MGM Modding Pro Challenge

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

Sparky
Delta Force

MGM Modding Pro Challenge

Post by Sparky » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:20 am

Pass this challenge, and you are considered a pro at modding. Monoman had something like this for the Mod forum access a while back, but this is for an honorary badge and recognition rather than forum access privileges.
Hint: There is more than one way to slice a pizza.

Also, I'm writing a guide on how to accomplish this all. Of course, you still have to go through and do it yourself, but the guide should point you in the right directions. Or you can figure it out on your own.

Do all of the following in a single map file:

1. Make the two teams (and their flags, text displays, announcer voice sounds, HUD images, and related stuff) orange vs. green instead of red vs. blue, respectively. EDIT: You don't have to change the scoreboard name colors or the flag color at the top right hand side of the screen, but you can if you want.

2. Null the BSP and make a new map completely out of Hangar Walls. You are allowed to include additional scenery and objects, if you want. Organize the layout however you want, but make sure that everything affected by gravity falls onto a surface at the start of the game. You should use a large portion of the original map's available 3-D space.

3. Change the appearance of an existing weapon, then colorize its HUD pickup icon, give it a new name and projectile, change the projectile behavior and modify the ammo type and count, then use an appropriate existing HUD.

4. Modify the motion sensor. Change its general appearance, make it huge in size, increase its effective distance and sensitivity, and place it in the middle of the HUD.

5. Move all the player spawn points to various locations around the map, and place both flags right in the center of the map. Make sure that all the spawn points work as they should, and be sure to use 72 different spawn points in all, enabled for all gametypes.

6. Import a pelican. Give it better handling. Allow access to, and use of, all the seats. Give the seats appropriate names. Rename the pelican to "Super Cool Pelican" (or "SCP" where necessary) and change text values appropriately. Place 5 pelicans on the map in various locations.

7. Add artificial intelligence: banshees that fly around, high above the map, and that shoot at each other but don't destroy each other. They should not shoot at other players, either.

8. Completely revamp the ghost vehicle: give it new physics, handling, weapons, a new name, and overhaul its appearance.

9. Rename your map. Give it an appropriate screenshot (not including the HUD) and use two of these screenshots in the map file: the first should be used as the description image that shows up in the menu for the map name after it's loaded and should be a "summary" image, and the second should be used as the loading image and should be a screenshot of the first thing you see when on the Red Team in a typical game of CTF.

Complete the above, and you have earned the title of "Halo Modding Pro". You will need to protect your map and then release it here and / or to the HDM Mod Database using the prefix "|MPC|" for "Modding Pro Challenge", followed by the name of your mod. (Those are also requirements of the challenge.)
(let's expand this list, this is not comprehensive yet)
Last edited by Sparky on Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Re: MGM Modding Pro Challenge

Post by Mgalekgolo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:22 am

this is easy shit sparky.
also i made a bigger bg(nulled) with black energy bridges.
also by ai's in shees, would you change the AI perception radius?
i feel like i did all this awhile ago
Yarok wrote:There may be a giant dildo protruding from your forehead.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:27 am

This is meant for new modders to do as a challenge to gain more experience modding.

Get to it! And no sharing your work; it must be original. I'll make my own version, too.
Either you are groping for answers, or you are asking God and listening to Jesus.

kiddten
Commando

Post by kiddten » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:30 am

well since you have no proof, make this and impress us POA.
also, Sparky, do we have to do this all in one map? or a seperate map for each challenge.
EDIT: I See.
kiddten, on most things nowadays wrote:no
TaxiService wrote:HERE IS THE GODDAMN WALDO YOU CHEATING DICK
๖ۣۜĐeяP wrote:U MOTHER FUCKER AND U FUCKING PARENTS AND FUCKED OFF ASS HOLES

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:35 am

Can we make this a sticky, please?

