Letter requesting source code of the Halo Universal Binary

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Re: Letter requesting source code of the Halo Universal Bina

Post by nil » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:09 pm

Give it a rest. He can't really help us. We don't really need his help. Source code is not as useful as you think it is.

No one deserves to read a paragraph that is structured as painfully as that, Sparky.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:01 am

I guess you don't like reading my narrative stories prompted through discussion matter. But I don't think you were ever really interested in getting the source code to Halo or any of its related applications anyway.

I seek the source code for a better understanding of the nuances of the game engine, for myself and for this community which would benefit from that knowledge. If I were a teacher in a school, I would be on sabbatical or at a teacher's convention gaining hours at a number of workshops so that my additional learning would benefit the school and its students upon my return.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Samuco_

Post by Samuco_ » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:08 pm

If we had the source code, so many things could be achieved.
(Like making all maps css?)

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:38 pm

Well, I know nil has his reasons for saying that the source code is not as useful as I make it out to be.

Anyway, that's still one of my "most obvious steps first" tasks. Next to actually licensing the source code ourselves, it would even maybe be better to work on our relationship with 343i and MacSoft. I should get back in touch with Nick.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Gogeta ;)

Post by Gogeta ;) » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:51 pm

Sparky wrote:Let's send a letter to MacSoft requesting the source code for the Halo Universal Binary.

Contact information

There are many reasons why we would want to do this. Our main purpose is to create a demo version for Halo UB. Please submit your letter proposals here and we'll come up with a single revision to send as a letter, and I'll make a follow-up phone call to them when the time comes.

Go ahead and get together over Mumble and use CollabEdit.com to make the letter. I'll propose one here too.
You know what? I'm on Mumble all the dang time and nobody is ever on there!

sword
Ranger

Post by sword » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:14 pm

You do realize MacSoft would have had to license the code and use of all Halo related art and trademarks from Microsoft and / or Gearbox and would be legally liable if the source code were released against the authorization of their licensor?
The sword.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:48 pm

I have a definite contact now regarding the source code. My question for you all is, will you be willing to work on it?

Modzy
Green Beret

Post by Modzy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:50 pm

Might as well.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:42 am

I'll make a new topic for listing things which should be improved in the game.

dirk

Post by dirk » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:34 pm

Sparky wrote:I have a definite contact now regarding the source code. My question for you all is, will you be willing to work on it?
No. You will not get the code and will not get anyone to work on it because there is no way to track these people and hold them accountable of having access.

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:58 pm

There are always those people who copy the source code indev...
Yarok wrote:There may be a giant dildo protruding from your forehead.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:24 am

dirk, the only answer that seems forthcoming at the moment is that this is not necessarily the case, there are reasons why LLC's exist, and as far as I know you don't have a say in the decision you mentioned for or against it. Since we are talking about buying a license, I'm just going to say that it pays to think outside the box.

Samuco_

Post by Samuco_ » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:25 pm

iPhone/iPad port? ;)

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:40 am

dirk wrote:
Sparky wrote:I have a definite contact now regarding the source code. My question for you all is, will you be willing to work on it?
No. You will not get the code and will not get anyone to work on it because there is no way to track these people and hold them accountable of having access.
Yeah, you know, I didn't say this before, but this is the main speed bump in the issue. There are some solutions, but I have kind of moved on to the next phase of things and this topic has become a point of departure; I'm at a different point of the process now than I was when I considered asking MacSoft for the source code.

In case anyone was wondering, here's my response to clarify my current plans, considering what has been already discussed here at MGM and over at HaloMaps and 343i:
It seems the best situation for us all would be to have access to the source code, either directly or indirectly. I've been getting in touch with developers and maintainers of various versions of this in order to gather a better idea of where the game is in its development and to establish a relationship of communications with these people -- as you put it, "conversing with the big guys".

I've also been asking around for ideas for improvements of the game at the forums at MGM, at HaloMaps.org and at 343 Industries. I plan to get most of the big ideas together and use them to get a better idea of the value and approach of discussion while contacting the Halo licensing person at Microsoft I was referred to by 343i's forum community representative.

I will present what information I can legally share here while determining whether the potential value in dollars matches up to the licensing costs. The license would be an investment.

Indirectly affecting the source code would mean working directly with MacSoft and Gearbox.

All this also applies to the Halo Editing Kit by Gearbox which I would probably simply fix up and then integrate into Zeus for both PC and Mac.

Moxus
Delta Force

Post by Moxus » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:52 am

Just out of curiosity, how dead is Halo Full? I remember reading somewhere that the Mac side of it is essentially gone.

-=Moxus=-
Kayar wrote:The Collective: Spamming its way to a better tomorrow.
Many thanks to the people who have made my years on MGM and on Halo Demo so memorable.