Model Injection Tutorial

Moderator: Halo Moderators

P!ckoff
Ranger

Model Injection Tutorial

Post by P!ckoff » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:10 pm

This is the best, most complete, and final model injection tut for Mac (Demo too!) This was originally written by the combination of Jsk1610/ 1337/ $0lD13R/ D@$0lD13R. It has been heavily revised by me to improve readability, final model quality, and demo compatibility. I have seen at least 25 topics in the last few months that asked for help is some way, shape, or form about model injecting, this is the answer. A sticky or a post of this in the Game Info section would be helpful.

How to Inject Custom Models Into Halo (Mac)

Requirements:
Wings3d
Objconverter
HMT

A custom model from wings3d (or a downloaded model, etc.)

First open HMT and any map (such as bloodgulch), if it is a demo map use Demo Hack to swap the header.

click the carrot that says mod2 and then save the meta that you want your custom model to replace in HMT (I’m using the ghost model).

Open obj converter and open the map (bloodgulch) and the .meta you saved.

Click geometry 0 and Export to OBJ.

now open wings 3d and open the custom model and export it to a .obj file.

Then open wings 3d again and import both the custom model and the original model. (Do this if the model is not made from the original; it wont look right otherwise)

Adjust the model to the right size so that it fits correctly so when MC uses it, it doesn’t look screwed up.

Delete the original model.

Select the model, click on the completely red pyramid above, right-click=>Invert (this will fix "holes" in the model). Then click on the one red side and right-click=>tessellate=>triangulate (this will allow Halo to shade the model).

Export it once again and have the same name as the old .obj file and replace that one.

Now that you have a fresh working custom model go back to obj converter and go to geometry 0 and change all of the parts’ vertices and indices #s to 0 except for the part with the most verts and inds so find that part first. It is usually 0 or 1, if one has more verts but less inds just use one; it doesn't really matter.

Now go to the one whose verts and inds are not 0 and click update offsets.

Now click OBJ on the top and find the .obj file you made a little while ago. It will split into .vertices and .indices.

Now go back to the parts and press attach. And find both of those files (.vertices and .indices).

Now press save and name it temp (default) but once you save it change the name to temp.mod2.meta (You must rename it .meta!).

Now go to Misc. on the bottom tabs and press append models and find those two files again.

Quit Obj for good (phew), and open HMT .75 with the same map.

Before you inject the meta highlight LoD 1 (which is the same as geometry 0 so if you used geometry 1 then you’d click LoD 2 but since you have used geometry 0 to make your model choose #1).

Now, inject the meta (with LoD 1 still highlighted) press Append Raw in the "Tag Specific." Find your .vertices and .indices one last time. Make sure you don mix those two files up, it lets you do that now.

Press "Save Offsets" (a must). When the button becomes clear again quit HMT, or it will crash and possibly mess up your map.

If it is a demo map, use Demo Hack to convert back to demo header.

If it was a vehicle, unfortunately you need to be close up to it for you to see your model so if you see your model isn't there when you’re far away don’t give up hope by accident. If halo crashes or HMT shows all of that wingding crap well don’t start all over. Replace the map so it’s completely new and try to inject the meta again and if it doesn’t work after that then you may have to start over. GOOD LUCK!!

-?????-
NOTES
-?????-

~For weapons, there are two relevant models: The 3p (in other's hands, ground) and the fp (In your hand). There are two ways of covering both of these. The hard way is to use the same model and inject it into both the fp and the 3p. The easier way is just inject into the fp, then, open the d-swappuh to the soon-to-be-remodeled weapon (NOTE: not the mod2 tag, the weap) and change the mod2->weapons/'yourweapon'/'yourweapon' to weapons/'yourweapon'/fp/fp.

~I have found that the pistol (Full version, when remodeled, stubbornly resists any reskinning. I have no idea why.

~This tut was only revised by me, not created, but I feel that I have perfected it to the best of my ability. I got it on HaloMods, Mac Downloads, sniper model help, where it was posted by someone who got it from someone else, etc.

P!ckoff
Last edited by P!ckoff on Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Xpro + 3D texture

Mac Hacker
Ranger

Post by Mac Hacker » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:10 pm

hmm looks like a tut i posted on HH? :lol:
TsGh

P!ckoff
Ranger

Post by P!ckoff » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:45 pm

HH? Oh Halo Heaven. I didn't copy, I swear. And thanks for the sticky, Monoman.
Image Xpro + 3D texture

KyRoZt

Post by KyRoZt » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:35 am

Would it be possible to make it with more images? and maybe a few links...

P!ckoff
Ranger

Post by P!ckoff » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:57 pm

Yes, but still...

KyRoZt wrote:Would it be possible to make it with more images? and maybe a few links...
I frankly do not know how much more specific I can get. What are you having trouble with?
Image Xpro + 3D texture