HaloMD

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

sparkplug

Re: HaloMD

Post by sparkplug » Mon May 21, 2012 7:48 pm

nil wrote: *Added 4 new maps: Shaft (replacing putput), Crossing (replacing infinity), Barrier (replacing boardingaction), Depot (replacing deathisland)
Who are the authors of each of those maps?

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon May 21, 2012 10:39 pm

sparkplug wrote:
nil wrote: *Added 4 new maps: Shaft (replacing putput), Crossing (replacing infinity), Barrier (replacing boardingaction), Depot (replacing deathisland)
Who are the authors of each of those maps?
Fuel, Moxus, Gvn, and Amy respectively. But Depot and Crossing are somewhat broken and not included currently. If you mod Shaft and Barrier (with fixes), mod the maps that came with HaloMD, not the original Demo ones.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Tue May 22, 2012 1:29 am

What I'm doing is rather painstaking, but it seems to be the only way, given the unique issues with each map. I'm remaking each map using the Halo Editing Kit, but instead of being able to import the scenario tag, due to problems in the maps, I'm having to start from scratch and copy-paste all the relevant metadata into each map. This will be unnecessary with Shaft, though, since it uses a BSP. It's necessary with Barrier, but I'm almost done with that map anyway. Just a few more player starting locations and netgame equipment locations to finish up, then a quick legit bitmap for the walls rather than the unearthed metal panels bitmap which is the actual name of the referenced bitmap, and that's a done deal and Shaft is next.

Are Fuel and Yummy the same person? The protected tags mention Yummy. Did Fuel use Yummy's Halo Map Protector then? Or somesuch.

Anyway, remaking the maps keeps with the theme of having one of each version for every mod at HDM.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Tue May 22, 2012 5:37 am

Sparky wrote:What I'm doing is rather painstaking, but it seems to be the only way, given the unique issues with each map. I'm remaking each map using the Halo Editing Kit, but instead of being able to import the scenario tag, due to problems in the maps, I'm having to start from scratch and copy-paste all the relevant metadata into each map. This will be unnecessary with Shaft, though, since it uses a BSP. It's necessary with Barrier, but I'm almost done with that map anyway. Just a few more player starting locations and netgame equipment locations to finish up, then a quick legit bitmap for the walls rather than the unearthed metal panels bitmap which is the actual name of the referenced bitmap, and that's a done deal and Shaft is next.
Sounds painful.
Sparky wrote: Are Fuel and Yummy the same person? The protected tags mention Yummy. Did Fuel use Yummy's Halo Map Protector then? Or somesuch.
No. They are different. Yummy is mentioned in there just as a joke.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Tue May 22, 2012 1:47 pm

Download:
Barrier, remade by myself
Since the map technically doesn't use the bsp, I wasn't able to do this easily at all through normal map-making methods with the HEK. This required several time-saving macros in order to manually copy-paste the scnr data from Eschaton to a new .scenario tag in Guerilla.

It has an official new bitmap and shader for the hangar walls, but I didn't change the teleporter locations or any other netgame flags -- but I only included the netgame flags which were necessary for it, adding new ones so that the map is compatible with every gametype. I also added a complementary red beacon on the other side of the red base to match the blue base's blue beacons. This map is very streamlined, not having any vehicles at all. It feels "lighter".

Some other small changes like centering the CTF flags on their base scenery were done. Yet I didn't move the teleporter entrances or exits to match their scenery. I also didn't snap the rotations of objects to 90 degrees, but left them at their original values.

Screenshot:
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Tue May 22, 2012 2:33 pm

I'm going to have to do pretty much the exact same process with Shaft, but does Fuel have the unprotected version of this map? And is this map really worth me going through it and remaking it into an unprotected version for CE, Demo and Full? Or would it be better for me to just make a multiplayer version of the Silent Cartographer, kind of like a coop version where red team is the marines and blue team is the covenant. (This would be without moving AI, but I could place some AI in turrets along the cliff walls on the beach area...)

I guess what I'm trying to say here is: are you sure you want to include Shaft with HaloMD, or would you rather have me make a new mod with the b30 environment?

