HaloMD

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Re: HaloMD

Post by TaxiService » Sun May 27, 2012 8:48 pm

Sparky: I am not sure how exactly, but i am certain that there's a way to make the player at least face the right direction when exiting a teleporter. You have to play with the rotation of both the entrance flag and the exit flag.
I don't exactly remember which one of the two you have to rotate (if not both), but if you rotate them in the right way, you'll have your players come out right.

Wait, i'll look into it right now and post the results.

EDIT: yeah, uh, I wasn't able to obtain the effect i wanted. :-\ I think i've once been able to make the players' inertia be transferred in the direction i wanted by rotating the tp flags in a certain way... (but maybe i am getting confused between halo and halo3 <⁔<) All i've been able to do was make them face the right direction, but Sparky already did that.
I've got a scen version of bloodgulch's base teleporters. Placing those around the tp flags would direct the player in the right direction. Consider if you want to use 'em.
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon May 28, 2012 1:30 am

Sparky wrote:Nice ideas, but there's no point in making an easter egg to go outside when you already are familiar with the way to get outside. All the game's events would be in a single area, so even though you would be able to explore outside, there wouldn't be any point in doing so. But anyway, you know that since I have this level's bsp in 3ds max I can modify it, right? It does take quite some time to export, but I could easily cut in some forerunner-style tunnels to connect various areas... it could be like our own version of Death Island, but with AI in vehicle turrets (synchronized and avoidable, more like animated scenery like you were saying) and otherwise more like the campaign map.
The reason death island is one of the maps I'm considering replacing (along with infinity, boarding action, chiron) are because I generally don't think they are that great of multiplayer maps, which is likely to make me not favor similar maps like The Island, unless I'm goofing around. I've my doubts about AI's, we wouldn't want them to cause unnecessary lag. Still, though, I'd like to see the map develop.

Crossing: Looks mostly fine. However, I don't think there are any ghosts on the bottom in the original map playing on, say standard CTF, at least. It's a small area, having 6 ghosts there is an obvious indicator something is wrong.

Also, the surface texture when walking down to the bottom via the ramp looks obviously wrong / not matching. The banshee thing is an easter egg, not a big concern. I don't remember how to get to it in the original version, it was quite strange.

Haven't played to see how the energy sword works. It looks fine, but if it does a "lunge" kind of thing when an enemy is around like in Halo2, then it needs to be replaced. Moxus is welcome to change the sword to something more Halo 1 like. I remember Taxi said he had a Halo 1 energy sword model too.

Regarding Barrier, does that mean the teleporters aren't aligned correctly with the map then?
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Mon May 28, 2012 2:56 am

Personally, i like the large chaotic games that are played on big maps, although death island's bsp is indeed quite shitty. :-\ If i had HEK and 3DSmax (i'm planning on getting both) I'd edit the original b30_a bsp to make it fair for two teams to play on it.

Anyhow, I'll check if the sword is the same one featured in the original crossing, although i am sure sparky did import it from there. >_>
I'll add the custom FP model too and make the ghosts not spawn by default in CTF. Gonna either post again or edit this post with the map as soon as i'm done.
MGM Sig

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon May 28, 2012 9:21 am

I think if you play through the maps, most of your questions about them will be answered. Rejuvenation b30 will be intentionally superior to death island. Again, just wait to play it before commenting upon stuff like the AI.

The sword does lunge, but you could always null out those references and import the 3p model from halo 1 to use if you like it better than the 3p model of what is in the map now.

The textures for the bases in Crossing are the original ones. If they look different, then that's because Moxus would have done some bitmap editing... but from what I've seen, that doesn't look like the situation. They should appear the same as his demo version.

