(Tutorial) Water. Well. Sorta.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Magnum
Peon

(Tutorial) Water. Well. Sorta.

Post by Magnum » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:21 pm

Alright, so going through all my old modding stuff, and getting ready to get back into it, I ran across the water tutorial I promised to post when I made swamp gulch v1. I can't remember if I ever posted it, but if I did, I re-wrote most of it. So here it goes.

Making water----O_O First off, I would like to say that this water is not literally water. It is a meta-data change in the normal log, changing the way it looks.

1. Open the map you would like to put that object called "water" in HMT.

2. Go down to the mod2 tag.

Now you have two choices. One is longer than the other, which allows you to have a slight animation in the water. If you decide to take the long way...this way has small animation confirmed by The Pool!, follow the steps. If you take the short and sweet way, skip step 3A.

3A. You can import the swat tag from b30 into the bloodgulch map you have now. 3A. . After you import the tag, go into the mod2 tag and find the scenery/trees/tree_leafy_fallentrunk/tree_leafy_fallentrunk. what you do is change these shaders in here to those of the swat tag from b30.

3B. For those wanting the short and sweet way, all you need to do is change the mod2 shaders for the fallentrunk, to those of a needler shader. From here, change the color of the shader to whatever color you would like your water!

4. Now, I haven't figured out how to make it as glitchy, but I am guessing its just by the more logs you put in, the less glitchy it becomes. You next need to place logs in the map where you would like there to be water. Don't forget to null out the collision models of the logs, or you will eventually run into one where you have placed the logs.

Hopefully this will help the progress of modding, opening up newer map variations to newly made maps. I, Magnum, take credit for half of this, but the other half goes to a bunny, who helped with the idea. He told me about this and I was on my own there after. I know you probably will not see this, but thank you a bunny.

Tutorial written by Magnum .mungaM. on clanhalo.net

Suprisingly, I know it will shock most of the older modders who see this, that it isn't as expected because it did for me knowing it was something so simple, but so different. But for having your own, homemade scratch water in Bloodgulch without using CE and making it yourself, this is as good as it gets. Nothing beats making things from other scenery from the game itself.

Enjoy!

~Magnum~
  • ::Mah Sigs::

Zanghfei
Ranger

Re: (Tutorial) Water. Well. Sorta.

Post by Zanghfei » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:42 pm

Sounds Good.
BUt what im doing with 3A and 3B i chose myself?

Magnum
Peon

Post by Magnum » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Yes, you choose. If you want a look of water, then do 3B. If you want a more somewhat unstable, but moving, then do 3A. If you do one, you dont do the other. Make sense?
  • ::Mah Sigs::

Rofldonutburger
Commando

Post by Rofldonutburger » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:49 pm

Edit: Nvm Magnum replied first
Dead. derp

Zanghfei
Ranger

Post by Zanghfei » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:45 pm

Magnum wrote:Yes, you choose. If you want a look of water, then do 3B. If you want a more somewhat unstable, but moving, then do 3A. If you do one, you dont do the other. Make sense?
Rofldonutburger wrote:Edit: Nvm Magnum replied first

To bad Rofldonutburger
But
Thx

zapconquest
Ranger

Post by zapconquest » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:16 pm

I wonder if it would be less glitchy if you applied this to something bigger than the fallen trunk, such as one of those big boxes in Mota's tag pack.

Rofldonutburger
Commando

Post by Rofldonutburger » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:29 pm

Or maybe a Hangar wall from Crossing.
Dead. derp

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:24 am

Hangar walls don't work well for me, because of the lightmaps affecting them.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.