Alas for Avast

Halo modding and gaming related applications.
Monk34
Ranger

Post by Monk34 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:28 am

Sparky wrote:Oh no. The sky is falling. Stop the presses. :blah:
This application is no big deal.

Take this story:

Once upon a time, there was a huge oil industry that had a grip upon the industrial world and made billions of dollars every day from selling oil. One day, a smart man developed a way to efficiently extract hydrogen from water and used it to power his car. "Oh no," cried the oil industry. "He's going to ruin us - we have to kill him." So the oil industry killed him. But the technology lived on, and soon the entire world had a free, almost infinite source of very powerful energy. Everyone was happy, and the world no longer depended upon oil for energy. The planet's ecosystems thrived and global warming was understood more as the water vapors strengthened the atmosphere.
Very good anology......but what if we don't have halo full or CE, it just leaves us in the dust.

Dirk Gently
Commando

Post by Dirk Gently » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:32 am

Monk34 wrote:
Sparky wrote:Oh no. The sky is falling. Stop the presses. :blah:
This application is no big deal.

Take this story:

Once upon a time, there was a huge oil industry that had a grip upon the industrial world and made billions of dollars every day from selling oil. One day, a smart man developed a way to efficiently extract hydrogen from water and used it to power his car. "Oh no," cried the oil industry. "He's going to ruin us - we have to kill him." So the oil industry killed him. But the technology lived on, and soon the entire world had a free, almost infinite source of very powerful energy. Everyone was happy, and the world no longer depended upon oil for energy. The planet's ecosystems thrived and global warming was understood more as the water vapors strengthened the atmosphere.
Very good anology......but what if we don't have halo full or CE, it just leaves us in the dust.
then go buy it. Also, some people have a misconceived idea of what Halo CE is. Halo CE is not some magical application that will magically do everything for you. Halo CE just allows you to play user created maps and content without breaking the law about it.

Monk34
Ranger

Post by Monk34 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:34 am

Too bad nobody sells Halo Full for Mac anymore... it isn't even on ebay.

Dirk Gently
Commando

Post by Dirk Gently » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:36 am

seabeast
Green Beret

Post by seabeast » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:40 am

Halo CE has a different engine that allows it to recognize any map you put into it's maps folder with any name, so you don't have to replace maps, you just put it into the folder with any name you want, and it shows up on the map selection.

Monk34
Ranger

Post by Monk34 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:43 am

§èåßèè§4 wrote:Halo CE has a different engine that allows it to recognize any map you put into it's maps folder with any name, so you don't have to replace maps, you just put it into the folder with any name you want, and it shows up on the map selection.
That is SICK! Is Halo CE for Mac? I know you have to have Halo Full to get it, but I was just wondering.

Dirk Gently
Commando

Post by Dirk Gently » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:45 am

Monk34 wrote:
§èåßèè§4 wrote:Halo CE has a different engine that allows it to recognize any map you put into it's maps folder with any name, so you don't have to replace maps, you just put it into the folder with any name you want, and it shows up on the map selection.
That is SICK! Is Halo CE for Mac? I know you have to have Halo Full to get it, but I was just wondering.
NO!

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:53 am

bcnroot wrote:The cat is out of the box, take a look inside and see if it exists.
Someone converted all the halo full maps to demo. Congratulations, whoever you are, you've shown the modding community how to give Bungie the middle finger. While you're at it, add a virus to those files. Just for kicks. Then blame Bungie when people's computers choke.

We, the halo demo modding community know:
1. Halo modding (and any closed-source application modding) is illegal. Period.
2. All intellectual property rights remain with the original game's creators, even maps that were created with GearBox's Halo CE and HEK. The mod author has absolutely no legal rights to "their" maps.

With these two points in mind, it is up to the gaming community to realize that Halo, Halo CE, and Halo Demo are inherently modifiable. Yet making a mod is different from crossing content between the full and demo versions of Halo. Although there is never a change in intellectual property rights in this ordeal, it is far more objectionable to steal than to create something new.

Converting all the full maps to demo will not ruin our modding community, but it may permanently shut down the halo demo servers. Unfortunately, there are people out there who want to do just that, and they don't give a damn about modding. It is up to us to ignore and avoid those people at all costs. Ignore and avoid. Do not even acknowledge their presence, let their forum posts get buried under useful modding discussions.

With that said, this topic is not about posting illegal and abusive actions, so there is no point in deleting it - but I'm all for burying it.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Mike1122
Ranger

Post by Mike1122 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:49 am

im definetly not paying $120 for halo................. i got mine when apple still sold it for like $40. i would just install parrallels or bootcamp and run halo full from there and u can use halo CE, its what im going to do. Halo at Bestbuy for PC is only $10 lol

Excend
Commando

Post by Excend » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:04 pm

bcnroot wrote:The cat is out of the box, take a look inside and see if it exists.
-.- says i need to log in to read it, what is there?
TaxiService wrote:Roses are red
Violets are blue
What a shitty thread
Fuck all of you.

Slapzy
Ranger

Post by Slapzy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:10 pm

@ root: Thank god it was deleted.

zapconquest
Ranger

Post by zapconquest » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:22 pm

First of all, I'm pretty sure that it's not possible to convert protected maps. None of the ones I've tried that were protected have worked (they crash halo if you try to run them).

Secondly, people who made CE maps released them to the public and probably wouldn't care who was playing them. Maybe they'd even be happy to know more people played their maps.

Thirdly, to those who say this will ruin the demo community: sometime in the future, probably in your life time, they'll decide to take down the halo demo servers. This app may or may not speed this up. Have fun while you can.

Lastly, to Hi54, I think you're taking this way too seriously.

Mike1122
Ranger

Post by Mike1122 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:24 pm

the World wor map in the top 100 at halomaps.org was protected but it played fine except when you fire the sniper it crashed :S

Slapzy
Ranger

Post by Slapzy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:05 pm

zapconquest wrote: Lastly, to Hi54, I think you're taking this way too seriously.
This in fact, is very serious. In case your not following along, try reading halo's EULA license agreement. If you indeed violate it, bungie has the right, and the money if they wanted to, to press charges, and prosecute you to the fullest extent.

Do you know what that means?

A few K
Possible time in the slammer
A record which haunts your life
And a phailing reputation

Need I keep going?

seabeast
Green Beret

Post by seabeast » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:44 pm

Slappey wrote:
zapconquest wrote: Lastly, to Hi54, I think you're taking this way too seriously.
This in fact, is very serious. In case your not following along, try reading halo's EULA license agreement. If you indeed violate it, bungie has the right, and the money if they wanted to, to press charges, and prosecute you to the fullest extent.

Do you know what that means?

A few K
Possible time in the slammer
A record which haunts your life
And a phailing reputation

Need I keep going?
This really is bad (not sarcasm, just had to point out the phailing reputation. You know who you are) We need to get rid of this and quickly.