3D Ripper DX

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Awesomeness?

Poll ended at Tue May 08, 2012 7:27 pm

Yeah now we can import stuff from other games easily
100%
No, it's lame
No votes

Total votes: 3

Sparky
Delta Force

3D Ripper DX

Post by Sparky » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:27 pm

I've been experimenting with 3D Ripper DX. It works really well, and I've been able to extract entire game scenarios with models and textures while playing games like Star Wars: The Old Republic, Halo 2, Dear Esther, and a number of other games. I recommend it mostly for Windows Vista rather than XP... unless I had an issue with the settings, but I don't think UAC is available on Windows XP, so I'm just going to say that the global monitoring feature doesn't work on XP at all.

What it does is it intercepts the DirectX stream and converts the data to a 3ds Max-importable file which you can then use to export into .obj or manipulate into Halo tag data using the HEK tools. 3D Ripper DX also exports directly into .obj, but the field of view becomes an issue along with the textures and UVW stuff, so I much prefer its proprietary 3DR format and it comes with an installer which works with versions of 3ds Max up to 2011. So what I plan to do is rip some Halo 2 scenarios and models and the like and import them into Halo 1. This will work with any other game that uses DirectX as its renderer also. (I'm installing Skyrim onto this Vista partition to see how well it works here.) I'm most impressed with the ability to immediately extract all the bitmap data loaded by the game, though. This is undoubtedly the fastest and easiest way of exporting bitmap images from any DirectX-based game.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Re: 3D Ripper DX

Post by TaxiService » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:25 pm

Boy, this sure sounds interesting. 0_0 Whoever thought of this had a brilliant idea.
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:03 pm

I'm going to install 3ds Max on my Vista partition (I should be able to do that) and convert Lockout to Halo 1. It's my favorite multiplayer map for Halo 2.

I'll also release the Skyrim logo as a scen tag -- that's the 3d logo that is in the main menu screen with the mist rising from the bottom of the screen.

There is a slight difficulty in converting these things that need to follow the sealed world rules, so Lockout will take a bit of effort but it still looks rather nice. I'll try to download a freeware screenshot app for Vista so I can take a picture of it without needing to boot it up in VMWare Fusion.... maybe.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:37 pm

Vista has a capture thing I think.
Yarok wrote:There may be a giant dildo protruding from your forehead.

Sparky
Delta Force

3D Ripper DX .3DR plugin

Post by Sparky » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:25 pm

I uploaded the 3DR plugin that is installed with compatible versions of 3ds Max. It should work fine with newer versions also, just do the following:
Sparky wrote:When you install 3d Ripper DX with an "unsupported" version of 3ds Max, just unzip this inside your 3ds Max "plugins" folder inside the application folder and you're all set to import 3DR filetypes.
Download the 3DR plugin for 3ds Max from the HDM wiki page

EDIT: well i guess that strategy doesn't work. anyone know a program that can edit .dli files?

TheRipper

Post by TheRipper » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:50 am

Hi Guys,
i know this is a old post but i just tried to rip some stuff from Star Wars - The old republic and i just cant get it to work.

Since there is a launcher that prevents one from hooking the exe directly i tried the global system monitoring option on windows xp 32bit but the capture is not working i don't even see the capture text showing up.

So im really really great full for any help.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:07 am

Sparky wrote:I recommend it mostly for Windows Vista rather than XP... unless I had an issue with the settings, but I don't think UAC is available on Windows XP, so I'm just going to say that the global monitoring feature doesn't work on XP at all.
I already tried ripping from that application and was successful, but I decided that the assets were merely educational in interest to me; none of it would be properly usable. It would be superior and far less effort overall to simply use the models as references for newly modeling them in a modeling program, Blender, 3ds Max, Wings3d, whatever.

My suggestion is to use what you see in the game as a visual reference for "remaking" the models in a modeling program.

Also, you'll need to download one of the supported versions of 3ds Max or 3ds Max Design. The only remaining available supported option for use with the 3dr import plugin is 2011.

TheRipper

Post by TheRipper » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:09 am

Thanks for the help,
now i just need to find a vista 32bit, a machine to install it, download the client again,....., maybe later.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:19 pm

A lot of time and little value.