Flaming Bunnies, I have a tendency to make many revisions after-the-fact ;)

kiddten
Commando

Post by kiddten » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:11 pm

I have a question,
Sparky wrote: 3. Change the appearance of an existing weapon, then colorize its HUD pickup icon, give it a new name and projectile, change the projectile behavior and modify the ammo type and count, then use an appropriate existing HUD.
do we have to use a existing hud? could we we make our own meters and such?
also, do we need 5 pelicans? how about one per team, so I can add ghosts? also, do we have to name the peli "Super Cool Pelican"? so yeah, do we have to follow this by the letter?

Mgalekgolo
Commando

Post by Mgalekgolo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:55 pm

im in the middle of a mod right now, but i will get to this soon
Yarok wrote:There may be a giant dildo protruding from your forehead.

Zodiark
SEAL

Post by Zodiark » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:50 pm

Any other SCEN besides hanger walls?

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:36 pm

I really like the idea! It will be good to have people to make mods that require general knowledge!

but wow, sparky. o_o what the shit is this.
Sparky wrote:1. Make the two teams (and their flags, text displays, announcer voice sounds, HUD images, and related stuff) orange vs. green instead of red vs. blue, respectively.
we cannot even change team colors yet! i was kidding when saying that putting a yellow bitmap instead of a white one will yield orange and green!!

and this!!
Sparky wrote:7. Add artificial intelligence: banshees that fly around, high above the map, and that shoot at each other but don't destroy each other. They should not shoot at other players, either.
we are not on CE, man! we cannot do that yet!!

i ask for a revisitation of the minimum requirements! Image
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig

Smythe
Commando

Post by Smythe » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:50 am

yeah some of this stuff is impossible. i can't be fux'd unless it's something we can judge.

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:53 am

Flaming Bunnies wrote:I have a question,
Sparky wrote: 3. Change the appearance of an existing weapon, then colorize its HUD pickup icon, give it a new name and projectile, change the projectile behavior and modify the ammo type and count, then use an appropriate existing HUD.
do we have to use a existing hud? could we we make our own meters and such?
also, do we need 5 pelicans? how about one per team, so I can add ghosts? also, do we have to name the peli "Super Cool Pelican"? so yeah, do we have to follow this by the letter?
Yep, you should follow the guidelines that I gave; one of the goals is to have explored different quirks of the game engine, such as the blue warthog respawn glitch. It would be even more awesome to add your own details to it; making your own meters would be even better, but that's going beyond the challenge...

Taxi, you can use the Sound Injector Alpha to inject your sounds into the map (internalize first?) and HUD stuff is a matter of unhi and bitm tags, and also maybe some shader stuff not found in the maps, but in that shaders folder in the Halo game folder.

kiddten
Commando

Post by kiddten » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:05 am

also, you have some contradicting rules.
Sparky wrote: 2. Null the BSP and make a new map completely out of Hangar Walls. Don't move any spawn points, but make sure that everything falls onto a flat wall surface at the start of the game.

5. Move all the player spawn points to various locations around the map, and place both flags right in the center of the map. Make sure that all the spawn points work as they should, and be sure to use 72 different spawn points in all, enabled for all gametypes.

Häwk-Eye
Peon

Post by Häwk-Eye » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:07 am

TaxiService wrote:i was kidding when saying that putting a yellow bitmap instead of a white one will yield orange and green!!
I tried this, it doesn't work
Darktails the Anti-Hero wrote:Sexual Predators are everywhere 0.o
Sparky wrote:You should exercise your research bone.
~Häwk-Eye~

Sparky
Delta Force

Post by Sparky » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:09 am

Thanks, Bunnies, I'll have to reword that.

EDIT: revised #2.

TaxiService
Night Stalker

Post by TaxiService » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:24 am

...so you want people to record in their voice "Orange team, flag return" and inject it into the map...? o_o what about you do this stuff too, sparky? but using mac tools only.
Try using halo sounds injector, see if it works. :-\

also
Sparky wrote:1. Make the two teams (and their flags, text displays, announcer voice sounds, HUD images, and related stuff) orange vs. green instead of red vs. blue, respectively.
you mean different huds for each team? orange team should have orange text? green team, green text? how would you do that!!
  • TaxiService! Shitposting since 2007!
MGM Sig