Competition (Saturday)

Special Operations Group

Moderator: Vir2L™

Dawg73

Competition (Saturday)

Post by Dawg73 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:48 pm

Say Fella's and Ladies (?),

I've only started visiting your [SOG]Tactical site in the last couple of weeks. I enjoy the format and the mods... adds some what to more realistic gaming time. Could use a "run like a scare-d-cat" mod for those moments when you're trying to bust out of room to escape a grenade...lol But other than that I have enjoyed playing on your tactical site.... thanks.

My brother and I have set up a small LAN with cable connection for a nice ping. We have several regular friends that come to play about twice a month on Saturday evenings. And to add a bit of spice to our gaming, my brother and I were wondering if we could schedule an occasional impromptu meeting with those interested few/many for some friendly gaming... consider us clan practice. We're not a clan.

Drop me a line... I'll we'll discuss it more.

If you have questions.. please ask
Oh.. I should ask... is this the right place to discuss this too?
Dawg

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:14 am

Hey DAWG, we'd love to set-up a practice "scrim" with another group of people. I'm the scrim coordinator for SOG.

How many people will you have?

Let's work on a date and time, and go from there.

Sounds like fun.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter."

Dawg

Post by Dawg » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:59 pm

Hey Vir2L... glad to hear from you, and thanks.

This Saturday evening is one of our bi-monthly get togethers at my brothers place. We typically have at least 6 to 8 and sometimes 10 or 12. It's kind of a drop-in between 6pm to 8pm; then serious game time from 8pm to 1 or 2 in the morning. We all live in Colorado, so we're on Mountain Standard Time.

Some of our attendees appearance depends on classes and work schedules. So that being said... as far as number of gamers, all I can promise right now is... we're planning on lighting up the LAN this Saturday evening about 6pm MST and play starts as the guys arrive, we'll definitely have 4 by 8pm, and chances are we'll have more - just can't promise based on the casual way we play?

As I said earlier we're not an organized clan of any sort... we just like getting together and e-shooting each other. I personally play alot of Base Assault on the CoDWest and other sites. The other guys like playing COD2 and Raven Shield. Our only familiarity with your site was 2 weeks ago when we showed up to play on SOG... I think you were there? Internet play as a group is relatively new for us... I've been trying to introduce the guys to it gradually... ween them, so to speak, from the local LAN gaming.

We have enough software and capability to load CoDUO, CoD2, Raven Shield and several other FSP games... a lot of software bargains out there right now... lol But I suppose we can discuss that more later?

If it helps... you tell me... we can put on a tag to help distinguish us from you guys for game play?

Oh one other thing I should mention... several of the younger guys are died-in-the-wool Jack-Rabbits... some of us older guys are constantly getting on them for BOUNCING all around the battlefield... needless to say, they are "run-n-gunners". BUT we'll have some discussions with'em about NOT bouncing around like that... but old habits are hard to break, so bare with us. So until we can RE-train them... I hope you guys can forgive them so to speak... between us we can slowly break'em of it or at least for these scrims... lol

And like last time... you may see us shooting (TK'g) each other more than you like... lol ... we're used to having the markers above our heads and without them we tend to be a little more trigger happy... and since it's only us shooting us... we can deal with it... or should I say... we're used to it.. lol

What time-zone do you gents typically play too (Eastern or PST)? We'll see if we can get our guys together and meet you...? What's your format for friendly :) scrims?

Thanks again,
Dawg

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:35 pm

sounds good DAWG

It can be a very casual scrim, nothing to serious..... or we can do it a little more serious....record demo's..... take screenshots of the scoreboard and then post them on the forum here. It's up to you guys.

We'll have anywhere between 4 and 10 people show up from SOG.

You guys don't need to wear a tag, but it might help us out a bit as far as the TK spam we like to throw out there thru the console if we see people TKing each-other. We're more likely to SPAM the rules if we see people we don't know, or don't look affiliated with each-other. But we'll keep that to a minimum since we know its you guys. Just let us know if there is someone on your team that needs a little help.. so to speak. =P

We'll try and stay pretty lax about the other run-n-gun rules, just make sure your guys know that we don't like to play that way.... and have them look over our server rules before hand...... teamwork is the main thing that keeps the rules from being spammed on the server.

Most likely we'll keep the server open for the public, so others might join, unless you want to do something a little more serious, we can lock the server down and just have a game in between us. That'll probably be decided the night of, if the server gets to crazy we can lock it up.

We tend to play between 5-10 p.m. pst... most of our guys are east coast, so they tend to go to sleep a little earlier. But we have a few central, mountain, and west coast, so we can probably keep at least 4 of us till 10pm or so. Might last longer than that since it's a Saturday night.

Dawg

Post by Dawg » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:44 am

Cool!

