Moderator: Halo Moderators

Re: Releasing Halo 1 Mac on HDM

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:10 pm

Dirks stopped so ya. . .

Dirk Gently
Commando

Post by Dirk Gently » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:30 pm

Mainly because there is no point trying to explain stuff to people that will not listen and continue to proclaim incorrect information.

Noodle
Delta Force

Post by Noodle » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:19 am

Vegerot wrote:Stupid dirk :tongue:, JK. And this argument may be idiotic, but the underlying question here is not. Whether or not to release Halo: Combat Evolved for the Macintosh system for free. Can we stop this stupid back and forth arguing and actually talk about the topic please?
Thanks. (my answer is yes, btw)
...That is the topic.

Smythe
Commando

Post by Smythe » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:21 am

Something i think is really annoying, having a drk, and a dirk.

Dirk Gently
Commando

Post by Dirk Gently » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:47 pm

well I was here first, so I call dibs.

Smythe
Commando

Post by Smythe » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:49 am

Dirk Gently wrote:well I was here first, so I call dibs.
thought so.
And drk doesn't even have an account.

{DKW}drk

Post by {DKW}drk » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:08 pm

you could just call me DKW.
and i do have a profile... it dosnt let me anywhere on this site.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:30 am

OK guys. LOL until the arguments... I must thank Dirk (clearly spelled, D I R K) for explaining the intellectual rights and modding situation so clearly to us.

We must continue to use our best judgement, not out of fear of persecution by Microsoft or any other halo-affiliated company (what a mess that is, with all those companies handling the game), but because we have the ability to use our best judgement, so that we can be a role model for ourselves and others. If Bungie still had the IP rights to the game, they would certainly have released every version of the game for Mac, probably before or at the same time having it released for PC and consoles like Xbox. In fact, Microsoft would have been better off leaving the IP rights to the game developers. But this mish-mash of handling works between developer/author, translator, publisher, etc. is only problematic since these companies have different work patterns and stock market patterns (progress is limited to the speed at which every involved company can adjust to innovation).

Tokage, I'm not going to ignore the outcome, because doing such things in life simply makes you open to mistakes and accidents. God gave us brains so we could use them, not ignore the information we gather with them. You should drive a car with your eyes open (technology pending), and you should listen to your conscience and core values when making decisions so that your decisions can improve as you grow as an individual.

Since nil said he may have every old version of Halo Full Mac, and since there is already a UB version available -- but the maps haven't changed -- then it would be ok to release the older applications, but not the maps, since you can get the maps through a cheap PC version purchase or through torrents (not recommended) or through the UB or through some other archiving web site that doesn't use its best judgement like we do.

By the way, I already keep some hidden archives of various historic versions of the game on HDM for purposes of redundancy and backup, but these links are not shared. Besides, like I said, I'm making the INCY Online to work with Zeus, and you know what the implications are with the INCY in terms of game content.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

x0v3rKiLx
Peon

Post by x0v3rKiLx » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:41 am

I don't see why releasing it is a problem, it's outdated and unavailable, as well as unsupported. If you were to recommend uploading a later build like 2.0.3 or 2.0.4, I would definitely cry legal problems here, but Halo PPC is a dead duck thanks to the disappearance of Rosetta from succeeding OSX updates as well as Snow Leopard. I say go for it.
New York's #1 Halo: Reach Player (KDR)

Unknown-D
Peon

Post by Unknown-D » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:07 am

x0v3rKiLx wrote:I don't see why releasing it is a problem, it's outdated and unavailable, as well as unsupported. If you were to recommend uploading a later build like 2.0.3 or 2.0.4, I would definitely cry legal problems here, but Halo PPC is a dead duck thanks to the disappearance of Rosetta from succeeding OSX updates as well as Snow Leopard. I say go for it.
I agree with x0v3rKiLx's statement. Might as well do it.
May peace prevail in this world.
Perhaps I should mod Halo again. Soon.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:45 pm

http://halodemomods.com/wiki/File:Old_versions.zip

I uploaded them a while ago and sent them to Sparky to test and see if they work, but he never got back to me so I never mentioned anything here about it until now. So, this is untested, but I'm almost sure these versions are the real deal. You will need to insert your Maps folder yourself, and you'll need to have the physical CD (or some virtual work-around) for almost all of the older versions. You also can't be running Lion to run the executables. Nothing in here includes versions >= 2.0, and there's a couple of very minor missing versions (check the included read me).
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:19 pm

Put in my PC maps folder , Booted up the oldest version that doesn't need a cd, then I just chose a pirated cd key and entered it in. I can play multiplayer even though its only like 7 servers haha. Still feels good to have it on my mac.
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:07 pm

>feels good to be a pirate!

brb printing some t-shirts

EDIT:
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig