Pre-MD Mod Archive - Update: Link Found

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Sugarlumps
Ranger

Pre-MD Mod Archive - Update: Link Found

Post by Sugarlumps » Mon May 28, 2018 6:49 am

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a halodemomods archive somewhere before it was shut down? For nostalgia's sake...

Thanks!

Edit:
After a bit more searching I found it here http://www.halomd.net/demo/ . The halomd.net page had no links out to mods so I got a little lost, apologies.
I'll just leave this thread here in case someone wants to find an archive, but feel free to delete it too
Click!

liquid light

Re: Pre-MD Mod Archive - Update: Link Found

Post by liquid light » Tue May 29, 2018 10:40 am

Hello,

You were wondering if there is a halodemomods archive somewhere before it was shut down. I have it because it was my web site. Regardless of your reasons for wanting the files, I may put it back online in a read-only state for historical purposes. I had no part in the HaloMD project or its web site or work because I was not consulted or otherwise involved in whatever those people chose to do, even though I offered to help -- when I read that nil and others wanted the files from halodemomods.com, I offered to provide them, but was ignored, so I don't know what they decided to do in their own approach of trying to obtain the files I had. Halomd.net is run by nil and hosted by Monoman who also hosts this forum. It would be these two individuals who could provide a background for the approach of files placed in the link you provided. But if you are looking for the halodemomods.com web site, then understand that part of the reason why I ended it was to bring focus to the HaloMD project (that is to say, newer definitive projects including those I was working on and those I was not working on) and I wanted to consolidate the community rather than further divide it; and Halo Demo maps, although perhaps not Halo Trial, were to become unused. Also, a wiki setup was unsuitable for the encyclopedic approach I desired. (I think Wikipedia is a flawed design and the wiki software is not suited to its popularly intended use.)

Let me know if you want halodemomods.com back, and why. If you use nostalgia as a reason in this situation, understand that nostalgia does not refund money.

Do you know of anyone who plays Halo Demo? Or perhaps you were desiring to convert the maps to Halo PC format. Years ago, I offered to convert the maps from halodemomods.com to Halo PC format, but nil turned down the idea, saying instead that he prefers to have mod authors submit their own maps. But of course, I did help as part of the community with renovating Crossing and Barrier which were designed by others here. So don't disregard community work as completely rejected... as long as someone can say it was their map or mod, they can submit it through that doorway. If you want to submit mods, contact nil or 002 or whoever else is currently running that show.

But even the days of HaloMD are limited. HaloMD uses MacSoft's Halo Universal Binary and has Halo as a 32-bit Carbon application. Apple wants to stop supporting 32-bit processes in its operating systems. On the other hand, I have found no reason to develop software using Apple SDKs newer than the Mac OS (X) 10.6 operating system SDK, so I build apps for Snow Leopard and have no glaring issues, except a lack of newer clang or LLVM or GCC or whatever compiler features like @0 instead of [NSNumber numberWithInt:0] and using C array syntax with Objective-C objects. None of that is necessary. It's all been "make it stupid for them, Steve" beginning with 10.7.

So how long will HaloMD last? Back in the day, I called MacSoft on the phone and they informed me that Microsoft ignored their requests to renew their license of the Halo source code. So Halo UB was the last thing MacSoft could do with the game. It will require "you hackers" like me to design a new and compatible version of the game, on a scale of effort much more than HaloMD was already. HaloMD used / stole / took / re-branded MacSoft's app (remember how MacSoft also ported Halo Trial as Halo Demo). What would be required in order to continue Halo as a 64-bit application to the standards that HaloMD and the community as a whole has set would take remaking the application's source code and building upon it. That's what I intend to do, and more. But I have my own standards, and I have found them superior to the standards of others. Matters take time.

Sugarlumps
Ranger

Post by Sugarlumps » Wed May 30, 2018 3:08 am

Hi Liquid,

Thats alright, I can see where you're coming from when it comes to running a site. I wasn't asking for the site to be relaunched actually, but was looking for the old map files of mods that others had uploaded before - which I managed to find!

I don't think there's much point relaunching the site when the modding community here is pretty much dead anyway.

Thanks!
Click!

liquid light

Post by liquid light » Wed May 30, 2018 3:18 pm

OK I guess if you're satisfied then there is no need for me to make sure that archive actually has all the files from the wiki. It was nice to hear from you.