How to use HexEdit (Informative, not inquisitive)

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:26 pm

i was trying 2 figure out how to use hexedit and i found this page http://www.halomods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3563 i think that that stuff is for the windoze expee version of halo and not 4 mac. but is it still tru?? is the offsetts and values and metas and watever else in the same columns every time? i mean like that the first column of code is the offsett, the 2nd is the meta, and the 3rd is the values? that site said somthing about multiply by something in hex, and put codes backwards? can u please help me? i still cant make the mod that monoman wants 2 get access to the mod dev boards please help me

foxrun
Veteran

Post by foxrun » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:14 am

Definitions
Byte: 2 characters (0-10 and/or A-F) ex: 4c, 34, da, etc.
Word: 2 bytes ex: 1a 23, 12 34, ac 31, etc.
Dword: Also refered to as double word, integer, or int, its 2 words (hence double word) ex: 1a 23 12 34, 12 54 0a c5 etc.
Meta: The controls and data, it takes resources and uses them to do something.
Pointer: A dword that stores an offset within it. Directly from the map, it has magic added. ex: The values use in offset swapping are actually meta pointers, they have magic added.
Identifier: Also called IDENT a unique number representing a tag. It is a different value in every map. First byte is 'E'.
Offset: An address to a value somewhere in the file.
Value: Number referring to something in the code.
Tag Type: Categories that tags are put in, such as projectile tags are in the "proj" tag type.
Endians: Endian is the style the information is stored in. Big endian is stores information in a normal readable state, and little endian stores the information backwards.
Index: The offset list/tag information list inside of a map.
Tag: Any object used in the map.

yea thats true. well i dont know what you mean by "multiply then put backcwards" but things in hex are read backwards, which makes it easy to find in the ASCII (left column of english characters).

so vehicle in hex ascii would be

ihev

item collection = cmti

Equipment = piqe

object item = mtijbo

weapon = paew

projectile = jorp

scenery = necs

theres a whole bunch of them

I also know that hex is more defined way of binary (0, 1) hex is 0-9 and A-F. 16 digits total. the numbers increase like your spedometer on your car.

?Demon?
SEAL

Post by ?Demon? » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:24 pm

Who ever it was that posted that somewhat helped me. All I have to do now is figure out how to determine what types of codes are metas, offsets, etc. The hex code 69 68 65 76 is what stands for ihev. So, does that code have any other function but to show that the code near it is for a vehicle? The guest poster said something about the four columns in hex always being the meta of offset, or something like that. Is this true?

Also, I have read that "everything is meta editing". Does this mean to just swap the metas?
Karahna wrote:I have a small penis. :(
PWNAGED! DON'T ASK ME MOD QUESTIONS OR I WILL JUST MAKE FUN OF YOU AND CALL YOU MEAN NAMES.

halotheman

Post by halotheman » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:22 pm

deox could you or someone else post a video turturial or pics on how to do it right now im lost :cry:

Syperium
Ranger

Re: so where do u get the codes?

Post by Syperium » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:46 pm

Some1 new wrote:so where do u get the codes? lets say i wanna delete a car what numbers and letters do i delete?
where is the ascii code sheet for halo demo modding?

Ever Heard of an offset list and spawn points?

Something I've just discovered and have knoledge in, deleting cars, and making them turn and having them spawn on cliffs. It is rather fun to have a warthog over the spawn point, in which the Cyborg spawns at, and watch the warthog fall on him, and he dies. Hehe, it is halarious. Alright, well, good luck in your modding travels. (If you ever move to mod...?). Lol. Bye.

Barf Red

Hexedit

Post by Barf Red » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:03 pm

I really do not understand this hexedit thing, i would really like to understand it so that i can create my own MODs :( I wish that you could make another article so that you can use examples for first timers like myself.

Now i will try and get more info in the halo demo lobby or a game or something, make another article though

>Shadow<
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by >Shadow< » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:35 pm

Okay then. You don't understand hex. But did you haveta put your post in red? Rd is not easily seable over black. Especially that shade.

sword
Ranger

Post by sword » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:38 pm

2 of the most helpful terms a modder might know are these:

Reflexive

Identity

I will not define them for it would make it all too easy. These two terms pretty much encompass most of the modding we do, as well as how you can go about modding more easily.

But first, you need to know what they mean, how you find them, and also how they are used in the map file.

Have fun :)
The sword.

?Demon?
SEAL

Post by ?Demon? » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:20 am

What exactly does "mtijbo" (object item) do? I have seen <ihev>mtijbo in the ASCII column of HexEdit a bunch of times, and I have found no relevance. I was able to do simple swapping with the mtijbo codes and other hexcodes, and everything went fine. (Yes, simple swapping is just about all that I can do. Well, I can somewhat change spawn points too.) Anyway, what is the significance of the object item codes? If you are going to tell me to go get access to the mod dev boards, then I will say that I have already sent Monoman my mod. (I THINK that he got the link...)

It was quite amusing to realize that when I had completed the mod Monoman requested I had the projectile, equipment, and some of the vehicle offsets, and the results of swapping them all nice and safe in a TextEdit document. In other words, the part of the day that it took me to build Monoman's mod gave me the information that I was looking for in the mod dev boards. (Excluding the weapons and some of the vehicle codes since I have not gotten around to getting all of those yet.)

So now I get to learn meta editing. Woot.

EDIT: And as for "reflexive" and "identity", I have all of that right here for those of you who don't feel like finding it yourself: Click me
PWNAGED! DON'T ASK ME MOD QUESTIONS OR I WILL JUST MAKE FUN OF YOU AND CALL YOU MEAN NAMES.

Syperium
Ranger

Post by Syperium » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:22 am

Umm, isn't that the amount of guns that you carry. You might see that next to the pistol or AR... in the ASCII... When i get my computer back, I'll show you....

A Bunny
Operative

Post by A Bunny » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:08 am

Demon wrote:What exactly does "metiejbo" (object item) do?
It's showing the inheritance of the class. In the case of the vehicle it shows that a vehicle is an item and that items inherit from objects.

A non-programming comparison would be squares. A square inherits from rectangle which inherits from quadrilateral which inherits from polygon...

sorry if I'm not making any sense...

Syperium
Ranger

Post by Syperium » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:09 am

I understand now...

O man was i wrong... hehe.

?Demon?
SEAL

Post by ?Demon? » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:01 pm

I think I understand what he is saying. I believe that the tag mentioned above is what shows that the warthog is a vehicle, and a vehicle is an item, or something like that.

When in doubt, ask a lagomorph for advice......

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:26 pm

Hey, everyone. Here's an idea:

1. Download a mod.
2. Compare the mod file with the original file you had using HexEdit.
3. Learn what that part of the file does.

Genius, no?
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

?Demon?
SEAL

Post by ?Demon? » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:30 pm

Well.......That's what I did to help me when I started modding. However not everyone can think of doing that. If you are going to compare map files, start with basic mods with few differences. Or just search, copy and paste.