CSS Projectiles: How To

Moderator: Halo Moderators

«Beast»
Ranger

CSS Projectiles: How To

Post by «Beast» » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:53 pm

Trinity. wrote:And when I'm 90, I'll still be learning how to put in those damn CSS projectiles...
Or how about now? Here's how they are done. And I don't want to hear any complaints about how I let the "noobs" in on the secret. There are no longer any secrets. If we share our knowledge, our community can benefit greatly. That's one thing I've learned from other games. Their modding communities share their findings and that allows for others to expand on their ideas. So here's the tut.

CSS Projectile Changes - «Beast»

------------Enabling CSS Projectiles for a weapon-------------

1. Open bloodgulch.map in HexEdit and change the header to the full version header if you have not already done so.
2. Leave HexEdit open for now. Open bloodgulch.map in HMT.
3. Scroll down to the weap tag. Click on the little triangle to expand the section.
4. For this tutorial, I will use the Sniper Rifle as an example. Highlight weapons\sniper rifle\sniper rifle.
5. In the top right corner of the HMT window, highlight the text in the Meta box. Copy it with ? + C (Apple + C). The text should read 00BE45C4.
6. In the top menu of HMT, go to Window and then to Hex Calculator, or simply hit ? + H (Apple + H). A new window will open.
7. In the very first box of the new window that came up, paste the text we copied earlier with ? + V (Apple + V).
8. In the second box, type 4FC. Now, click the button with the plus symbol.
9. In the box below that, the text BE4AC0 should appear. Copy that text.
10. Leave HMT open, and return back to HexEdit. With the map open, go to Find and then to Go To Address or hit ? + J (Apple + J). In the box that appears, paste the last thing we copied and click Go.
11. This will take you to a new location in the file. Your cursor should now be in front of the text 01000000 6C352A4C. Copy the 6C352A4C.
12. Back to HMT and the Hex Calculator window. In the fourth box down, paste 6C352A4C (what we just copied) and click Swap Endian. Make sure there are no spaces when you paste it in there.
13. Now, 4C13D234 should appear in the box below. Paste this value in the very first box of the Calculator.
14. In the second box, enter 4B6BE68C (the map magic) and click the button with the - sign. BE4EE0 should appear in the third box. Now back to HexEdit.
15. Go To Address again. This time enter BE4EE0 (the last value we got) and click Go.
16. Again, you will be taken to a new location. Your cursor should now be in front of the text 08240000. This is where we will make the edit to allow CSS projectiles for this weapon.
17. Go to the second byte. In this case, that would be where you see 24. Highlight 24 and now comes the magic part. Take the value and subtract 20 from it. In this case, take 24 and subtract 20. You get 4. So, with 24 highlighted, type 04. Now, say that byte had been 20, you would again subtract 20 and get 00, and instead of typing 04, you would type 00.
18. Save bloodgulch.map. You can now quit HexEdit, we won't need it any more. Time to go back to HMT and make the projectile change.

------------Changing the Projectile-----------

19. You will have to reload bloodgulch.map because we have changed the file in HexEdit. Open bloodgulch.map in HMT again. Now open the Dependancy Swapper from Window > Dependancy Swapper, or by hitting ? + D (Apple + D). Scroll down to weap. Click it.
20. Click on weapons\sniper rifle\sniper rifle. Find the sniper rifles projectile. It will say proj weapons\sniper rifle\sniper bullet. Click that.
21. Below, click on the drop down menu and the new projectile you want. Quit HMT.
22. The final step is to play your map. All you have to do is change the map header back to the original demo header. Use HexEdit to do so, save the map, and fire up Halo with your new map. Anyone who joins your server will be able to see the change in projectile for the weapon you edited. Enjoy. :)

kaboose
Operative

Post by kaboose » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:19 pm

Great! Now how to import things into bloodgulch witout it crashing (After you have done everything like perfecting the model and what not.)

