Skinning?

Moderator: Altimit01

Deox
Operative

Post by Deox » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:35 pm

>Shadow< wrote:
:shock: Holy crap. . . I never knew how bad this was getting...
Yeah. It's bad alright.

>Shadow<
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by >Shadow< » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:44 pm

DEOX! THE SERVER WITH THE PELICAN, WRAITH, AND LOGS IS YOURS!

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:00 pm

sword wrote:Could we maybe have made it, or make another board and move most of it there where to gain access you need to make an ORIGINAL mod and upload it?
I do agree that gaining access to this board is easy and this can be discussed later in another topic.

Now for the other stuff.
sword wrote:Just take the damn thing Disabler posted off, or if Disalber would be so kind as to remove it himself. I'm not telling him to stop teaching others how to mod, but just to restrain himself when it comes to teaching.

Some information is better left unknown.
Deox wrote:It doesn't matter how many posts one makes, regarding instructions on doing some of the hardest-to-figgure-out things in Halo Demo. One of Disabler's posts was not very nice (polite version), the three of them are devastating. Disabler has basicall told everyone how to easily mod, thus bypassing the (normally) long understanding process which most of us have gone through.

None of us were given this knowledge when we started, and I, for one, believe it should stay that way.
All of the information Disabler posted was originally posted on the HaloDev forums where anyone including you guys can read and probably did. I mean if you really wanted it to be hard you shouldn't of been allowed to have any of that information, none of the Full modding apps, plugins files from those to get item locations, or the various other stuff floating around. I doubt any of you would of made any mods if you did because if you could or did, no one ever saw them. No real interest was shown to the demo until I or someone else was hosting one of my mods. I'm not trying to take credit for modding the demo, just pointing out the lack of interest or desire. To me it seemed more like no one thought it could be done, then once they knew it could be, the interest was there.
Deox wrote:How does teaching other people how to mod the easy way help me? How does everyone knowing how to modify Halo Demo map files (very easily) help me at all? All I can see is everyone hosting a room with flyable pelicans and usable Energy Swords, which does NOT help me, or anyone else, at all.
Why should helping someone help you? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of helping?
Deox wrote:I'm sorry to bring this up Monoman, but when your Unlimited Ammo Mod came out, almost every server you saw had that mod running. During this time the level of good gameplay seemed almost to cease existing. You had to host the game to actually play a clean map, but contrary to some people's belifes, many people do not wish to host because they find it more of a challange to actually have to plan your shots, instead of just pointing and shooting to kill as host.
I see your point but if there are so many people who like the more mature games, why would there be any problems finding a host? All of the veteran players can have their own games where they expect a certain level of play. And with that for those that aren't at the level or don't like that type of play they can have their own games. If everyone is hosting with a certain mod and people keep playing in those games they must like it or they wouldn't keep playing it.

For me, I mod to make the game more fun for myself, if someone else likes the mod its a bonus. The mod can be the easiest and very stupid but if I like its a success. An example would be the flaming warthog mod or the flaming grenades. Now both of those aren't the best mods in the world but they are fun the play with. Who cares if no one else likes them but the creators. They serve their purpose to the creators.

One last thing. You can always tell the more advance modders from the beginners. The advance modders are into the harder stuff, trying to come up with something new and cool, while the beginners are getting a kick out of switching guns. You can give the same tools to both sides and the result will be the same. Lets take skinning as an example since this thread was originally about skinning. A beginner and veteran can both skin a warthog but you will always be able to tell what one the veteran did. The beginner will probably use a skin he found online that everyone has seen before, while the veteran will probably want to make his own.
Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter. -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

Deox
Operative

Post by Deox » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:06 am

Monoman wrote:For me, I mod to make the game more fun for myself, if someone else likes the mod its a bonus. The mod can be the easiest and very stupid but if I like its a success. An example would be the flaming warthog mod or the flaming grenades. Now both of those aren't the best mods in the world but they are fun the play with. Who cares if no one else likes them but the creators. They serve their purpose to the creators.

