HaloMD

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

ItsMeAustin

Re: HaloMD

Post by ItsMeAustin » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:52 pm

nil wrote:haz: can you paste a description of the exact error, verbatim, or (better yet) a screenshot?

austin: what dev commands are you using to load b30?
Nevermind, I just replaced the map file and now it works fine.

ItsMeAustin

Post by ItsMeAustin » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:37 pm

I have a problem, whenever I try to start MD it fades to black as it should but then it stops loading and simply exits back to the desktop. I've tried deleting and reinstalling the game but that doesn't work. Is there something wrong I'm doing?

chaset49884

Post by chaset49884 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:43 pm

why only one caimpain level? ----) this pissed me of so much i was asking every one how to get by that cutcene and no one new how if u skiped the cutcene u would be stuck in the airship forever and if u didnt u would be stuck in complete darkness!

ItsMeAustin

Post by ItsMeAustin » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:40 pm

chaset49884 wrote:why only one caimpain level? ----) this pissed me of so much i was asking every one how to get by that cutcene and no one new how if u skiped the cutcene u would be stuck in the airship forever and if u didnt u would be stuck in complete darkness!
HaloMD is based off the Halo Demo, you need to buy Halo on Xbox or PC to get the full experience.

ItsMeAustin

Post by ItsMeAustin » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:55 am

ItsMeAustin wrote:I have a problem, whenever I try to start MD it fades to black as it should but then it stops loading and simply exits back to the desktop. I've tried deleting and reinstalling the game but that doesn't work. Is there something wrong I'm doing?
Don't mind this anymore I deleted all files relating to MD, redownloaded the game and it works again.

libertas

Post by libertas » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:41 pm

ItsMeAustin wrote:
chaset49884 wrote:why only one caimpain level? ----) this pissed me of so much i was asking every one how to get by that cutcene and no one new how if u skiped the cutcene u would be stuck in the airship forever and if u didnt u would be stuck in complete darkness!
HaloMD is based off the Halo Demo, you need to buy Halo on Xbox or PC to get the full experience.
Can you explain this further? I have been desperately trying to figure out how to play the full campaign of Halo on MD, and can't find a clear direction. If I had a xbox copy of Halo, would this really be all I need?

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:27 pm

libertas wrote:
ItsMeAustin wrote:
Can you explain this further? I have been desperately trying to figure out how to play the full campaign of Halo on MD, and can't find a clear direction. If I had a xbox copy of Halo, would this really be all I need?
I'm really not sure about the xbox version. But if you have the full PC version, you can transfer the retail maps from that installation into MD's Mods folder (if you go to Mods -> Reveal Mods in Finder from the menu bar). Then you just have to restart Halo and the HaloMD application.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:17 pm

I've uploaded a new version (1.0.1; build 1092) of MD here which contains some security and chat room fixes. This will be distributed to the masses shortly.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

RojaN

Post by RojaN » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:00 pm

Hello, all this is my first time posting.

First, congratulations on Halo MD. Wow. How did you pull this off? I can't seem to find a "Story of how we did it" anywhere. How were you able to redo Halo without the source code?

Second, for those interested, I have the old Mac version from way back (I would love to play the primordial pre-MicroSoft MacWorld demo build!!) as well as the Universal Binary from semi-way back. Moving the map files from there to HaloMD went off without a hitch and I'm well into the full campaign. So if you have the old Mac version, no need to find a PC copy. If you don't have it, it's too rare and pricey to hunt down at this point, so the PC version is your best bet in that case.

My Mac is a somewhat long-in-the-tooth Mac Pro 3,1 (2x3Ghz quad-core Xeon), with 8GB RAM running Yosemite 10.10.5, with a Radeon HD 5770 (1GB).

HaloMD real smooth with everything on (combat can lose some frames and there's an occasional freeze of about a half second, maybe once every 20 minutes or so). I'm running with FSAA 9x (?!?!) and advanced shaders with detail checked. This creates some glitches like little boxes on the ground that chase NPC's and vehicles, as well as stripes on the ocean in Silent Cartographer. Still looks so good that I prefer it, but if I go to vertex shaders, no pixel shaders, the glitches go away. I imagine my Radeon is too old to do the advanced stuff glitch-free.

Anyhow, hats off, and thank you. No more slo-mo!

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:33 pm

RojaN wrote:Hello, all this is my first time posting.

First, congratulations on Halo MD. Wow. How did you pull this off? I can't seem to find a "Story of how we did it" anywhere. How were you able to redo Halo without the source code?
Hey. I guess this thread and this earlier one is our "story." We didn't "redo" Halo; we just extended its capabilities, fixed some critical bugs on modern machines, and made some improvements. Without the source code, we had to rely on a lot of reverse engineering.

We made at least one graphical bug fix with regards to shaders. Anti-aliasing (FSAA) takes a lot of processing power, so yeah, might be first thing to turn down if your game is being sluggish.
RojaN wrote:Anyhow, hats off, and thank you. No more slo-mo!
Slow-mo is a bug we fixed "accidentally" - I'm not even sure why it happens. The only reason we avoid it is due to how we launch Halo, which apparently has some kind of other side effect..

SeekTruth

Post by SeekTruth » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:59 pm

Any possibility of using HaloMD on Ubuntu? (not as a server, just normal game play) (Natively preferably)

I have it on my macbook, but it's a little run down, and my best desktop computer now runs Ubuntu.

Thank you.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:24 pm

SeekTruth wrote:Any possibility of using HaloMD on Ubuntu? (not as a server, just normal game play) (Natively preferably)

I have it on my macbook, but it's a little run down, and my best desktop computer now runs Ubuntu.

Thank you.
The closest thing would be to try running the PC version of Halo through Wine. The retail PC version of combat evolved can join most MD games provided it is patched to the latest version, and that you install the mods to the games you want to join.

Dominoussan

Post by Dominoussan » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:55 pm

there is no sound coming from Halo md, but the sound is on

Fonzeh
Ranger
Location: "I didn't just take your mom out to dinner. I ate your mom for dinner."

Post by Fonzeh » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:24 am

RojaN wrote: Second, for those interested, I have the old Mac version from way back (I would love to play the primordial pre-MicroSoft MacWorld demo build!!)

When i started replying I thought you were stating you had the pre microsoft build with dinosaurs and all that lol.

I was like GIVE ME NAO. WILL INSTALL 10.2 TO PLEH.

lol.
G[v]N wrote:HUGE NOTIFICATION
THIS GRAVY HAS BRAINS
Mota-Lev was here 30/4/2010@2:18pm

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:50 pm

I'm posting a candidate release to the next version of MD. It includes fixes to some memory leak & crashes, adds a Preferences option to use an alternate downloading mirror (galaxy verge; useful for those that can't connect to MGM's due to school filters), map list improvements. Once the build becomes official, this may be the last update I push (though keep note that 002 will still be around to push updates).

If you're more technically inclined and would like to save bandwidth, you can download the patch from 1.0.1, clone the MD repo from GitHub, cd into Delta_Distribution, and execute ./run to generate the new build onto your Desktop.