There are 6 ghosts in CTF with the demo version of Crossing. There are 2 ghosts in Slayer mode, but I don't remember if I was able to get those two ghosts to show up in that mode. Everything is set so they would show up, but Moxus was swapping in other vehicles there, too, so as it is now still is basically how it was in Moxus' map.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon May 28, 2012 9:31 am

TaxiService wrote:Personally, i like the large chaotic games that are played on big maps, although death island's bsp is indeed quite shitty. :-\ If i had HEK and 3DSmax (i'm planning on getting both) I'd edit the original b30_a bsp to make it fair for two teams to play on it.
I think sidewinder, danger canyon, timberland, ice fields, (and to some extent gephyrophobia) are much better maps. It's hard to explain, but they allow pathways for both foot and vehicles, have a good emphasis being on foot, and don't have a huge reliance with vehicles (in fact, I think if you're inclined to use scorpions and banshees, there's something probably wrong). If anything, Gephyrophobia is an example that does banshees correctly.

@Sparky. I tested the demo version and your version. From what I could tell, the surface textures were indeed different. Strange though, the ghosts didn't show up when converting the original version, but you convinced me that map probably does have ghosts. I think it was intended for one ghost per side though.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Amy
Green Beret

Post by Amy » Mon May 28, 2012 5:30 pm

The sword in crossing didn't have lunge....It just had a high melee. I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure it was just a modified weapon to have only melee.
MGM Sig
Mota-Lev wrote:Its like watching an Asian girl crush a cats brain through its eye socket with high heels.. Its horrible but I just can't look away :/.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon May 28, 2012 7:12 pm

Gephyrophobia resembles b40.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon May 28, 2012 8:28 pm

@Amy: The sword in original Crossing uses the plasma rifle model and is melee only.

I've been working on adding 3rd party mod support to HaloMD and it's working pretty well. I will elaborate on details later, but basically mods are put in the maps folder Custom Edition style (eg: a mod is sandpit.map). The name inside the file in the header has to also be renamed (eg, to sandpit). Gephyrobia is being used for swapping mods, and the swapping is done in the executable rather than swapping disk files. This allows Halo to report what mod is being played through the lobby. HDM is being integrated to determine what map file (internal name) is what map (humanized name). When a client joins the game, he will be prompted to download the mod the game is playing.

Here's a screenshot (Bloodgulch Extreme is the humanized name, bloodextrme_6 is the filename & internal map name).

[EDIT]:
For Crossing, the version Sparky converted. Here is a screenshot of the "different awkward un-matching surfaces":

Also, if you use a ghost, there is a HUD ghost element on top left of the screen, which is non-standard and I've never seen that before. That should be removed too.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Tue May 29, 2012 6:17 am

>he used the sp ghost

aaaahahahahahaha

sorry sparky i couldn't contain myself

i don't know why i laughed

nil: that's awesome. Btw i'm about to do the changes to the map. They will be:
- importing crossing's original sword.
- importing sword's fp sword model, from "elites in bloodgulch".
- import the mp version of the vehicles and swap them with the existing ones.
- make the ghosts not spawn by default in CTF

modding now

EDIT: i am sorry for the struckthrough part of the post. I wasn't lucid while composing it.
Last edited by TaxiService on Tue May 29, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MGM Sig

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Tue May 29, 2012 7:49 am

Double posting, i know. My bad.

Here is the map. Modifications:
- imported multuplayer versions of vehicles and put them in place of the sp ones
- imported original crossing's energy sword, swapped it with the CE one
- imported sword's FP energy sword model, swapped it with the PR one
- applied swordh2's wphi to original sword.
- removed all ghosts from spawning by default in all gametypes
- rotated the two central ghosts to better align with the bridge
- swapped "hanger_wall"'s original shader to the one moxus used

and that's it. If you want me to let some ghosts spawn by default in a specific gametype, let me know.
MGM Sig

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Tue May 29, 2012 10:43 am

I did what I did purposely. I didn't make mistakes. If you don't like it, I can change it, or you can use what Taxi did here. If you use what Taxi did, then I would use that also as the CE version.

Taxi, the shade, banshee and ghost were all the singleplayer vehicles. The shade in its SP and MP versions is indestructible. The SP banshee and ghost are.

nil, thanks for the screenshot. There were some funky things done with the shader references, and in this case, Moxus might have switched the bitmap reference in the metal panels unearthed senv tag, rather than swapping that senv with another senv in the scen tag. What you see there would be a simple swap of senv references within the base1 scen tag. Simply select the metal panels unearthed reference and swap in the metal flat generic (I think) in the base1 scen tag.

