Night Vision - is it possible?

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

a bullet

Night Vision - is it possible?

Post by a bullet » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:37 pm

I've been hunting through a few similar topics on somehow connecting the flashlight in Halo: CE to a nightvision effect which would be most useful in darker maps, and applied to all weapons. Although the majority of those who have tried have had little success, some have done so through scripting like these two. I'll ask them separately for help.

This is as far as I've gotten; just swapping the zoom mask with the spartan hud overlay to get a full screen effect and nulling out the excess bitmaps. It gives a nice effect but only works when zoomed. I tried unchecking all or a combination of boxes in eschaton which say 'only when zoomed' but nothing changes, or I get a blinding green block sucking up my entire computer monitor. Does anyone else have any ideas on this? I have been and will keep toying around with the screen effect tab in eschaton. If I can get this to work I would just duplicate the sniper rifle wphi and change the reticles and ammo meters.

The reticle and ammo meters are blue rather than yellow because the wphi was unedited as the sniper rifle wasn't meant to be in the map. This shot was also zoomed, and I'm trying to get the effect to not require zoom.

Also just through a quick search I see there are a lot of similar topics. ,_,
Whenever I see Nuthead's avatar all I can see is a sad, abandoned cigarette butt that is forced to spend the holidays all alone in the cold.

Sparky
Delta Force

Re: Night Vision - is it possible?

Post by Sparky » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:52 pm

I'll see what way I think works the best to do this and I'll get back to you.

If you're using Sparky's Plugins, then the bitmask flags and such will be effective; I'm not sure what issues other plugins have. This does require more than just unchecking the zoom-only bitmask, so that's why I'll investigate.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:14 pm

After messing around with this and considering options, here are the available options:

A. Tweak a jpt! value screen effect so that it effectively gives you nightvision when you use your flashlight (the flashlight would trigger an effe which damages the player, applying the screen effect from the damage tag). See the MGM Weaponry Collaboration mod for ideas if you like. The problem with this is that you wouldn't be able to turn it off... although I do recall being able to overcome the effect by using the flashlight or by some other means that I have since forgotten.
B. You can do what you have been doing and have the background scope bitmaps be a different bitmap that has a black mask applied to it. You would need to use a rather large bitmap image, like 640x480 or something like that. Maybe modify the "ui\shell\bitmaps\trouble_brewing" bitmap to have just a black image and a black mask. That should do the trick... probably. The problem with this is that you still need to have a zoom in order to use the nightvision.
You already did something like this. The problem is that the Screen Effect is a special section of the wphi tag type and I don't see anything that -- without a great deal of effort (BUT YES IT IS POSSIBLE) -- you could do to get a similar effect in the hudg or unhi tags. But those would be the main experiments... if all the other options I suggest here do not work for you properly.
C. You could have an effe linked to the cyborg flashlight (in the bipd tag) which chainspawns something similar to a teleporter scenery model with its green glow in front of the player, so they look through it and what they see is lit up. Something like this:

where you have the teleporter shield model spawning with a garb tag in front of the player's view. Of course the ideal setup here would be just a new biped model that has this built into the model as a special shader, where it shows up when you toggle the flashlight. It could even be one-sided so it's only visible from the player's side of it. And if you just want it to work with a certain weapon, like having a Nightvision weapon, then you could try just swapping the fp model (ugh, nasty business) of the weapon you would like to turn into a nightvision wall.

D. There is some fancy-shmancy non-script-related tricks you could do involving the biped using the functions along with damage effects using jpt! and effe tags. But again this is less simple than just toggling off the zoom only bitmask flag.

Have you tried nulling out the flashlight attachment in the biped tag and trying again? Or messing around with the C in function in the biped tag?
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

a bullet

Post by a bullet » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:20 am

Sparky wrote: Tweak a jpt! value screen effect so that it effectively gives you nightvision when you use your flashlight (the flashlight would trigger an effe which damages the player, applying the screen effect from the damage tag).
Tried that and it works absolutely wonderfully. I changed the screen flash color to a slightly darker but still bright green and put it's duration to only about 0.5 seconds that way it quickly fades away after you turn off your flashlight. With an intensity of about 0.095 having your flashlight on continuously plays the effect (I used the frag grenade explosion, but nulled out all the particles and junk) so it works just like a flashlight but brightens up dark spots with a green tint but doesn't completely blind you.

Thanks for your input!
Whenever I see Nuthead's avatar all I can see is a sad, abandoned cigarette butt that is forced to spend the holidays all alone in the cold.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:26 pm

Did you test it to see if it affects players nearby? Maybe set the distance to 0.01. You can test this yourself by hosting a game then using different port numbers on a duplicate of the Halo Demo application and joining your own game. You would have the two players stand next to each other, one with the flashlight on.

Also, doesn't this constantly ping your shields? You can modify the shields of the bipd by messing around with the function that links the damage to the shield appearance and sound effe. This would make it so that the player doesn't glow when they turn on their nightvision.

a bullet

Post by a bullet » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:48 pm

I don't think it pings the shields unless the damage field is over 0. If this was not true than some damage jpt! tags like the frag grenade shock wave would have players' shields glow when the jpt! tag only shakes their camera. Also I set the range to 0 so it only affects the player.