Releasing Halo 1 Mac on HDM

Everything about Halo and its mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Re: Releasing Halo 1 Mac on HDM

Post by TaxiService » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:19 pm

Aw dirk… want to talk about it?

Sorry vegerot, i don't think dirk meant to be that mean! But he's right; bungie does not even posses halo's rights anymore. :-\ Asking them(bungie) for them(rights to post maps) would be useless, and would probably just draw more attention on the site the maps are posted on.

I say: if you have to post them don't expect who holds the rights of the game to agree.

But anyway why would [who holds the rights of the game] be upset if we had the original Halo maps online?! ·_· They would be a resource for modders like us! We are not pirating anything, FFS! We are not giving away the game; just some of the game files!

{DKW}drk

Post by {DKW}drk » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:56 pm

the only illegal thing that would happen is posting the raw game itself for DL.

Dirk Gently
Commando

Post by Dirk Gently » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:04 pm

{DKW}drk wrote:the only illegal thing that would happen is posting the raw game itself for DL.
Incorrect. Posting maps is illegal as it is distributing game content that you would have to pay for. The .app without the game content is a gray area, I am sure that it is not "allowed" but I don't think anyone would come after you for it.

Vegerot
SEAL

Post by Vegerot » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:24 am

Dirk Gently wrote: nope.avi

You know, I am in a foul mood you dumb shit, so get this. In order to do anything official with halo you need to own the IP rights to the game. Microsft own these, not macsoft and not bungie. Bungie own some retaining rights to patch MP or small thing, but they cannot add anything new to the game in terms of features. This means you need to be contacting microsoft about releasing the IP for it to be published online for free. And since you are a fucking rock and don't realize this IP is in use for Halo AE, this is not going to happen in the next 20 years.

for those of you that have trouble reading:

release it in any way you will get sued and get takedown notices. In order to have the rights to the game to post it you would need to buy them off microsoft. at this point you are either going to be told a number too high to be affordable, or you are going to be told they are not for sale.

does that make sense to you moron?
I didn't ask if WE can release it, you "dumb shit". I asked if Bungie or Macsoft had any plans to release the full game at any point in the future, like what they did with Marathon. But I guess you're too much of a "fucking rock" to understand that, huh?

And if you look at the Terms of Use for Halo (and I'm paraphrasing here). Any unauthorized modification of the game or its contents is illegal and punishable under law. So unless we all want to revert back to HEK and Custom Edition only, then we'll have to do some illegal stuff. Oh wait, we can't use Custom Edition, because transferring it to the Mac would be illegal. Oh yeah, same with HEK. So unless we want to revert back to just playing Slayer and CTF on Bloodgulch, we'll have to break a couple rules.

Also Dirk, you might want to re-read the rules. That's considered a personal attack. "Just making a reading suggestion."
Bunneh wrote:Now, please don't spam my newsfeed on how you need like 3 dildoes to make a giant dick statue on penisland or any of those other shitty facebook games.

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:47 pm

why do they always bite the hand. The fucking EULA I think it is or whatever terms of service are usually generic. I once heard that most eula's are void as they ignore basic constitunal rights. -my novice law knowledge.
Yarok wrote:There may be a giant dildo protruding from your forehead.

Dirk Gently
Commando

Post by Dirk Gently » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:51 am

Vegerot wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote: nope.avi

You know, I am in a foul mood you dumb shit, so get this. In order to do anything official with halo you need to own the IP rights to the game. Microsft own these, not macsoft and not bungie. Bungie own some retaining rights to patch MP or small thing, but they cannot add anything new to the game in terms of features. This means you need to be contacting microsoft about releasing the IP for it to be published online for free. And since you are a fucking rock and don't realize this IP is in use for Halo AE, this is not going to happen in the next 20 years.

for those of you that have trouble reading:

release it in any way you will get sued and get takedown notices. In order to have the rights to the game to post it you would need to buy them off microsoft. at this point you are either going to be told a number too high to be affordable, or you are going to be told they are not for sale.

does that make sense to you moron?
I didn't ask if WE can release it, you "dumb shit". I asked if Bungie or Macsoft had any plans to release the full game at any point in the future, like what they did with Marathon. But I guess you're too much of a "fucking rock" to understand that, huh?

And if you look at the Terms of Use for Halo (and I'm paraphrasing here). Any unauthorized modification of the game or its contents is illegal and punishable under law. So unless we all want to revert back to HEK and Custom Edition only, then we'll have to do some illegal stuff. Oh wait, we can't use Custom Edition, because transferring it to the Mac would be illegal. Oh yeah, same with HEK. So unless we want to revert back to just playing Slayer and CTF on Bloodgulch, we'll have to break a couple rules.

