All Vs. Host

Request new mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Subject22

All Vs. Host

Post by Subject22 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:31 am

I love hosting, but I don't like the massive advantage the host has over everyone else. To compensate for that advantage, and to make life interesting for myself, I'd like a mod that automatically places all people who join on the same team, against the host (me). The mod should be based around the pre-exisiting Triforce mod (because really, is there another way to play? :P). Flags and scoring should be disabled (because otherwise the host is forced to stay in base, which kills most strategy). Obviously shees are out (they're not in the linked version of triforce anyway), but hogs're fine (1 rocket, 1 machine per side). And of course team switching needs to be disabled. So, in summary:
  • Place all players on one team against the host
    Based on the linked triforce mod (ie: 3 weapons: sniper, pistol and shotgun; No shees; Standard 4 hogs)
    Flags and scoring disabled
    Team switching disabled
If someone feels like getting creative, the host could switch teams, causing everyone else to die and switch teams as well (swapping teams between sides), but that's not essential.

I would link this in a prettier way, but I have no idea how to do links properly on these forums xD
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4990751/Triforce

Thanks for any and all help! :D

Subject22

Re: All Vs. Host

Post by Subject22 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:53 pm

Hmm, well after some fiddling (never tried modding before, so this is all new to me) I've managed to swap the flags for a sniper, and to disable team switching. But I still can't figure out how to do the hardest bit, automatically putting everyone who joins on one team. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

kiddten
Commando

Post by kiddten » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:27 pm

you can use the halo color tool to do such a thing.
kiddten, on most things nowadays wrote:no
TaxiService wrote:HERE IS THE GODDAMN WALDO YOU CHEATING DICK
๖ۣۜĐeяP wrote:U MOTHER FUCKER AND U FUCKING PARENTS AND FUCKED OFF ASS HOLES

Subject22

Post by Subject22 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:50 pm

Thanks! I'll give it a shot and see where I end up.

That app's seriously cool. Can you think of a way of having it set everyone on the other team by default? Currently the best I can think of is setting teams manually then restarting. Or betraying everyone... xD

Anyway. Colour (color for you Americans :P) tool app works great. Preventing team switching by nulling out choose_team_button in DeLa (via Eschaton) works great. What doesn't work great is preventing scoring. I tried following one of the tutorials on this site (use Eschaton to modify weap weapons/flag/flag in matg to weap weapons/ball/ball) but that only changes the flag's appearance, people can still score. I tried changing it to a sniper, which works, but only red has the weapon (blue has nothing) and restarting causes Halo to crash. Nulling out prevents me from even starting the game (Halo itself opens, but I can't start CTF etc.)

Any ideas?

EDIT: Here's the tutorial I was talking about. viewtopic.php?f=55&t=12915
I see it says that nulling out will cause halo to crash, but then again it doesn't say anything about not being able to restart either.

Kayar
Delta Force

Post by Kayar » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:19 am

Ah, here, I can help.

1. Download swordedit if you haven't.
2. Figure out how to use swordedit. I'm only including this step because some people seem to have trouble with the concept. So, basically, take some time to get used to the interface and figure out how things work. Also, hold control to move objects vertically, because everyone who hasn't used swordedit before always asks how to do that...
3. Select the flag for each side and move it off the map, where it can never be gotten. Yes, the change is CSS (moving anything that is not scenery in swordedit is CSS). You will still be able to see the flags fall forever off the map, the distance from flag number will keep going up and you'll be able to see it if you look down, but that's it, I can't think of any other bad side-effects.

Good luck, also, good to see someone new who's trying to figure things out on their own for the most part, good job!
~Kayar~
TaxiService wrote:You haven't seen like the 90% of the dicks i drew. Someday i'll make a website where people will be able to browse the contents of my old notebooks.
WilliamSub wrote:They flock with your hormones
MGM Sig

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:41 pm

Theres a memory mod all vs. host...
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Subject22

Post by Subject22 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:03 pm

Thanks Kayar, I'll check that out. I took a look around the forums before I posted, and I was hoping you'd post :wink:

@Divine: A memory mod is what exactly? Care to link me to it?

I grabbed sword edit from here http://www.samuco.net/swordedit/swordedit_3.0.zip which I found here viewtopic.php?f=101&t=13289&start=30 (about half way down). I have to render the map with shaded faces (or dots or wireframe) because textured just gives me a filled in white outline with a few cubes etc. in it. I managed to move the flags, but now for some reason I can't switch teams (I know that's what I wanted but this is just odd), if I try I just get "waiting for space to clear" until I shut the game down. Perhaps I moved a player spawn point? I don't know how, I only moved the flags as far as I can tell.

Did I find the right version of swordedit? Did I do something obviously wrong? Is there another way of getting rid of the flags? Because that marker annoys the perfectionist in me :D Lastly, when I tested the mod I made with Eschaton last night, it turns out I only disabled team switching for myself, not everyone else. Which is OK, because HCS makes it easy to send people back, but it's a pain to have to keep doing it. Could you point me in the right direction to disable switching for all players?

As a side note, with HCS, after switching a player they are initially unable to switch back to the team they were on. But if they try to switch to the team I moved them to they die, reappear on that same team, and THEN are able to switch normally again. It's OK because in my test run last night no-one actually noticed the loophole, but again, I'm a perfectionist, so if there's a more water tight way of doing it I'd like to hear it.

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:14 pm

http://www.mediafire.com/?jjimncacwyz

topic is stickyd. Dynamic modding.
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Kayar
Delta Force

Post by Kayar » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:24 am

Swordedit was originally released by Sword (also made the Island, it's why the "sword room" is there) a while ago. His version is more stable, but in recent times Samuco has begun fixing up the app and adding in new features, for example, the ability to move and change objects live, while the game is running, which is pretty cool.
Subject22 wrote:Thanks Kayar, I'll check that out. I took a look around the forums before I posted, and I was hoping you'd post :wink:
*bows* Why thank you. Any time you need a sarcastic comment (or genuine help), myself and most of the rest of the active members are always here.
~Kayar~
TaxiService wrote:You haven't seen like the 90% of the dicks i drew. Someday i'll make a website where people will be able to browse the contents of my old notebooks.
WilliamSub wrote:They flock with your hormones
MGM Sig