Name hack for halo on MD(Manually)

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

gravity

Name hack for halo on MD(Manually)

Post by gravity » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:57 pm

Before we start, yes there are shortcuts that are a lot faster than the way im going to show you. This is for people like myself that dont know much about anything hahah.

On halo for the PC there is a tool called namehack which easily allows you to change your name in game to whatever you desire.
Example: 1/4, %, ^, or even the invisible name.

Although you can do this on your pc, there is no real program, that I know of, that allows you to do this. I will show you how to do this manually.
NOTE: this way does every single step, not all steps are needed but are recommended, in order to ensure that your name comes out the way you want it to.

STEPS: Follow these steps in order, yes there are faster shortcuts to do this but this way works 100% of the time.
1) Open halo Md and go to your profiles.
2) Depending on how many profiles you have, delete all your profiles besides your main profile and then create 1 more profile named "New002" (without the "" obviously.) giving you a total of 2 profiles, 1 that is your name that you usually use when you play and 1 named New002.
3) Close MD and go to your finder>Documents>HLMD>i386>saved>player_profiles>default_profile> and open both 00.sav and 01.sav
4) at the very left of the very first ^ type in your desired name.
Ex: ¿Gra^ity
5) Enter your desired name in both the 00.sav and 01.sav in front of the very first ^ and save both of them.
6) go back to your i386 file and open lastprof.txt.noindex with text edit:
It should look like this with your username infront of documents: Documents\HLMD\i386\savegames\New002\
7) After savegames\ swap out new002 with your desired name
It should look like this now: Documents\HLMD\i386\savegames\øGra^ity\
8) after doing this hit save.
9) now in the same folder (i386) go to savegames>New002 and there should be a blam.sav, checkpoints, New002, and savegame.bin. Rename, without opening, the new002 file to your desired name, in my case i changed it to ¿Gra^ity. and then click save
10) Now open up your blam.sav file and at the very top line, infront of the first ^ change the name to your desired name.
11) now go back to your savegames folder and rename the folder new002 to your desired name. ( NOTE: ALL THE NAMES FROM THE FOLDER TO THE BLAM.SAV TO THE ACTUAL .TXT NAME FILE MUST BE EXACTLY THE SAME)
12) after this, now its time to open your halo MD.
13) click on profiles and the profile should be there, when you try to select that profile it will not work, instead here is the way to solve it.
14) your profile that your on now. the 1 that isnt your desired name click delete and delete the profile.
15) now when you try to click on the profile with the desired name it will not work still instead it will only allow you to click create new profile, okay or back. Select back and boom you have changed your name to your desired name CONGRATS.
16) The final step is just now readjusting your settings and resolutions to whatever you want it to be.
17) just for safe measures create a new profile named new001 but dont touch it at all and you will see that you will be able to successful alternate between profiles now instead of earlier when it wouldn't allow you to select the profile with your desired name.

HOPE that this helps
¿teamunknown
Last edited by gravity on Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Re: Name hack for halo on MD(Manual)

Post by nil » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:52 pm

Actually you are missing a critical step. The blam.sav file has a checksum in it that tries to prevent outsiders from modifying the file. If an outsider modifies the file without adjusting the checksum accordingly, the file is somewhat in a corrupted state, and this may show and cause problems later on.

HaloMD actually comes with a script that can fix the checksum of a blam.sav user profile file after modifying the file manually. Open a terminal and execute the following:
python <path to HaloMD.app>/Contents/MacOS/crc32forge.py <path to blam.sav file>

Lastly, there is another easier way ;). Trash or rename the HLMD folder in your user Documents folder, then restart the HaloMD app, and it will prompt you to pick a username like it did the first time you installed HaloMD. "øGra^ity" will work in there. There are some names you may not be able to enter through this method but that's only because I explicitly put the limitations in there (for good reason). This will strip whitespace, restrict within 1 - 11 characters range, and disallow periods (.), backwards (\) and forward slashes (/), and colons (:). Further, the name must conform to a Latin 1 ISO string encoding.

Otherwise this is some interesting info.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

gravity

Post by gravity » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:32 pm

Thank you, i tried this with a few guys. The steps that I used worked 100% everytime with almost every character that we have tried so far.

Thank you though

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:02 pm

I need help. Another user keeps hacking into halo and stealing my username. Idk how, idk hacks or anything and idk how he got my name so now whenever I sign in as my proper username, it'll be something different because the other person signed in with my name. It's annoying and idk how to put a hack so he stops stealing my name and stops using it and what not. Please help me figure this out cause I don't know what to do.

Ranger

Re: Name hack for halo on MD(Manually)

Post by 002 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:08 pm

Usernames aren't reserved, so anyone can be called anyone at any time.

Newnuevo002

Post by Newnuevo002 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:00 pm

002 wrote:Usernames aren't reserved, so anyone can be called anyone at any time.
Wait whatttttt? How come when I try to make a new username, and someone else already has it, it won't let me make it because the name is already being used? So how is this guy getting my name if it's already being used by me?

Ranger

Post by 002 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:18 pm

If you join a server and someone is currently using your name on that server, then the server gives you a random generic name.