Yummy
Ranger

Post by Yummy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:53 pm

Ty Beast, I already know how to do this (thanks to Demon I think O_O) But it will be incredibly nice for some people who don't know how to.

Awesome

Maybe i'll make my own version in which you only use hexedit, and a calculator, and the HMT Plugins. No tools. I will even make you find the weapon meta without the key. :D

«Beast»
Ranger

Post by «Beast» » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:49 pm

Meh, tools are just to speed it up. Otherwise finding the meta's beginning can be a tad... well, difficult. I usually do this with just HexEdit and HMT because I know most weapons have 20 as the bit. I get the weapon meta from HMT, put that into HexEdit, and search for 20. I know which 20 I should edit, too. Practice makes perfect.
kaboose wrote:Great! Now how to import things into bloodgulch witout it crashing (After you have done everything like perfecting the model and what not.)
It's 1:49 AM right now, so tomorrow I'll write a tutorial on how to import items into Bloodgulch, exclusively for us Demo users. :)

Yummy
Ranger

Post by Yummy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:14 pm

«Beast» wrote:Meh, tools are just to speed it up. Otherwise finding the meta's beginning can be a tad... well, difficult. I usually do this with just HexEdit and HMT because I know most weapons have 20 as the bit. I get the weapon meta from HMT, put that into HexEdit, and search for 20. I know which 20 I should edit, too. Practice makes perfect.
kaboose wrote:Great! Now how to import things into bloodgulch witout it crashing (After you have done everything like perfecting the model and what not.)
It's 1:49 AM right now, so tomorrow I'll write a tutorial on how to import items into Bloodgulch, exclusively for us Demo users. :)
Yes, they are, but it's SO useful to use the hex. No one knows it as well as they should. I have always advocated knowing it, and will continue to. It's not difficult, all you have to do is search for it..."Weapons/sniperrifle/" or something like that then reverse the reflexive (offset+magic=previous reflexive), this will take you 4 bytes before the meta reflexive. Then, you will find its 4 byte meta reflexive, then boom, find the new reflexive value from that. It's not that bad. :P

Trinity.
SEAL

Post by Trinity. » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:47 pm

Hey uhhh Beast, when you said...
If we share our knowledge, our community can benefit greatly. That's one thing I've learned from other games. Their modding communities share their findings and that allows for others to expand on their ideas.
I said something exactly like that when I was talking about why all the noobs are leaving the MGM community.

Cause we've always been telling them that "they need to earn the right to know", but they're all gamers, they're fucking lazy.

Lol.
MGM Team Wraith
Xbox Live Gamertag: HybuR
Professional Halo Player

«Beast»
Ranger

Post by «Beast» » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:50 pm

Trinity. wrote:Hey uhhh Beast, when you said...
If we share our knowledge, our community can benefit greatly. That's one thing I've learned from other games. Their modding communities share their findings and that allows for others to expand on their ideas.
I said something exactly like that when I was talking about why all the noobs are leaving the MGM community.

Cause we've always been telling them that "they need to earn the right to know", but they're all gamers, they're fucking lazy.

Lol.
Sure, they need to earn the right to know, but consider this. Obviously, since they are searching for answers, they have the interest. If you start them off on a path and show them some pointers, they will be even more interested in learning what is to come.

Yummy
Ranger

Post by Yummy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:10 pm

Lol, I totally agree, but we all have been hypocritical of this. XD

«Beast»
Ranger

Post by «Beast» » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:31 pm

True that, indeed...

Syperium
Ranger

Post by Syperium » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:07 am

Lol, I don't believe I have...? Maybe I have. But, this tutorial will certainly help noobs.