Also Dirk, you might want to re-read the rules. That's considered a personal attack. "Just making a reading suggestion."
Bungie has full rights to Marathon, they can do whatever they want with it. Macsoft/Westlake have no say in rights, they cannot even put out patches without authorization from microsoft and bungie writing the code first. The only people that can release the code at any point would be microsoft, as I said they own the rights to the game and IP. That is probably being shared with 343 or whomever is helping do Halo AE. The EULA is for the game binary and game content. This refers to nefarious modification of the game to provide unfair advantage or to gather information from other players. Bungie and their staff have nothing against game modification for the sake of extending game content. The EULA exists to prevent people from modifying the game and then attempting to redistribute it. For example, stripping the DRM from the game and tacking on a manner to bypass the key check so allow multiplayer for illegal copies of the game. This would be a violation of the EULA agreement. More often than not when you are dealing with EULAs or other legal documents they cover a wide range of topics, however they will only be used on select cases. This is a result of the legal docs need to cover all bases in case of something unexpected coming up, however rarely exercised on cases where people are creating new content or opportunities for the game.

For example if you look at "Project Magma" and "Myth" you will see that a group of community modders wanted to keep the game alive. They provide updates to the game and it is not technically an "official" arrangement since Project Magma does not own the rights to the game or the IP they could be gone after for breaking EULA or terms of agreement. However they have not yet and will most likely never be gone after because it is seen as extending the game.

Vegerot
SEAL

Post by Vegerot » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:33 am

O.K, so Bungie let the Myth users modify the game without getting them in trouble, not exactly but similar to how bribed cops let people break the law without getting them in trouble (actually, not at all, but whatever). The Myth users still broke the law, and Bungie could cave their skulls in with the Ban Hammer whenever they want to, but they won't. The EULA still applies to modding*, maybe that was not Bungie's main idea when they wrote that, but it still means what it means, which means that it's illegal.

P.S. I'm not trying to convince you that we should not mod, because I'm a huge modder, I'm just trying to let you know that it is not good.

*Well not ALL modding, just using applications that was not authorized by Bungie, so in the Mac's case, all modding.
Bunneh wrote:Now, please don't spam my newsfeed on how you need like 3 dildoes to make a giant dick statue on penisland or any of those other shitty facebook games.

{DKW}drk

Post by {DKW}drk » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:23 pm

*insert counter from Dirk*

tokage
Ranger

Post by tokage » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:40 pm

ITT: Legalfags and astronauts.

It would seem there is some grand delusions of grandeur floating around in the peoples.
There are, what, 20, 30 active people here? The fact is that MS doesn't give a flying flaming fantabulous fuck.
You could release the maps. Huzzah. You could also not. Huzzah.
Personally I'd like Halo 1 to remain alive so yes. And then others say no. So there.

Flip a coin Sparks. Ignore the outcome and go with the one you were hoping for while the coin was in the air.
Problem solved.

{DKW}drk

Post by {DKW}drk » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:40 pm

Terms of use wrote:Any unauthorized modification of the game or its contents is illegal and punishable under law.
Dirk your thinking your failing to defend us because were "Dumb shits". Dirk, your defending nothing.
we broke the law to make the damned MGM website, the mods and HDM. We broke the law uploading shit, we broke the law for making shit, Custom Edition broke the law because of its exsitance, any modder, anyone who mods, hacks or cheats breaks the law. Bungie hasnt brung the almighty banhammer down upon our souls have they? No, and they wont because its not even running on their bungie servers. Its running on Gamespy networks Bungie may have created the game, its not their server. One more thing If moding is illegal, why arent we all arrested and if your trying to stop us using the law and you modded (breaking the law), why bother?

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:07 pm

Im so pissed right now. I want to link to the song breaking the law but im on phone. someone should. anyway, drk CE was made by bungie... and Can someone confirm or void my thoughts that most EULAs are void?
Yarok wrote:There may be a giant dildo protruding from your forehead.

{DKW}drk

Post by {DKW}drk » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:21 pm

yes i know that

Smythe
Commando

Post by Smythe » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:49 pm

{DKW}drk wrote:Custom Edition broke the law because of its exsitance
you're an idiot.

Noodle
Delta Force

Post by Noodle » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:38 pm

Smythe wrote:
{DKW}drk wrote:Custom Edition broke the law because of its exsitance
you're an idiot.
Noodle's subconscious wrote:Everyone who seems to care about this topic is an idiot.
Noodle's subconscious wrote:This topic is for idiots.
Noodle's subconscious wrote:Don't post in this thread, faggot. It's for idiots.
...This entire argument is idiotic.

Vegerot
SEAL

Post by Vegerot » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:39 am

Stupid dirk :tongue:, JK. And this argument may be idiotic, but the underlying question here is not. Whether or not to release Halo: Combat Evolved for the Macintosh system for free. Can we stop this stupid back and forth arguing and actually talk about the topic please?
Thanks. (my answer is yes, btw)