Maybe place the heavy weapons there in the middle also, to sort of offset the vehicles located on top of the map. The counter to vehicles is heavy weapons, as seen in my Imbalance mod, where one bloodgulch base has all the vehicles and the other has all the heavy weapons. Those changes would diversify the dynamics and tactics a little. Another change could be to increase the range of the radar so that each team knows exactly where the enemy team is (when they show up on the radar from moving), which again could be complemented with the radar sensitivity set higher than the movement speed while crouching so that moving while crouching does not register on the radar. There are areas of modding that are untouched here, and it seems the focus of Phoenix 2 is primarily weapons and vehicles. The mod author does recently seem to be doing more updates in consideration of the layout.

RIPz, do you have any notes about the mod? Is there anything you would like to mention that we did not mention yet?

I think the video will begin with some fly-through footage comparing Death Island and Phoenix 2, and then coincide with the review points we decide to include.

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Wed May 01, 2013 3:04 am

Imma play this mod again so I can have a clear idea of what it is.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Thu May 02, 2013 11:06 am

rEsTnPeAcEz wrote:Imma play this mod again so I can have a clear idea of what it is.
You should also compare it to Death Island, if you have Halo Full.

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Thu May 02, 2013 1:24 pm

I don't have Halo Full, and why compare to Death Island. Does the maker of the mod want it to be a better version of Death Island?

Ranger
Location: Forerunner Cartography Installation 330, making new maps!

Post by 2310 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:43 pm

rEsTnPeAcEz wrote:I don't have Halo Full, and why compare to Death Island. Does the maker of the mod want it to be a better version of Death Island?
The base BSP is Death Island, and the terrain changes are all scen additions/removals. Comparing it may help you see if the additions/removals are beneficial.

Also, I was thinking that the Bomber may be better with Pelican/Dropship controls instead of Banshee controls. This may be confusing initially, but would allow for maintaining altitude while looking down.