[Tutorial] Port Forwarding

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Sparky
Delta Force

[Tutorial] Port Forwarding

Post by Sparky » Fri May 20, 2011 5:36 pm

I know this has probably already been exasperated in presentation, but in response to helping someone out with this very thing:

http://www.halodemomods.com/wiki/Port_Forwarding
Many people have internet connections that use routers or static IP addresses. For example, most DSL, ISDN, Cable and Fiber Optic internet connections currently use routers, and you may encounter this situation with your wireless internet connection.
If you notice that players cannot connect to your hosted multiplayer game, please use the following technique to forward port numbers 2302 and 2303, which are the port numbers used by the game.
1. Revert whatever you did so that it is normal again. (In case you made some adjustments to the internet settings in an attempt to fix this without prior knowledge.)
2. Visit this url: http://192.168.1.1/ in Safari or your web browser.
3. Enter the username and password for your router (this info came with your router, unless someone changed it since then)
4. Find the "port forwarding" settings wherever they are in that control panel.
5. Host a Halo Demo multiplayer game, hold down the scoreboard key, and note the last number (the fourth number: "x.x.x.THIS_NUMBER:port") in your IP address (probably 1,2,3 or 4, depending on how many computers are using that router also)
6. Configure the settings for that particular IP address (TCP and UDP, a.k.a. "BOTH" if an option), so that you forward port numbers 2302 and 2303.
7. Quit halo demo and reopen it, then host away. :-)
If you want to host multiple servers and you think your internet connection can handle it, you could forward port numbers 2302-2305 or higher, then duplicate your halo demo game folder and open up both copies of the game, hold down the Command (Apple) key while it opens so that you see the startup options, type in port numbers 2302 and 2303 for the first game application, and 2304 and 2305 for the second game application (and so on for additional copies), then host multiplayer games in both applications. You might want to turn down your graphics settings in some of the games unless you have a nice graphics card.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

kiddten
Commando

Re: [Tutorial] Port Forwarding

Post by kiddten » Fri May 20, 2011 5:43 pm

For ways to foward you ports on other games, I suggest looking at http://www.portforward.com.
kiddten, on most things nowadays wrote:no
TaxiService wrote:HERE IS THE GODDAMN WALDO YOU CHEATING DICK
๖ۣۜĐeяP wrote:U MOTHER FUCKER AND U FUCKING PARENTS AND FUCKED OFF ASS HOLES

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri May 20, 2011 5:57 pm

The method I describe should work with any game or application. But my friend tried using portforward.com because I recommended it, and he had issues.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

kiddten
Commando

Post by kiddten » Fri May 20, 2011 7:41 pm

It was just that portforward.com has the ports for many of the multiplayer games, so forgive me for trying to undermine you.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Fri May 20, 2011 9:49 pm

I have never ever been able to load http://192.168.1.1/ in my life! Probably i can't with my type of connection?
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

kiddten
Commando

Post by kiddten » Fri May 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Presuming you are using a router, find your local ip? I've seen occasions where the local ip is not 192.168.1.1...

Monoman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monoman » Sat May 21, 2011 3:19 pm

If you go into System Preferences->Network, that will show you your Router IP.
Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter. -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

MGM Discord | MGM Chat
MGM Sig

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sun May 22, 2011 12:15 pm

But the IP address 192.168.1.1 works also.