Pushing the limits of modding to a WHOLE NEW LEVEL.

Request new mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Vegerot
SEAL

Re: Contest for REAL money.

Post by Vegerot » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:19 pm

Pielogist~ wrote:
Vegerot wrote:
Flaming Bunnies wrote:Problem. It's possible to up the graphics in Halo to match Reach, but it will be impossible to play. The increased strain on an unoptimized, outdated engine will most likely cause it (or your mac) to freeze. There is a reason it hasn't been done, and that reason is not laziness.
READ IT
Than what about ripping out the physics and making a new one? P.S. I know that the physics are like 90% of the game. But if, hypothetically, we had enough people and enough time, would it be possible?
He's not talking about the physics, he's talking about the engine. If we were to ramp up the graphics of halo demo to the equivalent of Reach's, the halo 1 engine wouldn't be able to handle it, and would crash. These things you are asking for, if we were to do them, we would need to be making a new game, with a new engine and everything. not modding halo 1. Plus, flaming bunssies also said that most macs couldn't handle halo reach graphics anyways, which i'll agree on.[/quote]

I think that Macs can handle the graphics of Reach. The newer Macs can definitely handle it! Of course you would have to practically close everything else on your computer to free up more RAM, but that's about it! The graphics isn't the main problem, it's the engine. Reach's engine is very complex and I'm not sure Macs have enough RAM to simulate it! You ever wondered why there is no 360 emulator? It's because of that (and 100 other things, both technical and legal).
Bunneh wrote:Now, please don't spam my newsfeed on how you need like 3 dildoes to make a giant dick statue on penisland or any of those other shitty facebook games.

kiddten
Commando

Re: Contest for REAL money.

Post by kiddten » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:50 pm

Vegerot wrote:I think that Macs can handle the graphics of Reach. The newer Macs can definitely handle it! Of course you would have to practically close everything else on your computer to free up more RAM, but that's about it! The graphics isn't the main problem, it's the engine. Reach's engine is very complex and I'm not sure Macs have enough RAM to simulate it! You ever wondered why there is no 360 emulator? It's because of that (and 100 other things, both technical and legal).

You don't know shit about making games do you. THE. HALO. 1. ENGINE. IS. NOT. ABLE. TO. HANDLE. IT.
No matter how good your computer is.
Last edited by kiddten on Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kiddten, on most things nowadays wrote:no
TaxiService wrote:HERE IS THE GODDAMN WALDO YOU CHEATING DICK
๖ۣۜĐeяP wrote:U MOTHER FUCKER AND U FUCKING PARENTS AND FUCKED OFF ASS HOLES

Sky Killer Mods

Re: Pushing the limits of modding to a WHOLE NEW LEVEL.

Post by Sky Killer Mods » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:06 pm

then wat about making it like halo 2 graphics and physics? that works too! ik that its not that far advanced from halo 1 but i still like the way it looks and i cant do any of that... im not smart enough. how about we just make it like halo 2 or halo 3 instead of reach. ik the macs can handle halo 2!

Samucos

Post by Samucos » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:20 pm

Sky Killer Mods wrote:then wat about making it like halo 2 graphics and physics? that works too! ik that its not that far advanced from halo 1 but i still like the way it looks and i cant do any of that... im not smart enough. how about we just make it like halo 2 or halo 3 instead of reach. ik the macs can handle halo 2!
Or you could just port halo 2 to the mac from PC in like 20 minutes and not waste a year making halo 1 into something it's not.

Sky Killer Mods

Post by Sky Killer Mods » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:48 pm

^^^^^

How would you do that?
i dont have Bootcamp and i cant install anything so how could i????

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:59 pm

Without having played anything past Halo 2, I'm going to guess that the graphics would be possible, but the physics would require scripting, which currently means no demo multiplayer functionality. (Of course, by "require", I mean they would typically use that method, but other methods are possible when making a new biped and animations.)

This would be best made using CE and converted to Demo. And I'm not going to work on it before Zeus supports making it rather easy to do, anyway.

The engine can handle it, because it has LODs for models, and we can modify so many aspects of the game already that it can be made to work.