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Tue May 22, 2012 3:54 pm

Let's hold off on Shaft for now (Taxi also had his own version of it, but it's also broken in its own way). Your version of Barrier is not converting successfully.
nil wrote:Basically, you need to make sure BSP Nuller has the "un-null BSP" button disabled on your map, even if you think you hadn't nulled out the BSP.
First off, BSP Nuller on both of the map files in the download has the "Un-null BSP" button enabled, which is no good.

Attempt 1: Convert demo to full -> 'seems' playable. Try to "un-null BSP", map crashes.
Attempt 2: Try to "un-null BSP" on demo map, then convert to full -> map crashes.

Ask Modzy for the pearl beta if you don't already have it, Sparky.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Tue May 22, 2012 6:51 pm

You don't have to do anything with the BSP, though. It should be just fine if you convert it as-is to Full. I'm using the BSP that I developed for this purpose earlier, as I posted it. Did you try converting the map directly to full and playing it? Don't mess with the bsp null thing at all, that's just going to break stuff.

I'm developing a multiplayer version of b30 which includes both bsps combined and fixed-up. I'll publish the map which is closest to the original b30 map as it can be and still be multiplayer as a template map, kind of how The Island was like a template map. The scenario will be modified slightly because of scripts and cutscenes not usable in multiplayer demo games, but the bsp should be usable as a template once I'm finished with that. At this moment, I just exported what should be a working version if Tool doesn't complain about the lack of +exactportal volumes. I'm expecting it to complain, though, so I'll probably have to create those volumes and try again.

This multiplayer version of The Silent Cartographer is part of a series of the campaign converted to multiplayer that I'm calling Rejuvenation. (Has anyone else used that title?)

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Tue May 22, 2012 9:32 pm

Your finally taking my suggestions! looking forward to it.
Yarok wrote:There may be a giant dildo protruding from your forehead.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Wed May 23, 2012 7:31 am

Sparky wrote:You don't have to do anything with the BSP, though. It should be just fine if you convert it as-is to Full. I'm using the BSP that I developed for this purpose earlier, as I posted it. Did you try converting the map directly to full and playing it? Don't mess with the bsp null thing at all, that's just going to break stuff.
Just because it seems to play fine doesn't mean it isn't broken. I'm 90% sure if BSPNuller thinks the bsp has been nulled, the map will crash on the PC dedi tool.

[EDIT]: Nevermind. Maybe it does work :P. Testing now.
[EDIT2]: Barrier does indeed work. Guess I was wrong. Any reason why you changed the starting weapon to a plasma rifle instead of the needler? I think I'd change it back.
[EDIT3]: Did you put the KOTH marker in the middle intentionally knowing there's "three" different places you can be in it? How about adding more markers? One of them could be at the bottom teleportation path to get to the other base (where the OS/Camo is at). Each base also has its own side, so there are two more potential places there. And I assume oddball works correctly, right?
Last edited by nil on Wed May 23, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Wed May 23, 2012 11:00 am

Markers don't work that way. A hill is nothing more than a polygon delimited by hill markers, and hill markers are the vertices of the hill. Each marker has an ID number, so that when the game activates hill 0, all the markers with ID 0 connect, forming the hill.

The nav point you see in your HUD is generated while playing, and it's the barycenter of the polygon. It wouldn't make sense to have more of these at once for a single hill. If you wanted three nav points you'd have to make three hills: one in each corridor and one in the middle, but then it'd obviously not be the same thing as having one single hill separated by two walls.

Learn more about KOTH hills at
your local
taxi's house.
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Wed May 23, 2012 11:12 am

What I was asking for (or meant) was making more hills. If you play Crazy King for example, the hill should switch after a certain amount of time.

[EDIT]: Is it also possible to fix Barrier's teleporters? The Master Chief isn't always facing the correct direction when he teleports. These following posts may be informative and helpful regarding that.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Wed May 23, 2012 1:53 pm

Sure I can fix the teleporters, that's rather easy to do. But I had to "manually" enter the values for the KOTH marker, based upon the center point being the overshield. I like it this way, since you have to guard three areas rather than just one single area. I like just one hill also, it's no big deal in my mind.

