Decreasing/incrasing shininess in weapons

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

100% Juice

Decreasing/incrasing shininess in weapons

Post by 100% Juice » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:50 pm

Does anybody know how this is done?

What I mean is the shininess of the weapon model that is independent of the bitmap. I've looked around a bit in the shaders and stuff like that with Eschaton but I couldn't find anything that seemed like it might be it.

For example, the way the pistol in blood gulch is shinier than the assault rifle. I'm making a few weapons and I'd like to be able to tweak this if it's possible.

Thanks! Sorry if this is super obvious D:

100% Juice

zapconquest
Ranger

Re: Decreasing/incrasing shininess in weapons

Post by zapconquest » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:49 pm

What you're looking for are the multipurpose bitmaps. Here's a pretty helpful tutorial on bitmaps. Unfortunately the pictures are no longer available but it still might be useful. Here's what it says about multipurpose bitmaps:
Multipurpose Skins
How many skins do we see that look so awesome but lack a multipurpose. Your multi is like your alpha in a sense because it controls the level of detail, gloss and overall presence the skin is going to be shown in the game. The multipurpose is mostly edited on the bases of three main colors. Blue, Red, Green. Here's a Simple breakdown of what those colors do.

Red:
Detail. This controls how much detail will be shown in these areas colored in red.

Green:
Light map/Glow. This controls how much a color will show up as bright or vibrant on your texture. Example, you wanted something on the master chief to look like a LED light? Then edit the multi on the correct spot to make it glow. Ill show you in screens for this below.

Blue:
Cube map play aka. Shiny! This will control the reflective surface the maps cube map will play off the texture. You want something super shiny then make the multi all blue. Tacky but it works.

100% Juice

Post by 100% Juice » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:04 am

Thanks so much! I'll try this out...

100% Juice

Post by 100% Juice » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:12 am

Ohhhhh so that's what those wacky purple bitmaps are!