?Demon 2.0?
Peon
Location: Plotting the single-handed destruction of microsayft, while fuckin' spida in da ass. <3 =D

Post by ?Demon 2.0? » Tue May 22, 2007 6:08 pm

¥ú[Mm]¥ wrote:Ty Beast, I already know how to do this (thanks to Demon I think O_O)
WUT U SAY NOOB???????
¥ú[Mm]¥ wrote:I will even make you find the weapon meta without the key. :D
And thanks to Yummy for telling me how to do that. Yummy is a filthy little noob who understands how Halo works. After he was on MGM for a month and I was here for... longer than a month... he was telling me how to find all these references in the map that I didn't even understand. <3

I figured out how to make 'em CSS myself, bitches. Well, I figured it out on the first day of summer camp and had to wait a week to try it. ^.^ Then I told Yummy. :D
Karahna wrote:I have a small penis. :(
PWNAGED!

draconic74
Green Beret

Post by draconic74 » Tue May 22, 2007 7:15 pm

Heh heh. I remember playing with Beast and his "charge shot=ghost, regular=biped" CSS mod. That was really strange. In the end, we ended up spawning so many ghosts that my Halo actually froze and force quit itself. XD

PS: Demon 2.0, your original Demon now only has 665 posts! OHNOEZOMG

In reply to the one lower, i have 1111 posts! woohoo! Time to blow that off cause I need to post something. :evil:
Last edited by draconic74 on Wed May 23, 2007 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

?Demon 2.0?
Peon
Location: Plotting the single-handed destruction of microsayft, while fuckin' spida in da ass. <3 =D

Post by ?Demon 2.0? » Tue May 22, 2007 10:50 pm

Check now. 8) I spammed the Mod Dev boards and called The Cheat a whore.
Karahna wrote:I have a small penis. :(
PWNAGED!

P!ckoff
Ranger

Post by P!ckoff » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:19 am

I assume no one reads this anymore, as it is old but I need a bit of help. It doesn't work with full. Can anyone either give me a link to a tut regarding full, or pm me the full codes? I assume the issue has to do with the initial 4FC code, as I dont know where he got that from. Also, does the CSS only apply to projectile changes, or can it also make any float edits made in eschaton CSS? For instance, can I preform the CSS projectiles process for the rocket, then instead of loading the map with HMT and the dswap, I could load it in eschaton and edit the speed so it is really, really slow and have everyone see it? If that is possible, say I want to make changes to a projectile AND swap it (such as speed changes to a plasma nade for use in pistol) should I change the speed, do the css, then swap or do the css, then swap, then edit the speed or what? I will also PM beast if this is looking like a dead topic.

THANKS!!
Image Xpro + 3D texture

Moxus
Delta Force

Post by Moxus » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:14 am

Ooooooh.... I know what you mean... I know what you mean.......

«Beast» wrote:Sure, they need to earn the right to know, but consider this. Obviously, since they are searching for answers, they have the interest. If you start them off on a path and show them some pointers, they will be even more interested in learning what is to come.
Unfortunately, not all people have the patience to go looking through Hexedit (which can look pretty imposing to new modders..) and find codes. When it comes to using tools like Eschaton (which doesn't appear as if one wrong move will do the whole map in), people seem to be more inclined to go in and mess around a bit and take away some knowledge.
{jihad} Pickoff wrote:I assume no one reads this anymore, as it is old but I need a bit of help. It doesn't work with full. Can anyone either give me a link to a tut regarding full, or pm me the full codes? I assume the issue has to do with the initial 4FC code, as I dont know where he got that from. Also, does the CSS only apply to projectile changes, or can it also make any float edits made in eschaton CSS? For instance, can I preform the CSS projectiles process for the rocket, then instead of loading the map with HMT and the dswap, I could load it in eschaton and edit the speed so it is really, really slow and have everyone see it? If that is possible, say I want to make changes to a projectile AND swap it (such as speed changes to a plasma nade for use in pistol) should I change the speed, do the css, then swap or do the css, then swap, then edit the speed or what? I will also PM beast if this is looking like a dead topic.

THANKS!!
It does seem that demo processes don't work for the Full version. It doesn't appear that it would make that much difference, but apparently it does....

--Moxus--
Kayar wrote:The Collective: Spamming its way to a better tomorrow.
Many thanks to the people who have made my years on MGM and on Halo Demo so memorable.