If this is done soon, new physics that include new biped motions will only require a custom-made biped; the rest can likely already be done, and scripting is not really necessary if you're willing to use CE at such a level anyway.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:43 am

i just want the campaign, but i noticed that Miranda has a sucky voice actor
Yarok wrote:There may be a giant dildo protruding from your forehead.

draconic74
Green Beret

Post by draconic74 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:16 am

Put simply in my point of view:

This is more than modding. In fact, it isn't. What you seem to want to do is re-write the Halo CE Engine. So what you want is for us to reverse-engineer the source code for Halo and modify it. Not only is that far more illegal than modding in itself. And much harder, as far as I know (and I don't - see, that's the thing). On top of that you actually need people who can write code for the engine. You are probably much better off buying one of those other game engines (one of these, perhaps). Most of those are fairly old too, but at least they are built to do what you are trying to do, except perhaps good graphics and physics (oh wait...)

One last thing:
Reach graphics? Unless you can program atmospheric lighting dispersion, impostering and realtime ambient occlusion, I highly doubt it. And even then, running it...

Not trying to kill this or anything, its just that you need to realize what you are saying. It took Bungie years of talented programmers and artists working full-time to make each iteration of Halo and it's corresponding engine. What makes you think a small community of hobbyist modders can do this in just a year or two? Granted, we don't need anything non-multiplayer, but that still is an unreal amount of work.

PS: About graphics engines - I don't know exactly, but this is probably a good guess:
Particles:
-HaloCE: Hundreds?
-Reach: Thousands
Textures:
-HaloCE: max 512x512 (maybe 1024x1024?)
-Reach: x4 bigger or more
Models:
-HaloCE: Hundreds of points?
-Reach: 1 weapon has more than an H3 Marine (which probably means more points than bloodgulch itself has)

You would probably obliterate the Halo CE engine with any of these (just try to have 500 grenades go off at once, you will see).

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:47 am

thats funny because once i had 5000 grenades explode at once LOL.

Ranger
Location: Forerunner Cartography Installation 330, making new maps!

Post by 2310 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:35 am

It's for the same reason that Reach and H3 run on the same platform but Reach has superior graphics.

My opinion is that to push modding to a new level, we'll need new tools that will allow us to do what we can currently do but a whole lot better and more efficiently. Then we can think of applying the engine in new and original ways rather than trying to stretch it to do things it can't.

If you've tried Sauerbraten or another use of the Cube engine (like AssaultCube, RedEclipse, etc.) it appears (at least for me) to have far superior graphics, almost no lag, and run with less CPU usage.

Vegerot
SEAL

Post by Vegerot » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:02 am

Mgalekgolo wrote:thats funny because once i had 5000 grenades explode at once LOL.
What happened. Just a LOT of lag, or did the game quit?
Bunneh wrote:Now, please don't spam my newsfeed on how you need like 3 dildoes to make a giant dick statue on penisland or any of those other shitty facebook games.

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 am

Vegerot wrote: What happened. Just a LOT of lag, or did the game quit?
the game lagged so hard i had to restart my computer lol. once i had the truth and recon where the marines shot plasmies out of the AR. it bounces everywhere, and i had so many, the sound stopped.

Zodiark
SEAL

Post by Zodiark » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:58 pm

Vegerot wrote:Since my wife has recently won a $50,000 lottery I think I'll "give motivation" to make modders make something awesome!
Here it is. If you can make a mod that has: Halo 2 physics and Halo 3 graphics then I will add $50 to your PayPal account. Or if it has Halo 2 graphics and Halo 3 physics. I will add $75 to yours if you can make it so that it has Halo 2 graphics and Halo: Reach physics, Halo: Reach graphics and Halo 2 physics, Halo 3 graphics and physics. You get $100 if it has Halo 3 graphics and Halo: Reach physics or Halo 3 physics and Halo: Reach graphics. You will get $150 if it has Halo: Reach graphics and physics!!!
Does your "wife" :quote: know your giving away her winnings? Also for someone who is married you sure do act like a 10 year old, just by glancing at your sig.

Vegerot
SEAL

Post by Vegerot » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:39 pm

We share the bank account, and we said that we can take up to $300 from it without having to ask the other's permission. But I told her anyways saying that I was using it to "create a gaming revolution." And I made my sig when I got a new friend on XBL who was a really cool and nice guy but he would always scream "YOU ALL GOT PWNED BITCH!!!!!!!!" whenever he did something remotely good. So for a few days after being with him I started saying that on XBL, and that's when I made my account here (seems like forever). But then I stopped saying it when I actually decided to replay my voice in a message I was about to send.

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:06 pm

I understand the 93 live profile, but why lie and say your 13?
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.