We'll plan for this Saturday night then - Feb 3.

I'll get the guys to read the SOG rules and mod list so they are familiar with the game play... and I will have the discussion about bunny hopping.

Teaming shouldn't be problem... we're pretty good on kicking each others butts from a teaming perspective when we load our LAN to play against each other... I've just been real curious to see how we'd play together??? So this will be fun... might be comical too... lol

Let's keep it casual and fun... I do know the guys do like seeing their names in lights and comparing their respective scores... we do have our own internal rivalries and match up's here too... so scoring will be a plus.

Whatever maps and games are stock will be fine... speaking of such... does your SOG site have the map packs ready for downloading? We could preload the maps on our machines to speed up the process. Otherwise we may be a bit slow on some of the maps during changes???

I'll plan on dropping into the SOG site on the hour and half-hour as time gets close to give you guys an indication on our status and numbers... (probably starting about 6:30 or 7 pm MST)... we have to make our run to the grocery store for our munchie table and beverages set up first... we do have our priorities... :P

We'd share but the food might be a bit cold by the time it reaches you?

We do have a mix of ladies and gents that play... Rox makes a mean chocolate chip cookie... yum Players will usually switch out later in the evening as some of the late arrivals come in and early risers head to bed... So you'll be playing a mixture of players and not always the same crew. My eleven year old son will be there too... he's the one we all have to watch out for and he's not one of the run-n-gunners... those tend to be the college guys with the console games at home... lol

Look forward to the game...
And thanks again,
Dawg

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:32 am

Here's a link to the maps we have on the server right now:

http://sogspecialoperationsgroup.clanservers.com/uo/

Put these in your uo folder, where the rest of your 3rd party maps/downloads most likely are.

BTW - We play CoD2 and Raven Shield... not so much Raven Shield anymore... not to mention the mac version isn't the same as the PC version. 7 of our guys have CoD2, we have a private 10 slot server modded very similar to our CoD:UO server.

Eikon

Post by Eikon » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:04 pm

Looking forward to meeting you guys, please don't shoot me or my Mum will come after you

sparrow

Post by sparrow » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:47 pm

Hey, just wanted to say that last Saturday was maaaad fun!

Can't wait till the next one.
Waiter, theres a terrorist in my soup.

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:33 pm

Defintily had a good time, I wasn't maaaad like sparrow was tho. =P

Let us know when you want to play again, alot of our guys missed out on some great games, and would like to do it again sometime.

Dawg

Post by Dawg » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:06 pm

Hey guys... sorry I didn't get back to you sooner... job took me out of town earlier than planned.

Yes... we all enjoyed the scrim... even the bunny-hoppers :)

My appologies if the games kind of got out of hand toward the end... more run-n-gun from our end??? Old habbits are hard to break... and the guys are competitive enough to know that we wanted to at least win one match... :roll: even if we had to resort to run-n-gun...

I'll talk with the guys about setting up another round if you guys are interested... do you guys have some medium sized maps that aren't quite so confined? I noticed that the HQ matches in the buildings tended to turn into run-n-gun due to the close quarters nature of the maps? Just a thought???

Thanks again,
Later
Dawg

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:40 am

I agree DAWG. The smaller maps turn into a run-n-gun fest with such a big crowd. Especially on the respawn game-types. I think we're gonna put more SD and RE maps on the next rotation we make, to keep the run-n-gun to a minimum.

We do a new rotation about twice a month, so we'll keep that in mind for next time.

And yes, we'd love to schedule another night. Just let us know.

sparrow

Post by sparrow » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:31 pm

If we get a large game going again we should throw in some Base Assault as well. Get some tank action going. Also, big maps like Berlin are cool. We did play that one last time and you guys won the round Dawg, I remember because Vir2L yelled at me cuz I picked the map.....

:-)

Other large maps that are fun are Kharkov, Kursk, Rhine Valley and Foy. With maps of this size HQ would be fine.
Waiter, theres a terrorist in my soup.

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:33 am

sparrow wrote:I remember because Vir2L yelled at me cuz I picked the map.....
HAHAHA... ya you picked the map that we lost on, good job soldier. :roll:

Dawg73

Post by Dawg73 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:50 am

You mean we won one??? :lol: I think I stopped counting after getting dominated too many times... :wink:

I agree... a HQ game with one of the larger maps might be interesting? But of course I'll have to give beginning tank lessons to our resident rabbits... they won't know what to do with out a Jump Button on the tanks. :D

Dawg

Vir2L™
Ranger

Post by Vir2L™ » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:38 pm

hahaha.... ya you guys definitely won more than one.... maybe two. =P

When's the next time your LAN crew is gonna get back together and play?

A few of our guys are anxious, because we don't fill our server up like that too often.