Blam! Developer Communities Network

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Sparky
Delta Force

links to additional tools

Post by Sparky » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:53 pm

this is for my own reference:

http://www.monstrmoose.com/MMrepository/tools.html - tools for a number of halo games (research this for Zeus)

http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthre ... ping-Guide - basic tutorial info, still useful to me perhaps
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Sparky
Delta Force

Re: HDM

Post by Sparky » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:10 am

I'm going to investigate the issues surrounding the attachment system and will determine if such a system is worthwhile to continue using.

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING BLUE TEXT

I'd like to redo the Mod Database page after all the listed mods have been parsed onto separate pages by making it a template which takes all the pages from the Halo Demo Mods category and parses their information onto that one page or a sortable table on the page. I'd like to do this without necessitating any changes to HDemoLauncher's code, to avoid giving nil more work. This would mean that a separate Halo Full Mod Database page would be readily available, and by extension also a Halo Custom Edition maps page. This would more seamlessly integrate the Halo CE, Halo Full, and Halo Demo/Trial communities, so that their mods could be published in three formats (Halo Custom Edition, Halo Full, and Halo Demo/Trial) on each mod's page.

So you would see on the "Agoraphobia" mod page three links at the bottom: a link for the Custom Edition map, a link for the Full map, and a link for the Demo/Trial map. These would be generated by the mod author who would use Pearl 2.0 to make the different map files.

If it comes down to it, nil might decide to make a "HaloLauncher" application which would work as a front-end to install Halo Custom Edition, Halo Full, Halo Trial, or Halo Demo maps into the appropriate folders.
However, there are other plans for relocating the maps folder like HaloMD does... and this all would probably be unnecessary IF we ever get to modify the source code.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Sparky
Delta Force

Domain

Post by Sparky » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:49 pm

Question: Would you like me to continue spending money on HaloDemoMods.com for its domain registration and hosting service?

This is one of the only money-related things I have started that does not generate enough revenue to pay its own expenses. There is not (yet) a business, nor is there any donations or whatever money being given to the site in order for it to continue apart from what money I spend on it.

So I ask you now, is this hosting service worth continuing, or should I pursue the business aspects of it in order to generate revenue that would be used to upgrade the hosting package? This business would be an LLC that would pursue licenses of the game source code and work cooperatively with companies like MacSoft and Bungie. This was in the plans, so I ask whether you would like me to pursue this now or later.

Or should I just say "whatever" and delete HDM and cancel the hosting plan and forget about it?

Vote Here: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=18238

Noodle
Delta Force

Post by Noodle » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:41 am

Webmail or the site itself doesn't appear to be loading- is there something up? I've only sort of been following the decision on HDM but I would like the webmail service up for another week or so, I'm in the process of getting employed and I need an email for that.

Thanks.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:29 pm

It is back up. I was fiddling with the domain URL pointers. I shouldn't need to do that for a while now, probably a few days. I can hold off for a few weeks also, or at least have it so it's still functional. October is something of a deadline for me. I'll leave it alone for you.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:43 pm

Noodle wrote:Webmail or the site itself doesn't appear to be loading- is there something up? I've only sort of been following the decision on HDM but I would like the webmail service up for another week or so, I'm in the process of getting employed and I need an email for that.

Thanks.
If I were you, I wouldn't recommend using HDM email for anything serious.. or anything unrelated to Halo/online things..
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

Noodle
Delta Force

Post by Noodle » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:27 am

nil wrote:
Noodle wrote:Webmail or the site itself doesn't appear to be loading- is there something up? I've only sort of been following the decision on HDM but I would like the webmail service up for another week or so, I'm in the process of getting employed and I need an email for that.

Thanks.
If I were you, I wouldn't recommend using HDM email for anything serious.. or anything unrelated to Halo/online things..
That's why it's temporary, I'm switching to a gmail account.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:58 pm

There is a fractals category now.

