Texture Glitch - Alpha Channel (Semi-)Transparency "Tearing"

Everything about GhR and its mods.
ApexMods

Texture Glitch - Alpha Channel (Semi-)Transparency "Tearing"

Post by ApexMods » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:55 am

I noticed a graphics glitch with many map textures that have an alpha channel for (semi-) transparent surfaces. In-game you can often see a "tearing" effect - diagonal stripes that appear e.g. on the surface of water. This happens for me only on Mac, while on PC the same textures look just fine. And I am not talking about filename length or 5-bit alpha channel textures here.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix that? Is it fixable in PhotoShop at all, or is it a known bug of the Mac version of Ghost Recon?

Any help on this would be very much appreciated!
"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke, Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents (1770)

PUNiSHER™

Re: Texture Glitch - Alpha Channel (Semi-)Transparency "Tearing"

Post by PUNiSHER™ » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:21 pm

You need to fix the textures in Photoshop. You also need the RSB plugin for PC Photoshop to do it. Then you open the texture in Photoshop and export it as an .rsb. I don't remember what the settings have to be for exporting but I think it was 4 bit alpha. Then the texture looks fine when playing on your Mac and PC.

ApexMods

Re: Texture Glitch - Alpha Channel (Semi-)Transparency "Tearing"

Post by ApexMods » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:17 am

PUNiSHER™ wrote:You need to fix the textures in Photoshop. You also need the RSB plugin for PC Photoshop to do it. Then you open the texture in Photoshop and export it as an .rsb. I don't remember what the settings have to be for exporting but I think it was 4 bit alpha. Then the texture looks fine when playing on your Mac and PC.
I already re-exported the textures with PhotoShop CS2 and the latest RSB plugin, and I used the correct bit settings. This helps with the 'rainbow' textures found in many PC mods, but does not fix the alpha tearing I described. It seems to occur only under 32-bit color / z-buffer while being absent with 16-bit. Strange, indeed.
"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke, Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents (1770)