Working on finishing fixing up the scnr tag to let it work right with multiplayer -- I'm talking about Rejuvenation B30. Red team starts at original starting location and goes to get blue flag at the security station. Blue team starts on the other side of the island and goes to get the red flag at the map room. It's really coop and I'll be adding AI in vehicles at key locations, but for now, it's just the original AI and it can work well as a solo map too or something like that.

Combining the BSPs worked fine, no problems besides the underwater fog permeating the entire level. If you want to use this as a template, you can null the water if you use the indoor environment only, or leave it if you use the outdoor environment only. Or play it as-is, whatever, it's cool. I have to go now... I've been up all night and I have to be somewhere. >.>

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Wed May 23, 2012 3:32 pm

Sparky wrote:Sure I can fix the teleporters, that's rather easy to do.
Yay. But also, the starting weapon in Barrier is a needler but you changed it to a plasma rifle (why?).
Sparky wrote:But I had to "manually" enter the values for the KOTH marker, based upon the center point being the overshield. I like it this way, since you have to guard three areas rather than just one single area. I like just one hill also, it's no big deal in my mind.
OK, that's fine.
Sparky wrote: Working on finishing fixing up the scnr tag to let it work right with multiplayer -- I'm talking about Rejuvenation B30. Red team starts at original starting location and goes to get blue flag at the security station. Blue team starts on the other side of the island and goes to get the red flag at the map room. It's really coop and I'll be adding AI in vehicles at key locations, but for now, it's just the original AI and it can work well as a solo map too or something like that.

Combining the BSPs worked fine, no problems besides the underwater fog permeating the entire level. If you want to use this as a template, you can null the water if you use the indoor environment only, or leave it if you use the outdoor environment only. Or play it as-is, whatever, it's cool. I have to go now... I've been up all night and I have to be somewhere. >.>
I think a Shaft kind of map should still be included since the whole b30 in my opinion is too big. Taxi made a shaft kind of map as well that's unprotected and that we may want to use instead, but we'll need to make some adjustments to it if we use it. It will also need to be fixed (or remade) too though. As it is currently, it's broken. Taxi, post a link of it here?

Is it possible to fix Crossing by "remaking" it? The only thing wrong with it that I remember is that console commands like sv_map stop functioning.

I think Outpost actually looks like a nice map if we remove the lightmaps making the level dark - like Moxus said, Halo wasn't really made to have maps in pitch darkness, and my graphics card on one of my Macs really doesn't like those lightmaps ;P (black glitches looking at ceilings/walls). Maybe Moxus can chip in.

On second thought about Depot, I think the map is not ready as-is even if it was fixed. The invisible barriers is really confusing and the general layout of the map is confusing.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Wed May 23, 2012 6:38 pm

Shaft has invisible barriers also which make it somewhat odd since the player should be able to walk off the platforms in all areas, not just in a small, hidden gap within the invisible walls.

I'd like to remove the fog from the b30 remake I did so that it can be used with Shaft. Nobody really goes underwater anyway in the beach area.

I'd post screenshots but i'm on the windows vista partition now. Imagine the b30 map without any AI and with most of the vehicles that you see during that campaign level showing up where they start in the map, and that's pretty much what I've got right now as multiplayer. I'd like to change the "equipment" and "weapons" in the map to "netgame equipment" so that they respawn and so that you can restart the map and have them come back again.

I think I figured out the issues I was having and I should be able to get the AI to work alright. I had to adjust the matg globals tag (globals.globals) to include the vehicles that b30 has (I removed the falling box cinematic vehicles) and I also had to include a cyborg_mp biped within the biped palette in the scenario tag. I think those are the only things I forgot to do when I initially switched it from solo to multiplayer. We'll see what happens with the AI, and since it doesn't synchronize anyway, I'll probably just add lots of AI in turrets on the cliffs and stuff.

Did I mention that the skybox is larger now and you can fly underneath the map? ;)

Have any ideas for how to make this more into a coop campaign experience? Maybe I should make the enemies 4x as hard since there would be up to 16 players fighting against them at once!