Running a dedicated server with a custom map

Everything about HD, MD, and their mods.

Moderator: Halo Moderators

shack1108

Running a dedicated server with a custom map

Post by shack1108 » Fri May 09, 2014 4:03 pm

Hey guys, sorry to bother you, but I've been working on this forever and can't seem to get it to work so I decided to try you guys. All I want to do is run a dedicated server that cycles through a couple custom maps (namely Hell Gulch, House of the Dead, and Halo Star Wars). I've followed all the instructions and the server starts and runs SAPP without any warnings, but I just can't join it. And the server works with built in maps like crossing.

Code: Select all

sv_name Hithere
sv_public TRUE
sv_maxplayers 16
sv_password 
sv_rcon_password blah
sv_mapcycle_timeout 5
load
sv_mapcycle_begin
Here's my sapp init.txt

no_lead 1
afk_kick 220
map_load hellgulch
map_load houseofthedead
map_load starwars
sapp_mapcycle 1
And here's my sapp mapcycle.txt

hellgulch:slayer
houseofthedead:slayer
starwars:slayer
I renamed the files from "heh_1.map" to "hellgulch.map", "house_2.map" to "houseofthedead.map", and "starwarsb_3.map" to "starwars.map" just to make sure the underscores weren't causing any issues. They weren't. Thanks for your help!

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Re: Running a dedicated server with a custom map

Post by nil » Fri May 09, 2014 4:15 pm

You don't want to rename them (it won't work).

So instead of hellgulch, houseofthedead, starwars use heh_1, house_2, starwarsb_3 respectively.

Also with map_load and in your sapp's mapcycle file, you need to include the entire name (e.g.: heh_1).

And if you want to use SAPP's map cycle you need to execute mapcycle_begin rather than sv_mapcycle_begin
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

shack1108

Post by shack1108 » Fri May 09, 2014 4:31 pm

Hmmmm...so i un-renamed all the files and changed "sv_mapcycle_begin" to "mapcycle_begin" and the server still won't load. I've tried connecting via direct IP and local IP with no luck. The console says the server is running but I can't join.

init.txt(main):

sv_name Hithere
sv_public TRUE
sv_maxplayers 16
sv_password 
sv_rcon_password blah
sv_mapcycle_timeout 5
load
mapcycle_begin
init.txt(sapp):

no_lead 1
afk_kick 220
map_load heh_1
map_load house_2
map_load starwarsb_3
sapp_mapcycle 1
mapcycle.txt(sapp):

heh_1:slayer
house_2:slayer
starwarsb_3:slayer
and here's a screenshot of the console:

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon May 12, 2014 4:26 pm

I would try to load the dedi with a map that works, then try to execute commands via rcon in-game to try to use a) map_load on a custom map and b) sv_map to a custom map. This might make it easier to trouble shoot. Other than that I can't see anything wrong off the top of my head. You do not necessarily need to use a SAPP map cycle and could use sv_mapcycle_add (after load) and sv_mapcycle_begin if you wish.
I am no longer active to Halo or MGM, and don't guarantee a response on the forums or through email. I will however linger around the discord room for general chatting. It's been fun!

shack1108

Post by shack1108 » Mon May 12, 2014 5:44 pm

Hmm...I just tried that and I successfully got on the server on another computer while on bloodgulch, executed all the commands, and the game ended successfully and displayed the post gamescreen. Unfortunately, it just stayed on that screen for 10 seconds than said "network connection lost", and when I try to reconnect it doesn't work. I made sure to select the correct modded map before I launched HaloMD so I'm not sure what's causing it. Thanks for your help though!

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Mon May 12, 2014 5:58 pm

I find it really odd map_load doesn't crash, but going to the next map does (if you lose connection and can't connect, most likely it's because it crashed). There are very few mods that won't work on the dedi but I think all of the ones you listed should be fine. Odd.

[EDIT]: Are you using the OS X build? And if so, did you run the little program included that installs the 'Maps.'

shack1108

Post by shack1108 » Tue May 13, 2014 3:47 am

Yes, and yes...so unfortunately I still don't know what's causing it. I found it odd too that it successfully loaded the map but wouldn't run it.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Wed May 14, 2014 4:24 am

If you right click on HaloMD Server app, show package contents, go into drive_c -> HaloMD_Server -> Maps, you should see your custom maps in there correct? (It's linked with your MD's maps folder). I'll try to run a server later today and verify that this still works.

shack1108

Post by shack1108 » Wed May 14, 2014 7:58 am

Yep, they're in there.

nil
Halo Moderator
Halo Moderator

Post by nil » Sun May 18, 2014 1:39 pm

I can reproduce this problem with bigassv2_1. Not sure why this is happening yet :|.