One such image:

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:05 pm

I'm migrating HDM to the BDCN server.

zªCh

Post by zªCh » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:49 pm

THE SITE IS GONE??!!!!
i was going to post some usefull information(ive been learning more)
one of the eschaton flags is a lie

if you check the flag "melee attack is fatal" for any biped thy will lose te ability too melee(strange glitch happens instead)
and there dieing animation gets f***** up

but back to before WHY IS THE SITE GONE
-zªCh-
I remember thinking that halo would be the one thing that would never update past my mac.....then came HaloMD
now i have 3 versions of combat evolved on my mac...weird stuff.. now if only they made a ppc mac version of custom edition

Sparky
Delta Force

Re: Blam! Developer Communities Network

Post by Sparky » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:36 am

---- Conversations hereafter regard the Blam! Developer Communities Network and the improved plan for Halo Demo Mods. ----

kiddten
Commando

Post by kiddten » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:33 pm

Sparky wrote: - Modders and map makers will, if desired, be able to sell their maps and mods to players for $1 as a donation
yes I see it says donation at the end but how you've worded the rest makes it sound like it's mandatory to pay a dollar. if so, that's really really dumb.
kiddten, on most things nowadays wrote:no
TaxiService wrote:HERE IS THE GODDAMN WALDO YOU CHEATING DICK
๖ۣۜĐeяP wrote:U MOTHER FUCKER AND U FUCKING PARENTS AND FUCKED OFF ASS HOLES

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:49 pm

Think of it as such:

Modder (or a collaborative team) uploads their mod or map file and is presented with the question "Would you like to request a $1 donation?" [Yes | No]
Players who download that map will then have an opportunity to donate $1 to the author(s) of the mod / map. Whoever is listed as a recipient of the donation would receive a cut of that dollar donation. So the player could either donate more to the authors of the map or they could leave it at $1. They would not need to buy the map in order to use it, though.
Some folks might not want or be able to receive any donations at all, so they simply say No to that option.

Accessible from the download page should be space for
a rating in stars and
a comment field. Suggestions?

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:57 pm

The HaloDemoMods.com wiki has been successfully migrated to the BlamDevCom.net server. Let me know if you find any dead links, or just go in there and fix them yourself.

I decided to revise quite a few things.

First of all, if you visit "halodemomods.com", then you will be redirected to "http://www.halodemomods.com"; if you visit "www.halodemomods.com", you won't be redirected. This is to force the usage of "www." in the main domain URL so that the wiki login sessions are not broken. Up until a few minutes ago, if you were to visit "halodemomods.com" and log into the wiki, you would not be logged into the wiki by using the URL "www.halodemomods.com". So now it forces you to view the site as "www.halodemomods.com" and redirects "halodemomods.com" to "www.halodemomods.com".

Secondly, Zeus should be able to handle bitmaps.map file uploads now, or in the very near future. There was an Apache mod server issue that was preventing that particular type of file from uploading. I'm presently checking it and if it doesn't work, it will be fixed within a couple hours.

Thirdly, I am not using so many subdomains. If you want to access HDM e-mail, use http://www.halodemomods.com/webmail . If you want to access the Mod Database (and the Mod Database is going to be "deprecated" within a few weeks as I revise the uses of the HDM wiki according to the bigger strategy), use the sidebar link on the wiki page or search for "Mod Database" ;) .

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:01 am

E-mail:
If you still want an e-mail address @halodemomods.com or @whatever_halo_community_site_is_affiliated_with_blamdevcom.net_including_BDCN, then send me a private message and I will PM you your new login and password. All former e-mail accounts have new passwords, so tehpillar and others will need to talk to me if they want to keep using the e-mail service. You can also send me a message using my e-mail address, sparky@halodemomods.com.

To connect to the webmail using the web site, you can use any affiliated domain URL followed by "/webmail":
- http://www.halodemomods.com/webmail
- http://www.blamdevcom.net/webmail

Your login there for your username would be username@domain.name and your password would be what I sent you. I don't think you will be able to change your password unless you tell me what you want to change it to and it is considered "secure enough" by the e-mail tools.

To connect to the webmail using a mail client, use this information:
IMAP connection
Mail Server Username: user+halodemomods.com (example: sparky+halodemomods.com)
Incoming Mail Server: mail.halodemomods.com -- Port 143, No SSL, Password Authentication
Password: whatever_i_told_you_in_reply_to_your_PM_here_on_MGM
Outgoing Mail Server: mail.halodemomods.com -- Port 2525, No SSL, Password Authentication, SMTP server
Outgoing Mail Server details: same username and password as the "Mail Server Username" above.

If it asks you if you want to change the path prefix when you send an e-mail for the first time, say no, "don't change". I don't know what would happen either way, but declining this on the first attempt still sent the message through and worked fine. If you tell it to change the path prefix, let me know what happens.