HDM Wiki Shutting Down July 5, 2013

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Sparky
Delta Force

HDM Wiki Shutting Down July 5, 2013

Post by Sparky » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:54 am

I'm shutting down the HaloDemoMods.com wiki on July 5, 2013. Say your farewells. It's been an eventful 5 years.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Re: HDM Wiki Shutting Down July 5, 2013

Post by nil » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:53 pm

It has been a good run. Thanks for keeping it up as long as you have.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:12 pm

Thank you, nil.
It looks like you registered at MGM three months before the HDM wiki started.
The Halo modding community definitely grew as a result of HDM.

I'm doing something different for BDCN, and I would recommend jumping on board with the BDCN plans rather than using MediaWiki for our purposes.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Darth Vader

Post by Darth Vader » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:34 pm

Woah, shutting down? You know the halo demo community still exists right? Halo demo still needs HDM. If you shut it down, you are effectively killing off the demo community. There are not many modders in demo anymore. So they cannot rely on themselves to keep the demo community alive.
"And for a split second, the rabbit wondered what the anti-personnel mine was doing in the carrot patch" - Works of David Shrigley

Modzy
Green Beret

Post by Modzy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:41 pm

The demo community has a been dead for years now. MD/Full/CE are still alive.

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:50 pm

It's not dead, if people are still on it. Halo 2 on Windows for example is truly dead, because they took off the master server and no one is on it anymore. Surprisingly Halo Demo's master server is not shut down, and I think Gamespy didn't shut it down, because people are still playing it and having lots of fun, including me. HaloMD is not that great, but it's growing. Halo Full and CE are the biggest ones.
Sparky wrote:Thank you, nil.
It looks like you registered at MGM three months before the HDM wiki started.
The Halo modding community definitely grew as a result of HDM.

I'm doing something different for BDCN, and I would recommend jumping on board with the BDCN plans rather than using MediaWiki for our purposes.
Did I get that wrong? Is HaloDemoMods.com going to shut down for good or is it going to BDCN (not as a MediaWiki website)?

Also, it is embarrassing to see that most dedi servers for MD are empty, because I tried to get a friend of mine at my school to play HaloMD, but he doesn't want to, because there are not enough players to play with him, he said.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:41 pm

It has been dead for years now because there's no future of growth in it. It's only continued heading to the path where eventually it'll be taken down, like Trial on PC, and Halo 2 on Windows. There's no reason for Sparky to keep HDM running for the "demo" community which doesn't exist as much as you two would like to think it does.

Although I haven't played in a while, I think the player base is more active and more interesting than you may think. But you're still on a PPC, in the extreme minority, so you're probably missing in on over half the fun (e.g, need to use a web lobby, can't access MD chat, can't play some mods -- whatever else).

But seriously, the only solution to "there's not enough players" is "play the game."
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:50 pm

nil wrote:It has been dead for years now because there's no future of growth in it. It's only continued heading to the path where eventually it'll be taken down, like Trial on PC, and Halo 2 on Windows. There's no reason for Sparky to keep HDM running for the "demo" community which doesn't exist as much as you two would like to think it does.

Although I haven't played in a while, I think the player base is more active and more interesting than you may think. But you're still on a PPC, in the extreme minority, so you're probably missing in on over half the fun (e.g, need to use a web lobby, can't access MD chat, can't play some mods -- whatever else).

But seriously, the only solution to "there's not enough players" is "play the game."
That's true.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:42 am

Should we make another wiki for MD?
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Darth Vader

Post by Darth Vader » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:52 am

Maybe add a branch in HDM's mod list for MD. And then using that same branch, advertise MD to the demo players? So they know about it? Some people in demo have no idea that MD exists. And halo demo's community is NOT dead. At least in the asian side of the globe(unsure about the western side). Reason why you don't see many people is because for one, there are no dedicated servers. Two, not many hosts, the player to host ratio is almost about whole eastern side of players to 1 or 2 hosts. However, when there is a game available, it is always full within the hour.

This observation is based on servers at "reasonably earthly hours" at +8GMT time zone.

Maybe since MD's dedicated servers are "embarrassingly" empty, we can transfer one dedicated server to Demo and see what happens? You could also add MD adverts there too. That way, the player population in MD will increase. Some of them may return to demo and try to get people to join MD.
"And for a split second, the rabbit wondered what the anti-personnel mine was doing in the carrot patch" - Works of David Shrigley

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:23 am

I already advertised in demo lobby. Up to a certain point, there will be people you will not be able to migrate no matter what you try to do. Let demo go. Also, "dead" is "no longer playable on current machines."

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:41 am

Since I still have Halo Demo, if you want I can advertise HaloMD more. I am kinda "popular" in Halo Demo so maybe people will be convinced and at least think about going to MD.
TaxiService wrote:Should we make another wiki for MD?
Maybe we should. HaloDemoMods.com really grew the halo demo community, maybe a wiki for MD will grow it to.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:23 pm

Dear Halo Community Friends,

I am shutting down HaloDemoMods.com now and putting all the substantial information on a different web site, BlamDevCom.net. The MediaWiki software was not suitable for the way we were using it, and was too much of a burden on the server. The information will be translated from the HDM wiki onto the BDCN site in a way more useful to our purposes.

This means that HDemoLauncher will no longer be able to access mods from the HDM Mod Database page through the "Download" menu and that the HDM Mod Database page will have its Halo Demo mods presented differently. The domain "halodemomods.com" will no longer bring you to a MediaWiki software web site, but will redirect to the Halo Demo area of the blamdevcom.net web site.

BlamDevCom.net has been an extensive project to integrate and unify all the Halo development communities, including everyone who has contributed to the content of the game. So far, the web site has held nothing in it except the details of its plan, which I have shared with a few Halo community leaders including Dennis from HaloMaps.org, Monoman from MacGamingMods.com, the wiki folks at HaloNation and others. When I discussed the plans for the BDCN, I was always met with doubts about what I had planned; despite my assuring and logical explanations, these community leaders did not decide to participate or involve themselves with my vision. Therefore, I had to keep the vision by reflecting upon my own experiences of how the Halo communities grew and pursue the development of complementary projects like Zeus, realizing that the community members were the ones who determined whether things were useful to them, and those same members would support my labors and vision after they had been developed.

So I am working on three major projects now: the Blam! Developer Communities Network (BDCN), Zeus, and the INCY Online. The BDCN is a web site to bring together ALL the Halo communities so that we might work with each other. The BDCN will be a business. Zeus is an application built for OS X 10.6 that is intended to be a singular tool to replace the Halo Editing Kit developed by Gearbox Software. The Incyclopedia Online (INCY Online) is essentially a Halo map/mod/project and asset database integrated into the BDCN web site and Zeus.

This Spring, I started developing Zeus in earnest. Now is the time to do something with BDCN's web site. The INCY Online will be the main feature of files as the HDM Mod Database was to the HaloDemoMods.com wiki.

Thank you, and I look forward to working with you in the future at the Blam! Developer Communities Network.

Sparky

Darth Vader

Post by Darth Vader » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:11 am

Ok, i see now.........

Dead Site
Veteran

Post by Dead Site » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:17 am

yeah, a lot of sites link to HDM for HaloMD

I don't see how HaloMD is alive though. It has a website, a couple sites about it and a few cheap youtube videos on it. The game itself is dead as Halo 2
[url=steam://friends/add/76561198023999718]Image[/url]