One last thing. You can always tell the more advance modders from the beginners. The advance modders are into the harder stuff, trying to come up with something new and cool, while the beginners are getting a kick out of switching guns. You can give the same tools to both sides and the result will be the same. Lets take skinning as an example since this thread was originally about skinning. A beginner and veteran can both skin a warthog but you will always be able to tell what one the veteran did. The beginner will probably use a skin he found online that everyone has seen before, while the veteran will probably want to make his own.
Wow. That really did it for me. I see what you're saying...and I guess I do agree...Besides raising the standards for this board, I have absolutely no problem with everyone knowing how to easily mod. I guess it will cut down the "OMFG I SAW A FLYABLE PELICAN HOW DO I DO IT!@?!?#!@#*@" topics...but it will certainly up the "OMFG I HAVE A FLYABLE PELICAN GUESS HOW I DID IT!?!#?#?@$%(*#$^" servers on GameRanger and on GameSpy.

Also, I did not see that how to make Demo files compatible, has been posted on HaloDev...which is why I was so pissed off in the first place. I guess Halo Demo isn't completely ruined...it's now just harder to weed out the bad mods from the good mods, since there are very little limits on what people can do now.

I guess the challenge now is to be as original as possible with your work...

^^^
This still doesn't mean that I am going to help n00bs mod ^.^

«Beast»
Ranger

Post by «Beast» » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:39 am

Deox wrote:How does teaching other people how to mod the easy way help me? How does everyone knowing how to modify Halo Demo map files (very easily) help me at all?
No offense and I respect you as an experienced modder but seriously, STFU. How in the hell does it hurt you? You want a clean game, make one. You don't want to make one, join a SpeakEasy. They are almost never modded and there are usually one or two SpeakEasy's going when I play Halo. Let the less experienced enjoy the delights of a modded and customized Halo (I speak for myself here, as well). Remember, IT'S JUST A FUCKING GAME. A bunch o' nerdy 20-30 year olds sat around computers drinking coffee with a girl in a swim suit as their desktop background designing something to get money from. GOLLY GEE, WE'VE NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE IN AMERICA!

Final statement: Can't we all just get along? :D

Deox
Operative

Post by Deox » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:50 am

Beast wrote:
Deox wrote:How does teaching other people how to mod the easy way help me? How does everyone knowing how to modify Halo Demo map files (very easily) help me at all?
No offense and I respect you as an experienced modder but seriously, STFU. How in the hell does it hurt you? You want a clean game, make one. You don't want to make one, join a SpeakEasy. They are almost never modded and there are usually one or two SpeakEasy's going when I play Halo. Let the less experienced enjoy the delights of a modded and customized Halo (I speak for myself here, as well). Remember, IT'S JUST A FUCKING GAME. A bunch o' nerdy 20-30 year olds sat around computers drinking coffee with a girl in a swim suit as their desktop background designing something to get money from. GOLLY GEE, WE'VE NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE IN AMERICA!

Final statement: Can't we all just get along? :D
Hey hey, read my post. I take back what I said and I see how I was wrong.

And lol, I'm not 20-30. If I was 20-30 I'd be having a life right now.

I'm 30 and a half! Get it right! *shakes fists and screams while rolling on floor*

Just kidding...

And I'm not trying to get money from this...

«Beast»
Ranger

Post by «Beast» » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:05 pm

Yeah, I read your last post but by then I had already become militant and I wasn't about to not rant. Come on. Funny how you denied everything besides the girl in a swimsuit desktop. But I was talking about the creators of Halo, not you. :lol:

sword
Ranger

Post by sword » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:39 pm

Look, I don't mind if responsible modders get this information, but if new modders get it, we will see a massive ammount of new players obtaining mods that do the various things I have been trying to stop.

Please, just make this in a more restricted board or something at least.

Play one game on PC demo and you really will see what I mean.
The sword.

Deox
Operative

Post by Deox » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:57 pm

Beast wrote:Yeah, I read your last post but by then I had already become militant and I wasn't about to not rant. Come on. Funny how you denied everything besides the girl in a swimsuit desktop. But I was talking about the creators of Halo, not you. :lol:
Oh...uh...of course...I knew that...I um...just wanted...to see if you knew that...yeah...

...yeah...they'll believe that...>.>

sheepofdumb

Post by sheepofdumb » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:07 pm

I'm just a bystander now seeing little by little the big picture. Now right now I need help with everything I do but when I do it I try to be original. I needed a lot of help but now I have an original mod (as far as I know) for slayer that needs to be refined but it works well (just a simple nade placement thing but slayer needs plasma nades closer to the base so I put them right on top of the frags) But I have tried to figure out what I do when I do it.

Giving newbs info is not a bad thing. Please don't just call someone a n00b because they have found the easy way. Call them a n00b when they steal a mod and tell everyone how to make it.