The Eternal Halo servers

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

HandofGod
Peon
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:55 pm

The Eternal Halo servers

Post by HandofGod » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:00 pm

I'm honestly curious about these two servers. Why do they show up on Halo MD and what is the purpose of them when there are already servers that host Bloodgulch? Both of the servers -the sniper one especially- have annoying ads asking you to update your Halo constantly (pointless considering we are on Halo MD and these ads are for PC players) and they seem to attract the worst of Halo PC (botters, cheaters, etc). So is there a reason why they are there? Or is it just to make it seem like there's more people playing MD, when in actuality its just Halo PC people? I honestly think these two servers should not appear in the MD lobby anymore as they detract from the MD experience and deflect attention away from modders on Halo MD like me and others who might want to have their maps/mods have more attention. I have talked to people in servers and a number of players agree with me that these two servers are not that great. Therefore I think Monoman, nil or whoever is in charge of the server list (I have no idea anymore) should consider taking them down from MD's lobby. I say bring back Foxhole (which is locked) or a server with lead to compensate. This would be for the good of Halo MD. Anyone else have any thoughts on this matter?

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:38 am
Location: null zone

Re: The Eternal Halo servers

Post by nil » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:04 pm

Modfox will take care of foxhole; I messaged him about it.

For some of the reasons you listed, I was weary about allowing the servers in the first place; they are wizard's. Now, he's shutting down his hosting services at the end of this month (which several of the servers use currently), so they may be gone soon anyway. We should consider removing them now though, I believe.

It was his test to see how well a server with a mix of players from both sides would fair out. And some people did like it; I guess some ended up disliking it too. It also helped Wizard's servers actually being used (he always said that his servers that were on MD were his most played ones), and that helped since it meant he kept interest in his service, which means we could still use his service. But now his service is going away..
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

HandofGod
Peon
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:55 pm

Re: The Eternal Halo servers

Post by HandofGod » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:57 am

Ok well thanks for the response nil. I suspect that while some MD people might like those servers, they would be fine if they disappeared as there is the show favorites option for servers on MD. Sorry to hear that his service is going away but that is the reality of this game being so old right?

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:38 am
Location: null zone

Re: The Eternal Halo servers

Post by nil » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:28 pm

HandofGod wrote:Ok well thanks for the response nil. I suspect that while some MD people might like those servers, they would be fine if they disappeared as there is the show favorites option for servers on MD. Sorry to hear that his service is going away but that is the reality of this game being so old right?
Nah, not really adequate enough. I think actually, will just leave them up and see what happens at the end of the month. There are MD players that really want to just play regular games most of the time. From their perspective, having most people sit in a big ass server and not having a popular BG isn't that appealing either. Whist the PC version brings more cheaters, it also brings more players that are more challenging. Having went in-game for a few minutes, I easily found people that wanted it to stay (and some people I haven't talked to in ages). Having players in those servers doesn't necessarily mean those players would be in the games you'd want if those servers weren't around.

But anyway, I think the servers will go poof at the end of the month and we'll see what happens then. By then, I would personally like to remove them.

[edit]: I'm really bouncy about deciding what to do here.
Last edited by nil on Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Pyrhex.

Re: The Eternal Halo servers

Post by Pyrhex. » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:41 pm

Thanks nil! Having those Eternal servers on has really made modding tedious and seem like a waste of time. Hopefully MD returns to normal.

User avatar
Ponzu
Operative
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:26 am
Location: where noobs can't come

Re: The Eternal Halo servers

Post by Ponzu » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:31 am

You know, I really don't mind uploading a video of my hand and my screen shown together to prove you that "bothers" "cheaters" don't exist?
It get's really annoying when those kids call us hacker when we're purely playing on our own skills and experiences. This is why a bunch of old players on mac was very pissed at samuco when he made his HUD that tracks and shows the HP of the players behind the hill. It was rather unfair for him to attempt reaching our zones with help of such tool claiming that it makes the game more fairer.
Image
Hi

User avatar
Ponzu
Operative
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:26 am
Location: where noobs can't come

Re: The Eternal Halo servers

Post by Ponzu » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:00 pm

Great.
Here is two vids of two different players with different aiming styles too.
One is snapping with fast mouse setting and the other is more stable aiming.




User avatar
Ponzu
Operative
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:26 am
Location: where noobs can't come

Re: The Eternal Halo servers

Post by Ponzu » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:35 am

Here you go,
Another video showing you how we aim.

Image
Hi

HandofGod
Peon
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:55 pm

Re: The Eternal Halo servers

Post by HandofGod » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:31 am

Ponzu wrote:You know, I really don't mind uploading a video of my hand and my screen shown together to prove you that "bothers" "cheaters" don't exist?
It get's really annoying when those kids call us hacker when we're purely playing on our own skills and experiences. This is why a bunch of old players on mac was very pissed at samuco when he made his HUD that tracks and shows the HP of the players behind the hill. It was rather unfair for him to attempt reaching our zones with help of such tool claiming that it makes the game more fairer.
Okay... Well I get called a botter/cheater too sometimes but I'm not. Also as I'm on a Mac, it would be pointless and take too much time to create a aimbot. The point I was trying to make is that because the Eternal Halo servers are also connected to the Halo PC community, this allows more people from the PC community who have bots to utilize them and ruin the game flow. People on PC are much more likely to have these advantages. I also don't like the snipers gametype (just my opinion) as it doesn't require much skill as the default CTF of a server like Foxhole. I see that Eternal Halo server #4 is back online, which is annoying but hopefully it goes away at the end of this month. And BTW Samuco's HUD is only on the Bigass server and not on any bloodgulch server so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Note: I'm also probably going to stop modding anyways as there is no point anymore as hardly anyone plays mods on MD besides Bigass.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:38 am
Location: null zone

