How does ppf work?

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Altimit01
Eschaton Dev
Eschaton Dev

Post by Altimit01 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:46 am

PPF = playstation patch format. A simple patching system that easily allows the distribution of mods. As of 3.0 it works in two ways to record just the changes between two files. So if the files are the same size, and mostly contain the same data then the ppf of the difference between those two files is going to be very small. The two ways a ppf stores changes are by storing the offset of the difference along with the different data (go to x offset in file and change to y data to make file A become file B) and an offset, data and repeat block that takes care of repetitive data (go to x offset, write y data z amount of times). This is the tutorial for making PPFMaster the program that creates and applies .ppfs works.
PPF Creation by bobindashadows

PPFMaster The first thing you need is PPFMaster, a program by ScotiaSoft systems for the creation of PPF Patches. You can download it form the utilities page. Also, you need to have a modded map, along with the original.

A Little Bit About PPFs

The reason we have PPF Patches is that it’s difficult to distribute the full Halo maps, so people can install them. What PPF patches do is figure out what’s different between a regular map and a mod, and save what’s different. That way, a person can simply download your patch, and use a program to install the mod. Note: PPFs are usually not efficient for rebuilt maps. I’m going to teach you how to make those PPFs here.
Making the PPF

First, you have to have both an unmodded map and a modded map. If you don’t have one, stop here. When you have both, launch PPFMaster. There are two sections to the program Ñ apply, and make. You will be looking at the bottom half of the window. Use the two browse buttons to select the original map file, and select the modded one. If you don’t know what file_id.diz is, ignore that. It’s beyond the scope of this tutorial. Choose if you want “Undo data”, which allows the user to undo your mod if they so desire. Choose if you want validation - chances are you don’t. That will just make it harder for people to install your mod. When you’re ready, click the “Make” button. It will ask you where you would like to save your PPF, and proceed to create it. Just wait a while, and it should make the PPF.

Conclusion

For those Mac users wanting to distribute their mods, PPFs are key. This tutorial should’ve taught you how to use a simple program and make the PPFs you need.
Small note: PPFMaster doesn't seem to want to work correctly all of the time and may simply say "build failed" instead of creating a ppf. The simple way of fixing that is to have PPFMaster be on your desktop instead of in a folder somewhere.

Applying ppfs:
Applying PPF’s
By: Napoleon Blown-apart

BACK UP YOUR MAPS!!!!

1. You need either PPF Master or PPF-O-Matic
2. They are included in this Download
3. First you need a PPF and it needs to be named that same as the map you are going to apply it to. Eg. Bloodgulch.map = Bloodgulch.ppf
4. PPF DO NOT WORK ON DIFFERENT MAPS!!! Eg. If you dl a mod for blood gulch you can’t change the name to sidewinder.ppf and expect it to work
5. First double click on the ppf
6. Then it should open PPF-O-Matic if it doesn’t then make it open with that
7. Click on the select next to the part that says target (Or something like that just not patch)?8. Select the map in the pop up window that is named the same in your maps folder
9. Hit apply and you’re good to go!
Disclaimer: I am no longer active. Any posts, PMs or other communication I use has no guarantee of accuracy or follow up.
Download Eschaton: Mediafire

EliteGrunt
Veteran

Post by EliteGrunt » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:10 am

=O i cant bleive i no something tht taxi doesnt!...i no how PPF's work...i think altimit explained it all -.-
Awww, now what?

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:15 am

Altimit01 wrote:Small note: PPFMaster doesn't seem to want to work correctly all of the time and may simply say "build failed" instead of creating a ppf. The simple way of fixing that is to have PPFMaster be on your desktop instead of in a folder somewhere.
O_O that is really a good thing to know. Thanks altimit! how could we do without you!
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

EliteGrunt
Veteran

Post by EliteGrunt » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:16 am

nooo! now taxi does kno!! arg...ok im done :D
Awww, now what?

Shodos
Veteran

Post by Shodos » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:57 pm

we need more quickpatchefiles and less ppf's

>Shadow<
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by >Shadow< » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:08 pm

Why? PPFs work fine. They are only a few KB to a few MB in size.

Ranger

Re: How does ppf work?

Post by 002 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:39 pm

I think PPFs are easier. Why aren't they used anymore?
(Posted at July 24, 2009 just for easier time references)

Altimit01
Eschaton Dev
Eschaton Dev

Re: How does ppf work?

Post by Altimit01 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:18 pm

Some reasons:
It's a buggy program for one.
Patching isn't as easy as simply having multiple files.
More people have high speed internet.
Patching doesn't work for rebuilt maps.
Disclaimer: I am no longer active. Any posts, PMs or other communication I use has no guarantee of accuracy or follow up.
Download Eschaton: Mediafire