Halo Combat Evolved on Mac

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

A Stick

Halo Combat Evolved on Mac

Post by A Stick » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:39 am

So I recently discovered that Halo disk was once available for Mac. I am a Mac user on OS X El Capitan and I currently use HaloMD to play. My question is should I buy the game cd from amazon and if I do, will it work on my OS X. I want to buy the cd to play the original Halo and I don't want it to crash because of the newer version of the operating system. Thank you.
IGN: a stick
Discord: Stick#9145

3371-Alpha

Re: Halo Combat Evolved on Mac

Post by 3371-Alpha » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:31 am

Hi, I'm also a new user here on these forums, but from digging through threads I think I can answer your question. An unofficial patch for Mavericks & later con be found here. What you should do is install the first download, then on the last page (page 6, I think) of the thread is the lobby patch. Install both of them and you're set.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon 9600 Pro 64MB (GPU overclocked to 438.75MHz, VRAM to 330.75MHz)
Halo 2.0.4 UB (Oberon's lobby patch installed)

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:00 am

A Stick wrote:So I recently discovered that Halo disk was once available for Mac. I am a Mac user on OS X El Capitan and I currently use HaloMD to play. My question is should I buy the game cd from amazon and if I do, will it work on my OS X. I want to buy the cd to play the original Halo and I don't want it to crash because of the newer version of the operating system. Thank you.
I recommend checking the forum thread 3371-Alpha linked, however I still recommend using HaloMD to play because of the bug fixes/enhancements for modern machines that it includes. If you have the campaign set of maps, you can plug them into MD. If you have particular online servers you want to join, you can add them as favorites in MD (under Game -> Show Favorites).

Otherwise if you want a legit serial key for online you should buy a copy of Halo Mac, update it to the latest version (2.0.4), and check the thread Alpha linked. If you're not interested in a legit serial key for online play, then the PC version may be buyable at a much cheaper price, which would include the set of campaign maps that can be transferred over.

Edit: Many dedicated servers may not even care about a legit key, but don't quote me on this.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

A Stick

Post by A Stick » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:05 am

3371-Alpha wrote:Hi, I'm also a new user here on these forums, but from digging through threads I think I can answer your question. An unofficial patch for Mavericks & later con be found here. What you should do is install the first download, then on the last page (page 6, I think) of the thread is the lobby patch. Install both of them and you're set.
I recommend checking the forum thread 3371-Alpha linked, however I still recommend using HaloMD to play because of the bug fixes/enhancements for modern machines that it includes. If you have the campaign set of maps, you can plug them into MD. If you have particular online servers you want to join, you can add them as favorites in MD (under Game -> Show Favorites).

Otherwise if you want a legit serial key for online you should buy a copy of Halo Mac, update it to the latest version (2.0.4), and check the thread Alpha linked. If you're not interested in a legit serial key for online play, then the PC version may be buyable at a much cheaper price, which would include the set of campaign maps that can be transferred over.
Thank you. I successfully installed Halo. Dream come true, I love it. One thing though. I followed the instruction for the lobby multiplayer patch on maverick but I get this error now when I try to launch Halo. You can’t open the application “Halo” because PowerPC applications are no longer supported. Maybe its because I'm on El Capitan?

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:24 am

That doesn't sound right, maybe the correct executable wasn't put in place. The harder installation method is yet another reason I recommend using HaloMD instead.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

A Stick

Post by A Stick » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:40 am

I used HaloMD for a while now but I want to host a dedicated server.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:45 am

A Stick wrote:I used HaloMD for a while now but I want to host a dedicated server.
The retail version won't help at all in that case. I replied to your other topic elaborating on the details.

Fonzeh
Ranger
Location: "I didn't just take your mom out to dinner. I ate your mom for dinner."

Post by Fonzeh » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:08 pm

I couldve sworn that there was a dedi app back back in the day, but it was more than likely PPC
G[v]N wrote:HUGE NOTIFICATION
THIS GRAVY HAS BRAINS
Mota-Lev was here 30/4/2010@2:18pm

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:36 pm

Fonzeh wrote:I couldve sworn that there was a dedi app back back in the day, but it was more than likely PPC
It was probably not for a real dedicated server though, and whatever it was is probably something we can do easily today.