Re: The Eternal Halo servers

Post by nil » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:05 pm

I spoke to wizard and basically, as somewhat of a compromise, his KOTH server is not going to be on the list, but his sniper one will stay. He was deciding on taking down the KOTH server anyway, and he may actually still be able to provide us folk servers after November, so this works out. He also removed the spamming text and enabled the anti-aimbot detection just recently.

People play on big ass because they like the mod. We can't *just* appeal to modders.. Pyrhex seemed to be happy with the server balance though after one of the servers was removed.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

HandofGod
Peon
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:55 pm

Re: The Eternal Halo servers

Post by HandofGod » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:27 pm

nil wrote:People play on big ass because they like the mod. We can't *just* appeal to modders.. Pyrhex seemed to be happy with the server balance though after one of the servers was removed.
Yeah I'm not contesting that. But there seems to be less people interested in playing mods, which is why I'm going to go on hiatus/semi-retirement from mod editing until things change. I just don't care as much as I used to. If people continue to not play mods, then that's cool too, I'll just move onto playing other games and doing more real life stuff...

User avatar
Ponzu
Operative
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:26 am
Location: where noobs can't come

Re: The Eternal Halo servers

Post by Ponzu » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:33 pm

HandofGod wrote:Okay... Well I get called a botter/cheater too sometimes but I'm not. Also as I'm on a Mac, it would be pointless and take too much time to create a aimbot. The point I was trying to make is that because the Eternal Halo servers are also connected to the Halo PC community, this allows more people from the PC community who have bots to utilize them and ruin the game flow. People on PC are much more likely to have these advantages. I also don't like the snipers gametype (just my opinion) as it doesn't require much skill as the default CTF of a server like Foxhole. I see that Eternal Halo server #4 is back online, which is annoying but hopefully it goes away at the end of this month. And BTW Samuco's HUD is only on the Bigass server and not on any bloodgulch server so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Note: I'm also probably going to stop modding anyways as there is no point anymore as hardly anyone plays mods on MD besides Bigass.
No. I have been playing quite often in that server in daily basis and I have not yet seen a botter that you believe it exists. When there is are very good players, they are always well known players from some well known clans. I also don't think snipers game type is easier due to the reason that the server is a no lead 0 server. In fact I believe foxhole is easier to play because not everyone would get a sniper. If I manage to have the sniper, I am pretty much overwhelming the rest.

Samuco's HUD used to be a big deal because it could be used in any server previously. The only reason it is in BIgass only right now is because considerable amount of people has bursted against him.
Image
Hi

HandofGod
Peon
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:55 pm

Re: The Eternal Halo servers

Post by HandofGod » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:46 pm

Ponzu wrote:No. I have been playing quite often in that server in daily basis and I have not yet seen a botter that you believe it exists. When there is are very good players, they are always well known players from some well known clans. I also don't think snipers game type is easier due to the reason that the server is a no lead 0 server. In fact I believe foxhole is easier to play because not everyone would get a sniper. If I manage to have the sniper, I am pretty much overwhelming the rest.

Samuco's HUD used to be a big deal because it could be used in any server previously. The only reason it is in BIgass only right now is because considerable amount of people has bursted against him.
Well I honestly disagree with you. There's even a video on here which 002 posted which kinda points to a person botting, check it out. And I enjoyed the King of the hill server, it's a shame that was removed rather than the snipers server. But honestly, whatever at this point, I'm kinda sick of the server choices we have on MD, which I think are rather poor and don't really support the mods that people on Mac have contributed to the community. But at least its something right? Still I wish I had a PC partition with Custom Edition.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:38 am
Location: null zone

Re: The Eternal Halo servers

Post by nil » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:33 pm

If you look at another recent thread on here, you'll see a video of 002 catching somebody cheat in there. But like I said before, wizard didn't have the aim bot detection on, and it's enabled now, so you should let go of that past and see if it's better now.

The HUD bit with Samuco as Ponzu states is pretty true. Honestly, it should probably be even removed from bigass since it drops frames very noticeably.

Recently, I've seen like one original worthy mod, but it's a pity that it doesn't work with the dedicated software and the modder hadn't yet put the time to look into it. Otherwise if you look at mods (like bg+), they seem to be have some activity even now, and were doing fine before. Also, I'd love if people could host their own regular games too; those seem to do very well with activity.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

User avatar
TaxiService
Night Stalker
Posts: 6887
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 5:52 am
Location: 41.896198, 12.4165945
Contact:

Re: The Eternal Halo servers

Post by TaxiService » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:29 am

Lol. I like this video a lot. You used screenflow to make it, didn't you?
And yeah, i have a good idea of how much of a bother it is to be called a botter/hacker only because you're good. : \ people is just too stupid to realise that.
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest