[TUTORIAL] How to make multiple of servers on HaloMD

Moderator: Halo Moderators

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

[TUTORIAL] How to make multiple of servers on HaloMD

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:08 pm

Well, as you guys know some people on MD has multiple of servers for on IP or should I say computer.
I started to do it, and I just want to tell you guys.

The way is duplication
Duplication of HaloMD works like this:
First, you must have HaloMD on your computer, then just press duplicate. it should now say "HaloMD copy"
Secondly, open the first HaloMD file that you originally have. make sure you get the white screen with all the settings. Then just make a server port of 2301 - 2311.
Third, you have to open your other HaloMD that you duplicated, and write down another server port that is not the same as the other HaloMD open.
Host your games and you should have two servers running. It should not create a lot of lag, because it is HaloMD, which runs on Intel Mac, duuh.
Make sure that it's running by looking at the servers list.
If you want three servers or more then just duplicate again and change the server port. Again remember: different servers ports.

Enjoy your Halo experience.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Re: [TUTORIAL] How to make multiple of servers on HaloMD

Post by nil » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:33 pm

The copy I gave you no one else has and it doesn't work nearly the same for anyone else, just so you know (aka this tutorial won't work for anyone). Also, your way is inefficient because you can launch multiple instances via Terminal without duplicating the entire app. By the way, only Modzy's server has multiple instances because it's a dedicated server so it can actually handle it. (The dedicated server software is completely different too, and can only be run via Windows)
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:25 pm

So he uses virtual machine? Wouldn't that lag the servers.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:19 pm

Wrong on two accounts:

1) The dedicated server software is a console application, it doesn't start up the game, and there are no graphics. It just handles the server only and uses minimal resources.

2) Modzy pays for his hosting, and his server is actually running on Windows without virtualization.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:35 am

I see.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:55 am

RIPz, the method you mentioned is the method I use for hosting multiple rooms with Halo Demo PPC, but I alias the maps folder within each duplicated Halo folder instead of copying it. I separate each hosted game by opening each in a separate space with Spaces.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

rEsTnPeAcEz
Veteran

Post by rEsTnPeAcEz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:57 pm

nil wrote:The copy I gave you no one else has and it doesn't work nearly the same for anyone else, just so you know (aka this tutorial won't work for anyone). Also, your way is inefficient because you can launch multiple instances via Terminal without duplicating the entire app. By the way, only Modzy's server has multiple instances because it's a dedicated server so it can actually handle it. (The dedicated server software is completely different too, and can only be run via Windows)

Well, I did the multiple instances thing and it is efficient, I noticed one thing: you must have the terminal shell open while running the server or the app will shutdown. Also if my tutorial doesn't work for some people then won't the multiple instances method work?
I basically just took the executable file of HaloMD and dragged it to the shell, then pressed enter/return and another instance of HaloMD started to run.

Sparky wrote:RIPz, the method you mentioned is the method I use for hosting multiple rooms with Halo Demo PPC, but I alias the maps folder within each duplicated Halo folder instead of copying it. I separate each hosted game by opening each in a separate space with Spaces.
-Sparky
I kinda like that method ;) it seems kinda advanced
Anyway, if you alias it, then you won't be able to have different maps and mods, right? Because when you host multiple of servers there are usually different mods. Also what is Spaces and what do you mean by separating each hosted game with Spaces.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:32 pm

rEsTnPeAcEz wrote: Well, I did the multiple instances thing and it is efficient, I noticed one thing: you must have the terminal shell open while running the server or the app will shutdown. Also if my tutorial doesn't work for some people then won't the multiple instances method work?
I basically just took the executable file of HaloMD and dragged it to the shell, then pressed enter/return and another instance of HaloMD started to run.
Yes that's how to do it, but trying this on the supported HaloMD version will fail to launch. Actually, even trying to double click the app will fail. You can do it if you know how to set the current working directory to the GameData folder which I relocated though (and this is what the lobby wrapper app does).

On Demo, since it uses an extremely outdated executable format, you have to use some CFLaunchService executable or some junk (don't recall the exact name. it's in /System/Frameworks/ somewhere) to launch multiple instances without duplicating the executable. Duplicating the executable here is probably less work though.

Spaces is a virtual desktop feature featured in Leopard (10.5), now replaced by Mission Control (10.7).