Also, I'm thinking that bridge looks like "turd". Shouldn't we make it look better? I can improve the bridge easily, if you don't mind.

Why shouldn't we develop an improved version of our mods for use with HaloMD, which is basically a community-produced demo of Halo Full? It would be better to make the mods look really nice rather than to leave them how they were when they were modded with older versions of our current tools. After all, you didn't want Crossing to have a borked console and that's the entire reason why I've volunteered to help fix up these maps. And it just so happens that I have the opportunity to remake them with the HEK tools also.

If you don't like using the energy sword from CE that I used, then why are we using Crossing which is a scen-based map consisting of CE scen tags? It's best not to be hypocritical here. But if it's a matter of preference where you don't LIKE the halo 2 energy sword with lunge better than the halo 1 energy sword, that would be fine.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Tue May 29, 2012 11:54 am

Sparky wrote:I did what I did purposely. I didn't make mistakes. If you don't like it, I can change it, or you can use what Taxi did here. If you use what Taxi did, then I would use that also as the CE version.

Taxi, the shade, banshee and ghost were all the singleplayer vehicles. The shade in its SP and MP versions is indestructible. The SP banshee and ghost are.
I like Taxi's changes. Multiplayer vehicles should be used in Multiplayer maps. Banshees and ghosts should be indestructible, like expected. Maybe we should still add one ghost per side. Even though Moxus may have intended three ghosts per side, I think that's too many.
Sparky wrote: Also, I'm thinking that bridge looks like "turd". Shouldn't we make it look better? I can improve the bridge easily, if you don't mind.
I agree with this.
Sparky wrote: Why shouldn't we develop an improved version of our mods for use with HaloMD, which is basically a community-produced demo of Halo Full? It would be better to make the mods look really nice rather than to leave them how they were when they were modded with older versions of our current tools. After all, you didn't want Crossing to have a borked console and that's the entire reason why I've volunteered to help fix up these maps. And it just so happens that I have the opportunity to remake them with the HEK tools also.
I'm all for improving the mods, you've been doing a good job on the remakes. If I wasn't for improving the mods, we wouldn't have fixed issues in Barrier. I also want to make the best map design decisions possible.
Sparky wrote: If you don't like using the energy sword from CE that I used, then why are we using Crossing which is a scen-based map consisting of CE scen tags? It's best not to be hypocritical here. But if it's a matter of preference where you don't LIKE the halo 2 energy sword with lunge better than the halo 1 energy sword, that would be fine.
I didn't say anything about not liking CE content. I don't think Halo 2's energy sword mechanic fits into Halo 1's gameplay. I want this to still be Halo 1.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Tue May 29, 2012 12:53 pm

Yeah, i am really sorry sparky. I didn't mean to mock you or anything. I don't know what i meant to say, actually. I just found funny that you used sp vehicles for some reason. :(

And, actually, using SP shade turrets would be interesting. MP turrets are almost unmovable, while SP turrets are very light (it's because of their different phys, i believe) and able to be blown away by an explosion. Using SP turrets would allow people to ‘clear’ the area from turrets with a carefully lodged grenade, allowing for interesting game tactics and such.
...I don't know, we should probably ask moxus what does he think about this.

Anyhow, i was trying to look into the bridge's shader turdiness too, but when i tried modifying the detail level nothing seemed to happen. Surely I didn't do something right... If you could make the bridge more detailed that would be pretty neat, i think. :)
MGM Sig

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Tue May 29, 2012 12:55 pm

I reallly should have tested this before. But unfortunately, the console is still broken in the remade version of Crossing..

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Tue May 29, 2012 6:20 pm

Try the updated version here: http://www.halodemomods.com/mediawiki/i ... halomd.zip
It uses SP vehicles still, because I think it makes it more fun to be able to destroy the vehicles. And it still has the H2 energy sword. Taxi, you can change these things if you want.
I redid the icefields bridge and the infinity bases, as you can see in the screenshot below. I also moved the invisible wall to allow access to the banshees by falling over the side of the edges in the middle area behind each base.